Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power choices  (Read 2926 times)

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Power choices
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
Well I am at a point of looking at some options for powering my rig. I have a PMD660 (I may sell not sure) a PMD661 (which I just got and it came with a USB power cable); the preamp is  Little Big Box and a Pair of Sony C38 B mics. Well the Big Box has two 9 volt trays and I get 3 and half to 4 hours out of a new set of 9 volts. Now I can hot swap the 9 volts. I also have a MP3300 which I used for the PMD660.

OK now is where my mind goes nuts. I would like to improve the use of the Little Big Box since well I believe you all get it. My options are Lithium Ion rechargeable 9 volts (2 with charger 50 bucks plus shipping. send the unit back to Jon and have the din 3 plug installed(70 bucks plus shipping). Then I could use the MP3300 to power it; if I remember correctly that a cable is provided to allow a RC battery to power it. The PMD661 I could just use the MP3300 or order a USB battery (several choices 50-100 bucks); then again from what I have read I could just buy a good AA charger with a decent set or two of rechargeable AA batteries for it.

Well I thought this might spur a good discussion here.
a side note the GF's job is taking her to Singapore and Indonesia next week, maybe I could have her look for something there for me
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
Re: Power choices
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
Digger, your choices depend on the situations you need the gear for. I assume you are looking for more runtimes. The din-3 plug is a great idea as you can get cable to run Tekkeons, 9V DVD or RC batteries, and have the dual battery tray for lighter uses.

The PMD-661 is a beast on its own, and my vote is for a battery system that will NEVER send voltage more than 5v.

Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »
When I had the 661, I used a USB battery. Lots of options that way. Since you're using a pre, it will sip batteries. BTW - is this Stan? If so, you clamped to my stand at Furthur in Raleigh. Killer mics!!  :headphones:
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
I use a Tekkeon MP3450 with USB cable or Sanyo Eneloop Low Self Discharge "AA"s with PMD661.   When running the Eneloop's I like to change batteries between sets.  If you're not aware, there's a menu setting in the PMD661 to toggle between rechargeable's or alkaline's. 

Either external or internal rechargeable's are definitely the way to go with the PMD661 cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendly. 
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Yes this is Stan, I should see you in Cary. Those Sony's really eat the batteries in the Little Box. Jon says I should get about 10 hours but 4 is about the norm. I sent it is for the Din 3 and a switch to disable the phantom power (the Sony's can run with internal 9 volts for about 200 hours).  I will need to decide on the external battery option still.

For the PMD661 I do have the USB power cable so I may just order one of those supplies or use the MP3300 if I find a good deal on the DVD or RC battery.

DigiGal Thank You for the info on the setting I have not gotten that far with the 661 and probably would not have looked for it until a problem showed up.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »
Buy another 9v Tray...build a dummy 9v out of wood with hardwired terminals...drill a hole thru the new 9v Tray snake the wires from the dummy 9v and hook it up to a DVD battery....that is how we did it back in the D7-D8 days but used a D or C cell tray

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com