Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD 788t at 96K or Zaxcom Fusion 12 at 48k - which will have better audio?  (Read 4668 times)

Offline AB52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I am debating this. I know this is a difficult question to answer and ideally I would have both and figure it out myself - but the likelihood of that happening is slim. 

I can get an SD 788t and later get another one and they will sync sample accurate - and have 16 tracks at 96. Cost about $12,000 plus.

Or I can have 12 tracks at 48K with a Zaxcom Fusion 12 for about $8500. (I only need 12 tracks)

Will there be any significant sound difference between the SD at 96k and the Zaxcom at 48K?

Zaxcom is suppose to have better pres (for the 8 channels - the other 4 are line in)

Thanks for help with this.
AB

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: SD 788t at 96K or Zaxcom Fusion 12 at 48k - which will have better audio?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
Does the material and end medium justify 96k?

If I'm dropping that sort of coin, it better be a requirement for me to care about it as a factor, and short of taping bats or sound effects for movies, I can't think of anything I need above 24khz.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:47:14 PM »
If you only need 12 tracks another option is a 788t and a 744t for about the same coin as the Zaxcom; but that still leaves which sounds better unanswered.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
I understand. Plus the 788t will sync with another 788t sample accurate.  It will not be sample accurate with a 744t - though they will sync.

And in response to the other post - the 48k recording on the fusion (when all 12 tracks are engaged) - will likely be a world beat type situation or rock.  Very rarely classical.

If you only need 12 tracks another option is a 788t and a 744t for about the same coin as the Zaxcom; but that still leaves which sounds better unanswered.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »
I understand. Plus the 788t will sync with another 788t sample accurate.  It will not be sample accurate with a 744t - though they will sync.

And in response to the other post - the 48k recording on the fusion (when all 12 tracks are engaged) - will likely be a world beat type situation or rock.  Very rarely classical.

two things:

1) True, they won't be sample accurate as far as start/stop, but they will be clocked together. In my experience, I've seen multiple 722s that were c-linked and were not truely sample accurate either (the slave started late and ended early, but it was only off by an 1/8th of a second in both sections, and it was clocked).

2) Given that information, I don't think the lack of 96khz is a stopping point. Pre-amp quality, ADC quality, along with user quirks would easily take precedent over that to me.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
Thanks Page.  I suppose even the are not sample synced - as long as they go into a DAW and can be aligned - that would be fine.

The tough question is whether the SD at 96K actually sounds better than the Zaxcom at 48K.

I agree with you about the mic pres, converters, the internal clock, etc all probably matter more.

THANKS again for your help.
AB

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
A couple of things:

1. SD claims that multiple non-788t boxes linked together will be sample accurate.  Quoting from their "788T Linking with Multiple 7-Series Recorders" Sound Note:

"Linking multiple 702/702T/722/744T Recorders
When two or more of the 702, 702T, 722, or 744T recorders are linked, all linked inputs are sample and phase-accurate. No compensation is required between units."

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/linking-multiple-7-series/

2. I think the Zaxcom will run 12 channels at 96k.  Looking at page 156 of their latest manual, they claim recording at 192k limits you to 6 channels.  I guess the assumption is you can record 12 channels at 96k.  However, the manual is a bit vague about this point.  Like the 788t, the Zaxcom limits the availability of digital effects at higher sample rates.  That little DSP must be giving its all at 12 x 96k.

And, for whatever this is worth, it has been my experience that a well designed digital system sounds as good at 48k as it does at 96k.  There are many, many other factors much more important than sampling rates.  I guess it is nice to be able to point out that one's recorder will go to "11".

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
All true - except that when I called Zaxcom (TWICE) - they said 12 channels are restricted to 48k.  But that may not matter like you say.
  And while the non-788t series recorders with by sample accurate with each other, not so with the 788t and one of them. Though a 788t will be sample accurate with another 788t.

Still do not know whether I will go with the 788t or the Zaxcom.  It changes every day!

A couple of things:

1. SD claims that multiple non-788t boxes linked together will be sample accurate.  Quoting from their "788T Linking with Multiple 7-Series Recorders" Sound Note:

"Linking multiple 702/702T/722/744T Recorders
When two or more of the 702, 702T, 722, or 744T recorders are linked, all linked inputs are sample and phase-accurate. No compensation is required between units."

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/linking-multiple-7-series/

2. I think the Zaxcom will run 12 channels at 96k.  Looking at page 156 of their latest manual, they claim recording at 192k limits you to 6 channels.  I guess the assumption is you can record 12 channels at 96k.  However, the manual is a bit vague about this point.  Like the 788t, the Zaxcom limits the availability of digital effects at higher sample rates.  That little DSP must be giving its all at 12 x 96k.

And, for whatever this is worth, it has been my experience that a well designed digital system sounds as good at 48k as it does at 96k.  There are many, many other factors much more important than sampling rates.  I guess it is nice to be able to point out that one's recorder will go to "11".

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »
I vote for the Zaxcom.   

Much better sounding preamps make up for any loss in available 48-96-192 resolution IMO.

If I were going to make the upgrade to 8+ tracks I would start and stop at the Zaxcom boxes. 

:ducks from the Nagra crowd:

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
That is where I am at.  Heck - those pres may be so good - I may use them next to my boutique pres in my studio.

I vote for the Zaxcom.   

Much better sounding preamps make up for any loss in available 48-96-192 resolution IMO.

If I were going to make the upgrade to 8+ tracks I would start and stop at the Zaxcom boxes. 

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
Interesting you mention the Nagra crowd.  The Nagra VI seems like a great recorder.  But in the U.S. - in order to get 8 tracks at 96k for instance, you have to pay $8200 for the recorder and then $1000-$2000 on a great set of converters to match the level of audio quality on the other channels.  That is an expensive proposition.  I would be glad to be wrong about this.  There is a lot about the Nagra I like.

Best,
AB

I vote for the Zaxcom.   

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:31:24 AM »
The 788t records 12 channels, correct?

With c-link and word clock sync a 788t and 7xx are not not sample accurate? Hard to believe. Why not? What if you sync a 788t to a 7xx vs 7xx to a 788t?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
The 788t records 12 channels, correct?

With c-link and word clock sync a 788t and 7xx are not not sample accurate? Hard to believe. Why not? What if you sync a 788t to a 7xx vs 7xx to a 788t?

788s can do 12 tracks, but only 8 inputs. As I read the manual, the other 4 are mixdowns and stuff like that.

As for not being sample accurate, they won't start/stop and contain the same number of samples. Known bug, and they can still do word clocking, but they will be off as far as X samples in a file from recorder A vs recorder B. To it's credit, I've c-linked a 2x 722s once before and they didn't contain the same number of samples (maybe 1-2 seconds were on one file that wasn't on the other; 1/2 sec @ the beginning, 1 second on the end) so I don't think it's a flawless process in general. SD talks about the delay to calculate and you could program your tracks to delay properly if you wanted to do that, but it's more work.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com