Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know this battery?  (Read 8532 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Anyone know this battery?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »
Nice find. Just ordered one.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »
Ditto, if I didn't already own 10 5300-6000 mah DVD batts I would be all over this.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
Their math does not add up correctly for the ratings they give.   So it makes me wonder?  This looks like the same Ebay battery that was supposed to be high power but turned out they were not supplying the same battery that they advertised.  Curious to hear back once they arrive.  I could not find any markings or ratings on the batteries them selves only what the seller is providing. 

And just a reminder...shameless self promotion....for about $40 you can have you dead/tired DVD battery upgraded to these same kind of specs.   Well I guess you could even have a good one done too if you wanted the higher capacity.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
Yup, looks like the old DVD batteries we all have but with a big-ass capacity.  And a pricetag to match. :)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
I got my main power supply for my 788 from same company...Bix power. It is fantastic! Best battery I've ever owned!  How long will one of the 2300mah DVD batteries power a PSP-3. Those things don't have much pull really.
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »
I wouldn't trust the mah claims on this battery until someone gets one and provides confirmation, especially since they're jacking the price up for that reason.  The manufacturer of this battery has a track record of inflating the capacity rating on the specs of their DVD batteries.  This has been documented by Kirkd and others in this forum and I also owned one for a long time.  It was a good reliable battery, but it's not the capacity they say it is.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:09:27 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
Yup, another DVD battery capacity scam......

Thieves, I tell ya   ::)

$89.95 this time.......at least at eBay, you can complain and get yer $$ back.  Yer fucked with Amazon.

Good luck fellas.......AND if'n yer still feelin' flush and want to throw any more money away, throw it this way, willya.....?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
@ Cap'n et al. I followed the bad eBay battery thread. Pretty sure this one is different, and a different vendor. I don't recall the brand involved being Bixnet. I've seen others (Louis I think for one) buy this brand, not necessarily this model though...

http://www.bixnet.com/bx948.html

It's on it's way, I'll report back.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
Bryonsos...I hope you don't discover what others have about these batteries, but unfortunately I'm just suggesting that based on mine and others experiences with these batteries, you should prepare yourself.

FWIW, Bixnet isn't the brand it's the vendor...the brand is unknown on these and therein lies the problem.  The vendor is a middle man and he wouldn't necessarily know the specs they just pass on the bogus info.  The earlier point wasn't that ebay or amazon are bogus vendors for selling these batteries, it's that amazon won't refund your money when you find out that the specs have been falsified on a product sold on their site.  At least you may have a recourse on ebay to file a claim for a refund based on the bogus info even though the seller may not have known that they were passing on bogus info.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
Bryonsos...I hope you don't discover what others have about these batteries, but unfortunately I'm just suggesting that based on mine and others experiences with these batteries, you should prepare yourself.

FWIW, Bixnet isn't the brand it's the vendor...the brand is unknown on these and therein lies the problem.  The vendor is a middle man and he wouldn't necessarily know the specs they just pass on the bogus info.  The earlier point wasn't that ebay or amazon are bogus vendors for selling these batteries, it's that amazon won't refund your money when you find out that the specs have been falsified on a product sold on their site.  At least you may have a recourse on ebay to file a claim for a refund based on the bogus info even though the seller may not have known that they were passing on bogus info.

true this.

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »
As advertised.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Well, it certainly meets the specs on the page, but it is only 13300 mAh at 3.6V, not 9V.  At 9V, it is 5400 mAh.  Price seems a little high for that capacity.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
Well, it certainly meets the specs on the page, but it is only 13300 mAh at 3.6V, not 9V.  At 9V, it is 5400 mAh.  Price seems a little high for that capacity.

Maybe. These higher capacity ones are like unicorn teeth though, especially from a reliable vendor. For me, now I have a 9V solution to use while Kirk upgrades my 2 2300mAh ones to badassness  ;D
GAKables
Dead Muppets

stevetoney

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
Agree.  At the very minimum it looks like you picked up a good battery that will supplement what you already have.  The only issues I had with mine was the specs...but the battery was always very reliable and I used it for a long time.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
I have one battery that is ready for re-cellin'....I'll see you at Shakori, byronsos!

