Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What is your favorite sounding hypercardioid capsule?

Schoeps mk41
22 (21.8%)
Schoeps mk41V
8 (7.9%)
AKG ck63
24 (23.8%)
Gefell m21
20 (19.8%)
Neumann ak50
9 (8.9%)
beyerdynamic ck950
2 (2%)
MBHO ka500
3 (3%)
Milab vm-44 (super)
3 (3%)
I prefer shotguns (or something else not listed here) you insensitive clod!
10 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Favorite Hypercardioid condenser *capsule* (and why)?  (Read 27976 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Favorite Hypercardioid condenser *capsule* (and why)?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »
Schoeps are topshelf, but so are some others here. This is like Blantons vs Noah's Mill or Bookers. They are all top shelf bourbons, some are favored more than others, but it's different for each person (I prefer Noah's Mill, my better half; Blantons or Bookers).

I think that analogy holds true. The Gefells and Schoeps and a couple others are top shelf, but they should different based on what you value. Some people have a darker playback, some like more bass or that schoeps coloration. Others don't. I posted this poll after realizing that I was lagging behind on my poll quota and hadn't started a good circular debate here in a while.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
Rather than just being petulant about the "Schoeps are always best" comment, I'll weigh in. I'll second the ADK A51-TLs, they never disappoint. For SD hypers, I sold my 460s and caps because I've been so happy with my 3 Zigma Chi mics. I've run the hypers a few times, and I've been very happy with them. The low end is fatter and richer than most hypers, and the mild 10k bump makes them lively without hype. I will always prefer cards though, I only pull the hypers out for difficult narrow rooms where I'm worried about reflections and echoes.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »
I know this isn't a scientific study or anything, but I'm observing that almost all of the answers are based on what you currently own or what series you currently own.  I suppose that's logical...why would you own something else if you didn't think what you had sounded good/best?  On the other hand, 'favorite' is usually significantly biased by the homer factor so it most definitely can't be translated to an objective statement of which is the best sounding hyper capsule.  I know nobody has really said that, but thought I'd throw it out there.

True - but "best sounding" does always come down yo what *you* want for the particular project you are working on at the time.

"Best sounding" for a different project may be totally different.

Which is why a pro will have many mics from several different manufacturers in the kit.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »
I know this isn't a scientific study or anything, but I'm observing that almost all of the answers are based on what you currently own or what series you currently own.  I suppose that's logical...why would you own something else if you didn't think what you had sounded good/best?  On the other hand, 'favorite' is usually significantly biased by the homer factor so it most definitely can't be translated to an objective statement of which is the best sounding hyper capsule.  I know nobody has really said that, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Good point. There is a homer factor in almost every post like this.

I can at least say I've owned/own or have good familiarity with most of the list other than ck63s.  My 41s are better than my KA500s from what I've heard so far.  Of the others, if I liked 'em, I'd own them/still own them.  I have not owned the AT4053s, but I think they are really nice.  Despite not having a fancy German name on them, they are outstanding mics and punch far above their weight in terms of their cost.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »
AT U853 hypers didn't make the list?  :P
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:56 AM »

They are on my mental list of small, low-voltage-powered hypers to consider for use as a rear facing surround pair.  I've never used them or any of the 853 caps. Time to do some archive listening I guess.  What other small, low-voltage-powered hypers should I consider? I obviously don't expect them to perform as well as the better and more costly hypers discussed here so far, but that isn't as necessary for this application.  Maybe I should start a different thread for this, although it is an extension of the what is your 'favorite hypercardioid' question, just exploring the small 'optimal bang for the buck' category.  Needs to be small but doesn't have to be low-voltage actually, anything Niant PFA powerable might work.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
And as someone who ran mbho hypers for 4 years, I must say, there are many pairs of schoeps at some shows for a reason, it's because the simply sound the best. You def get what you pay for!!!

Disagree.

x2

x3  but we all know Bean is a big Schoeps cheerleader waving his pom poms, so you take it for what it's worth.  :P  ;)  :-*  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

They are on my mental list of small, low-voltage-powered hypers to consider for use as a rear facing surround pair.  I've never used them or any of the 853 caps. Time to do some archive listening I guess.  What other small, low-voltage-powered hypers should I consider? I obviously don't expect them to perform as well as the better and more costly hypers discussed here so far, but that isn't as necessary for this application.  Maybe I should start a different thread for this, although it is an extension of the what is your 'favorite hypercardioid' question, just exploring the small 'optimal bang for the buck' category.  Needs to be small but doesn't have to be low-voltage actually, anything Niant PFA powerable might work.

I had AT U853 hyper caps, and recently sold them. These days if I'm not in a spot where cards will suffice, then I don't want to be taping at all. At their price point though, I don't think there is anything better. They do lack low end, but I had a few good pulls with them.

