Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: r09hr setting for lithium batteries  (Read 1506 times)

Offline daze

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
r09hr setting for lithium batteries
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:42:00 AM by daze »

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: r09hr setting for lithium batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:53:12 AM »
So far all decks I know of with user replaceable AA cells do not have a lithium (L91 type) photo lighium cell battery setting.  Suggest using the Alkaline cell setting as the starting voltage for both types is similar; the L91 usually starts at ~1.8 volts vs. 1.65 volts for alkaline.

Problem is Lithium acts more like a NiCAD/NiMH (1.25 volt) cell when getting near depletion with the cell voltage dropping very quickly when exhausted, and using the Alkaline setting gives little warning of lithium nearing the 'drop-out' stage. 

Fortunately most decks still have time to save the recording file and shut down before the lithium cell quits working. 

But the recordist often finds the deck shut down without much warning unless knowing when it's time to change the battery by the number of hours its been used and/or has closely watched the gage for indications of cell voltage drop.

I think to have seen the newer Sony PCM-M10 deck shipping this October will have a third 'lithium cell' battery gage setting in addition to the standard NiMH and alkaline cell settings.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:58:56 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com