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

I'm not sure this is exactly right either.  Based on what I know about the 18650 battery cells, which is what these DVD batteries are made from, the highest mAh rating out there is 5000 mAh @ 3.6 volts.   I am not exactly sure where the battery manufacturer is getting their ratings and that is where the confusion comes in.  The DVD battery is 3.6 x 2 = 7.2volts and then they step up the voltage to 9 volts.  When you step up the voltage you "step down" the mAh capacity.  SO,  the highest capacity cells would give you 15,000 mAh rating which would be about right for a 9 volt DVD battery rated at 13,300.  We don't know the exact formula to adjust for the voltage conversion done internally in the battery.  The real kicker is that 48Wh rating does not match anything.   And if that number is correct then the battery really works out to about a 4200mAh battery.   Which is on the low side of DVD batteries.  OR depending on how they arrived at that number it works out to about 10,000 mAh @ 9 volts.  Most that we use are 5400 and 6000 mAh rated.  Those batteries use the 2000 and 2400 mAh cells. This is just more confusion since there is no "standard" way to list battery capacities so a manufacturer can work the gray area's to make a battery look like it is bigger than it's real world application reveals.  The only way to be sure would be to see if the batteries in the that new DVD battery actually had a rating one them.  BUT even IF you open it there is no guarantee that the battery will have it printed on it.   

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
The only way to be sure would be to see if the batteries in the that new DVD battery actually had a rating one them.  BUT even IF you open it there is no guarantee that the battery will have it printed on it.

Bryonsos you could cycle your new battery a couple of times (you aren't supposed to need to do this with Li-ions, but I still do) and then using a recorder or something that you know the current load of see how long it takes to drain the battery and then do some math.  Should get you a reasonable estimate of the actual battery capacity. 

If you don't know the current draw from anything, you could 'calibrate' the current draw of one of your 9V devices by checking run times off a fresh set of batteries.  The specs of commercial batteries are published on the web.  Course, that would only work if your device was capable of also being powered external from the DVD battery and you have a cable for that.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »

I'm not sure this is exactly right either.  Based on what I know about the 18650 battery cells, which is what these DVD batteries are made from, the highest mAh rating out there is 5000 mAh @ 3.6 volts.   I am not exactly sure where the battery manufacturer is getting their ratings and that is where the confusion comes in.  The DVD battery is 3.6 x 2 = 7.2volts and then they step up the voltage to 9 volts.  When you step up the voltage you "step down" the mAh capacity.  SO,  the highest capacity cells would give you 15,000 mAh rating which would be about right for a 9 volt DVD battery rated at 13,300.  We don't know the exact formula to adjust for the voltage conversion done internally in the battery.  The real kicker is that 48Wh rating does not match anything.   And if that number is correct then the battery really works out to about a 4200mAh battery.   Which is on the low side of DVD batteries.  OR depending on how they arrived at that number it works out to about 10,000 mAh @ 9 volts.  Most that we use are 5400 and 6000 mAh rated.  Those batteries use the 2000 and 2400 mAh cells. This is just more confusion since there is no "standard" way to list battery capacities so a manufacturer can work the gray area's to make a battery look like it is bigger than it's real world application reveals.  The only way to be sure would be to see if the batteries in the that new DVD battery actually had a rating one them.  BUT even IF you open it there is no guarantee that the battery will have it printed on it.

I think Kirk is on the right trail, though I'm not following everything.

Overall, I'd say the 48Wh is an accurate description, and this is basically the same DVD-type battery in widespread use at ts.com -- namely, 9v and 5400mAh.

48Wh could be a slightly rounded figure, say it is actually 48.4Wh, or 48400mAh:  at 9v, that is a capacity of 48400/9 = 5378mAh, or again rounding, 5400mAh -- same as the typical DVD battery.

As for the 13,300mAh spec'd rating:  48,000mWh/13,300mAh = 3.6V, which is the voltage of a typical, single Li-ion cell.  Pretty sketchy marketing, but the battery probably has 13,300mAh of capacity internally, except that that is at 3.6v, not 9v, and needs to be stepped up.