To answer your question, you could probably also consider the Audix Micro-D series hypers. You don't see them discussed here all that often, but personally I don't think that means anything.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »

Good point. There is a homer factor in almost every post like this.

I can at least say I've owned/own or have good familiarity with most of the list other than ck63s.  My 41s are better than my KA500s from what I've heard so far.  Of the others, if I liked 'em, I'd own them/still own them.  I have not owned the AT4053s, but I think they are really nice.  Despite not having a fancy German name on them, they are outstanding mics and punch far above their weight in terms of their cost.

I've wondered about the AT4053's many times, but haven't really heard them.  I owned and liked the AT4041 cards.  They sounded great, particularly for their cost, and are a step down from the AT4051 and AT4053.

And I still have no idea what the homer factor refers to.  ???
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
What other small, low-voltage-powered hypers should I consider? I obviously don't expect them to perform as well as the better and more costly hypers discussed here so far, but that isn't as necessary for this application.  Maybe I should start a different thread for this, although it is an extension of the what is your 'favorite hypercardioid' question, just exploring the small 'optimal bang for the buck' category.  Needs to be small but doesn't have to be low-voltage actually, anything Niant PFA powerable might work.

Really a hybrid, but I'd guess the Audix cpc-micro hypercard capsules (capsules for the m1290, m1280, m1255 series) attached to a Church active cable (made for his CA11 mics) would sound quite nice.  I use the hyper caps on the m1290 mics a lot, and think it is a very nice hyper capsule.  I have those Church active cables, but haven't used them much.  Chuck though has run the Audix omni caps on the Church cable a number of times, and he seems quite impressed with the performance of that combo.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

stevetoney

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

Todd...certainly there are plenty of people on TS.com (you said earlier that you're one of them) that have tried and/or sampled a ton of gear and have come to objective conclusions about what they like the best.  As I said in my earlier comment, it's only logical that someone would own what they've determined to be their favorite after they've sampled far and wide.  In your case, you've objectively evaluated and come to the conclusion about your favorite...and that's what you've owned.

That said, I also think there's a percentage of people that respond based mostly on the bias they have for whatever they happen own at that moment...without really giving objective consideration to whatever else is out there.  I've called that bias the homer factor.  I'm not sure if it's caused by placebo effect, self-fulfilling prophesy, or what. 

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:09:40 PM by tonedeaf »

cashandkerouac

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »
And as someone who ran mbho hypers for 4 years, I must say, there are many pairs of schoeps at some shows for a reason, it's because the simply sound the best. You def get what you pay for!!!

Disagree.

x2

x3 (with no disrespect to Bean or anyone who loves their Schoeps more than the others)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:20:20 PM by bass_ur_face »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
The arrival of my hyper caps is supposedly imminent . . . I think those will win the price/performance ratio.  Well at least they will win price :D  Specs are pretty similar to Audix.

Interested.

As an aside, far-field bass response is always going to be limited as you move towards bidirectional; that's the nature of the beast:  pressure-gradient means that same pressure on both sides = no signal.  Which I think is the point of using a hyper in concert recording; where there is off-axis stuff you don't want there is probably bass you don't want too.

Yes, probably most of the time for most users.  Not really in my case since I'd actually prefer a fully extened bass response for better surround envelopment, which is one reason I've used omnis for this in the past. But that's considerably less important to me at this point than good rejection of sound arriving from the front, so as long as they have decent, non-offensive sound in general, I'm not too worried about limited far-field bass response.  That was more of a concern until I tried some cardioids with relatively weak bass response back there which worked fine. The directionality turned out to be more important than an extended low frequency response, as long as the spaced Left/Right omnis were there providing good low frequency response and envelopment.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »
Thanks Todd & Sunday Driver for your suggestions.  I'll look into those too.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »

Todd...certainly there are plenty of people on TS.com (you said earlier that you're one of them) that have tried and/or sampled a ton of gear and have come to objective conclusions about what they like the best.  As I said in my earlier comment, it's only logical that someone would own what they've determined to be their favorite after they've sampled far and wide.  In your case, you've objectively evaluated and come to the conclusion about your favorite...and that's what you've owned.

That said, I also think there's a percentage of people that respond based mostly on the bias they have for whatever they happen own at that moment...without really giving objective consideration to whatever else is out there.  I've called that bias the homer factor.  I'm not sure if it's caused by placebo effect, self-fulfilling prophesy, or what.

Not arguing the potential for bias about one's gear isn't creeping in here, I just haven't heard the reference before. Or it doesn't resonate with me or something. Are we talking about the author of the Iliad, or the husband of Marge Simpson, or some other homer?    ;)  :facepalm:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com