Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low cost external A/D converter for JB3  (Read 3194 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Low cost external A/D converter for JB3
« on: March 14, 2004, 01:37:12 PM »
Hey, I'm looking into moving into using the digital in on my JB3, but I don't really want to shell out the 300 bucks for an AD-20. I am currently using SP binaural mics with a battery box, which I sometimes feed into a samsom mixer for soundboard matrix recordings... I want all this to run into an external A/D converter then through optical into my JB3. It doesn't have to have a preamp, since I don't need any of that given I already have the batt box. Are there any cheap effective A/D converters out there that can be had? Thanks.

Jason B

Re:Low cost external A/D converter for JB3
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 02:15:21 PM »
The Midiman "Flying Calf".

It does not have an optical out, but for the money you are looking to spend, I think it is the best bet, and best bang for the buck. Here are a few on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=Flying+Calf&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

There is a model with full level meters and one without.

-JB
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 02:18:02 PM by Jason B »

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 02:59:17 PM »
So if I use this with a hosa odl-312, I can get optical in for my JB3 i'm assuming. Although this would end up being my lineage for some shows... kinda crazy.

[SBD + (SP-BMC-1 > SP-SPSB-2)] > Samson S-Mix > Midiman Flying Calf > Hosa ODL-312 > JB3

That's a lot of shit to carry around. Any ideas on cheap replacements/modifications to my rig in order to get it into a little smaller package?

Jason B

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 10:02:19 PM »
Yes, you can use the Hosa converter in order to go optical into your JB3. As far as modifications to make the rig smaller, I cannot think of any really. The Midiman Flying Calf A/D is very small, and weighs practically nothing. Many poeple carry around the Hosa converter with their rig, and it doesn't seem to cause too much of a problem. If you are looking to stay in a low budget, I think this may be your best bet.

By the way, do not pay more than $125 for one of these. The person that has the one starting at $160 will never sell it at that price. These regularly go used for $100 to $125. It is 9vdc, so you can get a Radio Shack RC car battery to power it.

Good luck, welcome aboard, +T.

-Jason
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 10:04:27 PM by Jason B »

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 03:55:29 PM »
you might consider a used / DIY UA-5 ... if you get it from ebay and Mod it yourself you could get it all set up with batteries and all for under $200 ... then you have a pre, a a>d that will output optical and you can do your matrixes using the rca jacks in the back. It might be larger then you want or more expensive, but they are popular for a reason :)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=ua-5&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 03:59:19 PM by InfiniteOhms »
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 11:06:21 AM »
Not necessarily "smaller", as in less GEAR, but a smaller footprint...

I've got Velcro strips on the bottom of my JB3 (originally to mount on the gas tank/console of my motorcycle).  I just added them to the HOSA, Battery, Top of my V3 - and the whole thing sits as one unit (heh heh heh, did he say UNIT?) in a bag.  Keeps everything from moving around, and puts it all in one place.  I use the levels on the V3 anyway, so once the JB3 is started, and the buttons locked, I never need to look at it anyway.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:03:20 PM »
I don't know if I have the skills to mod a UA-5 myself, and I wouldn't want to fuck it up. Unless it's REALLY easy... I have very limited soldering ability, but I could probably find somebody to do it for me for free. That might be a good option. I didn't realize the UA-5 had multiple channels so I could run matrixes with it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com