As Kirk notes, step up the voltage, and you need to step down the mAh capacity at that voltage.  Worse, a DC-DC step up circuit will not be 100% efficient, so if you step a 3.6v battery to 9v, you'd need to multiply the 3.6v mAh capacity by 3.6/9 to get the new 9v mAh capacity, and then multiply that again by say 90% (total ballpark here) to account for the inefficiency of the DC-DC converter.  If there really are 13,300 mAh of 3.6v cells inside, that would be 13,300*3.6/9*0.90 = ~4800mAh, or only about 43Wh total capacity.

Hopefully, they are putting in something like six 3.6 V, 2500mAh capacity Li-ion cells, which would yield 6*2500 = 15000 mAh capacity at 3.6v, or at 9V:  15000*3.6/9*0.90 = 5400 mAh capacity at 9v, or ~48Wh capacity as labeled.

Bottom line, this is most likely just a 9v, 5400mAh very typical DVD battery, with some pretty sketchy marketing.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

kirk97132

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
Todd, I made the mistake of multiply the rating by the voltage not dividing it, which lead me to the conclusion that the Wh rating was wacky.  Nice catch.  So bottom line is we arrive at the same conclusion that is very unlikely these are a 10,000mAh total capacity with a 48Wh rating.   SO far I have opened up four different DVD batteries 3 - 9volt version and 1 - 7.2volt version.  All different manufacturing labels and all have run either 2000 or 2400 mAh 18650 cells in them.  It is a shame that they can con you with shady marketing tricks.  It reminds me of amplifiers that would list their output at something like 200 watts and then in fine print say it was 100 watts per channel.   I have not seen any DVD battery sold that exceeded the 8,000 mAh total capacity.  I've seen other style "laptop" batteries that get up in the 12,000 plus ranges but not the typical "wallyworld" style that is prevalent among us tapers. 

website for Wh to mAh conversion and related battery voltage differences:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.shtml
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:44:30 AM by kirkd »

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
In retrospect, I should've looked more closely at the specs, but it's a good battery so I'm not upset. Like I said, reputable dealer (shadowy advertising maybe) rather than the outright eBay scammers. This is one I found there on a quick search, so the price I paid isn't too far off:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRALAST-UL-DVDL-UNIVERSAL-9V-PORTABLE-DVD-BATTERY-NEW-/360035400988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53d3c83d1c#ht_3049wt_1398

In the course of looking for other DVD batteries to compare, I found this interesting battery. Seems too good to be true. Kirk et al., does their math make sense? For $25, it's probably worth a try, although the mechanical on/off switch could be a problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/dual-outputs-5V-9V-12V-USB-Super-Capacity-Recharge-Li-ion-Battery-/150767785265?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item231a75d531
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:01:10 PM by bryonsos »
GAKables
Dead Muppets

kirk97132

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
I actually have one of those.  My opinion is rather ..eh...on them.  Drawbacks, no meters at all.  Has an on off switch that can easily get turn off, I made a guard for mine.  Takes a long time to charge.  And there has been discussion about the battery causing noise, it is very low and down in the mic self noise range but it is there.  I got it for the USB output and at 5V it's ok, I found it has a hard time supplying my USBPre 2 with enough current for my mics that draw 10mA.  Granted they are very high draw mics.  I can't say I'd give it a great endorsement.  The lack of a meter is a huge downside. 

The other problem you will have in determining the total capacity is you don't know how the batteries are connected.  IE: how many are parallel and how many are in series.  Then the rating does not tell you at what voltage it will supply 500mA.  I could find any specs or websites for the cells they listed as being used.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
I actually have one of those.  My opinion is rather ..eh...on them.  Drawbacks, no meters at all.  Has an on off switch that can easily get turn off, I made a guard for mine.  Takes a long time to charge.  And there has been discussion about the battery causing noise, it is very low and down in the mic self noise range but it is there.  I got it for the USB output and at 5V it's ok, I found it has a hard time supplying my USBPre 2 with enough current for my mics that draw 10mA.  Granted they are very high draw mics.  I can't say I'd give it a great endorsement.  The lack of a meter is a huge downside. 

The other problem you will have in determining the total capacity is you don't know how the batteries are connected.  IE: how many are parallel and how many are in series.  Then the rating does not tell you at what voltage it will supply 500mA.  I could find any specs or websites for the cells they listed as being used.

Thanks! Glad I waited to hear responses. The lack of a meter is a deal breaker for me, when I get a few  :suds: in me, I need things to be as idiot proof as possible.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com