Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed for fixing input on CA 9200 preamp  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Help needed for fixing input on CA 9200 preamp
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:46:48 AM »
Seems like some small part inside the input jack on my Chris Church 9200 preamp has broken. Probably because I stuffed in a jack that had a slightly to big 'knob', so it got stuck next to the preamp knobs.

I looked at the input through a microscope and it looks like one side is missing a tiny 'metal' part. When I shake the unit I hear something.

Now, I want to see if I can replace that input jack, or let some handyman do it. But, I already have problems getting the unit open. Two screws on one end, but the other end looks like it has glue or so. I send Chris a message, but in any way I guess it will be too expensive to have it repaired in US for me. So, anyone ever taken this unit apart?

any tips will do. thanks.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help needed for fixing input on CA 9200 preamp
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
I have one that's need repair also .

9200 need repair, Chris said not accepting repairs , we who should start a broken 9200 chris church thread.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
I own Church gear and now consider it disposable given his lack of support and his lack of commitment to his customers that built his business. I guess the Church Audio motto has gone from "Great gear at a great price" to "Better have backup gear".
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline scrtaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
any standard stereo input jack should work, the 9200 comes apart I believe, I have the ugly box 2 and had to cut the damn black goo off to fix mine......... permatex the right stuff is far better then using silicone when you need to re house the ugly box
Gafell M94w PM750 cards> Rode M5 > Nak CP-1,CP-2,CP-4 >Superlux S502
Ugly Box 2
Sound Devices Mix Pre 6ii>Tascam DR60D MKII > R-09

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
Took off the case.  A lot of glue (SCRtaper mentioned silicone, probably right). Really no way to fix this. It is all covered in silicone.

The small iron/metal thing came out and it confirmed me I screwed up the input.

Well, as for the construction. If it works, it works. With normal use it should do it's job. I can only blame myself for being a bit to harsh with a plug that just did not fit. So, be aware.

Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline PaulCayard

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
I have one that's need repair also .
Same here...  :bawling:

Really no way to fix this. It is all covered in silicone.
Well, as for the construction. If it works, it works.
I've opened my one me too. I agree with you...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:17:10 PM by PaulCayard »
Mics: Nakamichi CM-300 JB mod (CP-1, CP-3), AT853 4.7k mod (SC/C/H), AT U853 4.7k mod (C/H), CA-14 (C)
Pre-amp/Power: CA-9200, CA-9100, CA-UBB, SP-SPSB-10
Recorder: Roland R-07, Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d (x2), Roland R-05

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
mine is with scrtaper, he is gonna try if he can take off the silicone... see what is under  ;D

Offline scrtaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
that thing is a nightmare, idk what he packs the stuff in but short of an exacto knife im not really sure how to get in and repair it still trying things
Ugly Box 2

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »
that thing is a nightmare, idk what he packs the stuff in but short of an exacto knife im not really sure how to get in and repair it still trying things

What does the gain selection knob look like? Is that accessible? Mine has problems with that knob .It will turn all the way with no start and stop positions and sometimes won't turn at all.
Let me know if you think you can fix mine.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »
I had a 9200 that was accidentally built with L/R reversed, and from my communication with Chris on fixing it, I seem to remember him saying that the old one would be trashed and new one would be built.  So it's possible these are not designed to be repairable, hence the epoxy or whatever it is.

I own Church gear and now consider it disposable given his lack of support and his lack of commitment to his customers that built his business. I guess the Church Audio motto has gone from "Great gear at a great price" to "Better have backup gear".

This.  To the OP, whatever you do, DO NOT send the unit back to Chris.  You may never see it again, and will only receive aggravation.  Your best bet at this point is to cut your losses and buy something else to get the job done.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline scrtaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:29:49 PM »
im not claiming to be an expert, i have fixed  enough irrepairable tube guitar amps to say hold off on trashing anything lol, if it hasnt been run over it may be repairable
Ugly Box 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com