Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth filming help  (Read 14446 times)

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Stealth filming help
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
Im going to a gig on friday 14th october and i really want to film it,so any ideas/help from anyone who has done it.Or any suggestions from anyone who might just have a good idea about it.I have filmed stealth at this venue before,but im sure there must be a better way than it was done.Its a small 400 seater venue and i will be on the back row of seat's in a slightly raised area.Last time i just hid my camera under my hoodie and made sure i had the camera set as good as possible,exposure/pointing at the stage so as to get all of it in properly etc,and just let it roll.I just wonderd if anyone could pass on any little tips via a pm.Incase anyone wants to know im using  a SONY DCR-PC9E.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Stealth filming help
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
Wear a diaper if it's a long show.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »
These days it's easier get away with video recording at concerts as everybody has an LCD screen out in the open.

I would recommend bringing a couple of friends who can be used as 'blockers' (Have them sit to your left and right). If you can't bring anybody, maybe ask the people sitting next to you to help you out.

Are you going to be actively shooting the show (ie. zoom and panning) or is it going to be a static shot?

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:45:43 AM »
I think its going to be easier/safer just a static shot,happy if i can get that.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:50:13 AM »
small little quality digital cam and dont bother sealthing
there arent too many bands that care about that anymore

my other advise would be to ask the band if they would let you film.  alot of times bands will say yes

Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline JayBTV

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
Crotch the cam, get a good spot, and once you start just go balls out.  Like someone else mentioned with everyone having a phone now lcd lights won't be an instant red flag.  Most camcorders will let you flip the LCD up or down (parallel to the ground) so tilt it on an angle while filming to limit the light.  I had a buddy who used to put those plastic tint stickers over it but I never felt that was necessary.

One other trick that I use and I came up w/ it on my own is for a minitripod.  Target sells a piece of shit one for $20 (brand starts w/ a T) that has these radio antenna metal legs but this might work with others.  Basically it's small enough that if you wear a flannel (or button-down shirt) over a T-Shirt you can stick one of the legs through the label loop on the back of the flannel.  That'll hang the tripod down your back almost parallel to your spine.  Hopefully it's cold enough to wear something extra (hoodie) which will prevent a little bulge.

I taped the Pumpkins in LA last week using this method.  The tripod sucks if you have to adjust it (Re: people sitting for some songs / standing for others) but the results will be much better than if you do it handheld.

I always crotch the camera.  Stick it in a plastic grocery bag, put it in between your legs under your nuts, and just don't think about it.  If you get caught just be honest and perhaps find a way to try again.  Never gotten caught w/ a crotched camcorder though......
@Copperpot5

Offline JayBTV

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »
Actually just googled your camcorder.  Eh.  Might be hard to crotch that thing  :)

I'd get a new one to be honest - if you're really serious about taping.  I've been using a Panasonic HD camcorder with 42x Optical.  Thing is as small as a toilet paper roll and from the back of a theater you can still get great (non-digital zoom) shots.  It's a low end camera - you can definitely get better quality for a higher price (better in low-light etc) but for $300 or something it's worth it.  Also watch www.woot.com they had a great deal on a refurbished Canon 1080p 20x optical Camcorder yesterday for $199.....went quck though....

Been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-SD80K-Card-Camcorder-Black/dp/B004I43MH2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318435610&sr=1-4

If the band allows normal cameras just get one of the Panasonic Lumix cameras.  They do 1080p and some have 20x+ optical now.  They're $200 to $300 but if cameras are allowed you can film right out in the open and they really can't say anything about it.  Quality for those is pretty damn good....

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:10:30 PM by JayBTV »
@Copperpot5

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:08 PM »
Actually just googled your camcorder.  Eh.  Might be hard to crotch that thing  :)
Not sure if you were joking but the OP has a Sony DCR-PC9E. It's one of the smallest miniDV cameras available. He'll have no issue getting it into the venue :)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »
It's one of the smallest miniDV cameras available. He'll have no issue getting it into the venue :)

What if it gets stuck in his crotch?

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »
now at the times where normal P/S cameras make good movies i don't recommend to go with a camcorder into a venue (exceptional you've got a really high end model but they are also expensive).

for time limited cameras, manage to just stop the recording and restart between songs . or get unlimited us models like the lumix zs3.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
I really wanted to use the dcr-pc9e,but trying to think of other options i have.Just looked at a clip i did with my kodak zi8,and its not too bad,so maybe that's a safer option.Just really wanted to use the sony for a hard copy on tape,thats the main reason,and just not sure if the kodak will last the whole set,but i dont plan on doing loads of zooms.I also have a canon hv30,but no hdv tapes for it,and dont like to use standard def tapes in that machine.So for size,convinience,i think the kodak has won,so now just need to hope i can get it all filmed.Incase anyone is interested the band im taping is the beat.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »
Mini dv tapes and hdv tapes are the same.One just costs more.

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:33:47 AM »
Ok so after a lot of thinking and changing my mind im going for the dcr-pc9e.Ive got a good idea what im going to do now,and camera is charging as i type.

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
  • The Y1K problem caused the dark ages!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
now at the times where normal P/S cameras make good movies i don't recommend to go with a camcorder into a venue (exceptional you've got a really high end model but they are also expensive).

for time limited cameras, manage to just stop the recording and restart between songs . or get unlimited us models like the lumix zs3.

Although the US version of the zs-3 can in theory record non-stop, my experience has been otherwise.  I always stop the camera in between songs (or pair of songs).  The few times I have let it run for 15+ minutes it started acting flakey (zoom no longer worked etc.) and the last time it completely froze and I had to take the battery out to get it back to normal.  What puzzles me is that I have recorded concerts where the time between songs was minimal, but stopping/starting still worked.  Initially I thought the freezing was a heat issue, but now I'm beginning to think that the card may be the culprit? 

Is there anyone who runs the zs-3 nonstop with no problems?

To get back on topic: Point-and-Shoots do offer some great recording advantages vs actual video cameras.  However, if you wish to record a concert and not have to worry about getting nabbed, isolate yourself in an area (usually near the back but not always) where essentially no one is behind you.  Good luck!
Mics: CA-14 cards and omnis
Preamp: CA 9100 (not currently in use - wanna buy it???)
Recorder: TASCAM DR-2D
Video: Sony hx9v; Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (old faithful)

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
Is there anyone who runs the zs-3 nonstop with no problems?

I've only done it twice so far (22mins or so) but haven't noticed any problems... Be interested to hear if other people have had problems like yours as the uninterrupted recrding feature was a big factor in my decision to buy.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com