Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2, recording via LINE IN gives a mono result....why?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline LeChti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H2, recording via LINE IN gives a mono result....why?
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
Hello,
Here is my problem : whenever I try to record via the LINE IN of my Zoom H2, I get a mono result.

These are the two situations:

1) Taping a gig, with the Zoom H2, SP-CMC-2 microphones and a SP-SPSB-8 battery-box. I taped the opening act with the BB plugged on the LINE IN, and recorded only on the left channel (which reminds us of the manual : "If a mono mic is used, only the left channel signal will be recorded.", but the mics are stereo here!). When I realised it, I switched to the EXT MIC IN plug (like my neighbor, who uses exactly the same mics and recorder), and got a stereo result.

2) For testing sake, I tried to record the radio, with a simple jack cable.....same result, I got a signal only on the left channel if I plug it to the LINE IN, and a stereo recording on the EXT MIC IN.

I could use the EXT MIC IN plug all the time, but I'm a bit scared I might damage something.

Looks like someone already spotted the problem, but they didn't get an answer (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=89082.msg1340844#msg1340844)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Recorder : Zoom H2
Mics : SP-CMC-2
Battery Box : SP-SPSB-8 (9V)
Beginner taper!

nl

Re: Zoom H2, recording via LINE IN gives a mono result....why?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
Your Line In jack is probably broken. Happens all the time with Zoom H2's, including mine.

Offline LeChti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
Aww, that's bad news...
How do you deal with it then? Use the EXT MIC IN plug with Plug-in power set on OFF?
Beginner taper!

nl

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
Can't you get it fixed under warranty?

I guess going mic in works, but it is noisy. Mine broke years ago and I just bought a different recorder instead because I didn't trust it any more. I still use the Zoom H2 occasionally as a backup but only with the built in mics.

Offline LeChti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
I think it's still under warranty yes...will double check
It was more for the next 2 weeks....got 3 gigs planned, so I was looking for an emergency procedure  ;)

Thanks a lot for all your answers.
Beginner taper!

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »
The same thing happened to me with my Zoom H2. It is a really poorly built unit. My advice to you is to see if you can maybe return your H2 for a refund and get a Sony PCM-M10.

It is only $199.00 at B&H right now and you also receive a free case through rebate (Bing cashback can also be used).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M10_Portable_Audio_Recorder.html

I have returned my Zoom H2 after the Line in jack broke down (while using it for only the second time) and bought a Sony PCM-M10 and I am really happy with it.

It is a much superior recorder and it is only $70 mote than the H2.

Offline peter.star

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »
Probably you've killed your line in with the battery box... Same thing happened to my H2, when I've plugged my homemade B.B. Took it back to the dealer, and was repaired under warranty. My solution was, to not plug the b.b. directly but trough an headphone amp. My guess that until the output caps are charged, a small amount of DC gets out and kills the unit. But it's just a guess. Take it back, and say it's went wrong suddenly!

Offline LeChti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
Thanks to you 2 for your advice...what surprises me peter.star is that my bb is not homemade at all....nothing is actually, I'm a terrible technician  ;D And it was the first time I used ext mics, so saying 'it's gone wrong suddenly" isn't a lie!
I found a few shop that sold recorders, including the H2, in my town....will try to see them, and if they can't help, I'll have to deal without my H2 for a couple of weeks, time to send it back to the dealer I bought it from (I bought it new, online).

Once again, thanks for your answers....I didn't expect that really, I thought I had done something wrong that I could easily fix....too bad!  :-[

Cheers
Beginner taper!

Offline peter.star

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
BTW Edirol R9 also died from the bb plugged in to the line in...

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
I think it was just a bad batch of them. I had an H2 for awhile a couple years ago. It lost the right chan after pushing it with a sound pro's batt box... I spoke to zoom about it and they wanted 75 bucks an hour to repair it even though it was less than a week old (bought it from amazon). I then got a hold of amazon told them the issue they sent me a new one overnight had me return mine back (on their dime). The new model I had worked flawlessly. Never had the issue again. I have a feeling it was just a bad run of them as it only happens every now and then. There are plenty of people out there running mics > batt box > zoom h2's that are not experiencing the issue. try exchanging it crossing fingers that  you get one from a different batch.

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline deadwing

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
I've had two H2 that have both developed faults on the line in socket. First one went back, got a replacement from the vendor, the second went faulty after only a few weeks use. I always made sure I'd got everything plugged in before switching the unit on  as it was suggested to me that plugging things in 'hot' could have lead to the line in jack going faulty on the first unit

My battery box has also gone faulty, so I've been using a pair of CA-14 cards via the mic in with plug-in power switch on and have been getting nice results at loud (VERY loud) gigs. My kid will be taking this unit to uni for recording lectures using the internals so I'll be looking to change then. I like the H2 but I'll be shopping around before buying... the new Roland looks interesting

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 02:36:41 AM »
I like the H2 but I'll be shopping around before buying... the new Roland looks interesting
For $199 (B&H photo, free shipping to USA), the Sony PCM-M10 would be the machine to consider. I just got one and it seems solid, and can handle a much hotter line signal than the H2.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
i think mine is still ok, but i noticed the line in is real hot.  i need to use -10 to -30 db pads when i hook up to sbd's otherwise it brickwalls.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com