Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stupid 744t firewire question  (Read 1533 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
stupid 744t firewire question
« on: July 05, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
im at home, and about to head back down to HSMF and copy some of ian's recordings off of his 744T. need a quick and dirty answer on what to bring

he told me to bring firewire. my netbook only has usb2

does the 744 act as a host? do i need to hook it up to a computer via firewire, or can i go straight from 744>firewire drive?

im assuming it does not provide any power to the drive in this case.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: stupid 744t firewire question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »
You should read the sections of the 744T dealing with file copy.  Here is a link:

http://www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/744t_en.pdf

The quick answer is the 744T can copy from its internal drive and/or its CF card to an external FireWire drive without a computer in between.  Note the external drive must be formated FAT32.

The 744T will power portable drives via FireWire.  I have two external drives that I power via FireWire all the time and it works great.  However, Sound Devices says that the 744T should be powered by both the internal battery and an external power source (best to use AC power) when an external drive is used.  My 702 and 788T will run an external drive on just the internal battery, but common sense tells me that you don't really want to do that for too long.  It would be bad to loose power during a file copy.

Offline JackHenry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: stupid 744t firewire question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com