Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158753 times)

Offline beenjammin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
The stock 4060s come with microdot connectors, I think that to power them with the MixPre3 you will need a pair of phantom-to-microdot converters (DAP DAD6001), each of these is about 3" long and weighs about 1.2 oz, this will add to the size of the rig.  On the other hand, the MixPre3 will give you more gain (the d:vice MMA-A is limited to 30 dB, which is fine for the quietest acoustic music but I'm not sure how quiet your nature sounds are).

Thanks so much! I had anticipated the p48 to microdot converters, which do protrude. The soundscapes that I record are quiet, for sure, but I never try to boost gain so much that things sound unnatural, as it were. If the space is quiet, I'm happy to have the recording reflect this.

Aside from gain, can you you think of any other sonic sonic advantages? If you were going to record acoustic music and had access to either device, which would you go for in terms of pure sonic quality?

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
I have not used the MixPre3, but I have used both the SD722 and SD633.  I think the MMA-A is equal to or better than these in my experience, but the MixPre3 is a newer machine with upgraded sound.  One big advantage of the d:vice for me is the set-it-and-forget-it reliability.  I have made over 100 recordings with it over the past year, never a fail so far, some of these ran over 6 hours.  It would be harder, though, to do lots of level adjustments with it on the fly, at least with the Rode software I use (for 24/96 resolution).  But I haven't tried to do this.

Offline beenjammin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
I have not used the MixPre3, but I have used both the SD722 and SD633.  I think the MMA-A is equal to or better than these in my experience, but the MixPre3 is a newer machine with upgraded sound.  One big advantage of the d:vice for me is the set-it-and-forget-it reliability.  I have made over 100 recordings with it over the past year, never a fail so far, some of these ran over 6 hours.  It would be harder, though, to do lots of level adjustments with it on the fly, at least with the Rode software I use (for 24/96 resolution).  But I haven't tried to do this.

Wow, that's very promising, given how nice the 7xx series performs.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2018, 01:47:27 AM »
success!

small club and i was about 5-7 feet from the PA

i set d:vice levels to zero and voice recorder pro levels to -10 (both as low as they would go) and the 4061s were still pretty hot, peaking at up to -3.5 dbfs

is this unusual or am i missing some gain setting somewhere?

i mean it was loud but didnt seem 140 dB loud

im assuming the best setting for voice recorder pro to be "transparent" would be zero dB in that app

sorry to ask so many stupid questions i can solve myself (when i get home), im just on the road flying blind right now and have one more show i want to tape on weds
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
second run at bowery i was farther back so i set voice recorder pro levels to 0.0 dB and d:vice app to +4.0 dB gain

streamable soundcloud links

velvet underground in toronto 5 feet from the PA

tinyurl.com/aurora-vu-sc-full

bowery ballroom in nyc from the balcony

tinyurl.com/aurora-nyc-sc-full
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
started this thread from the beginning to make sure i didnt miss anything

ok, I ran the Motiv app capturing at 24/48 yesterday, and now have several 2GB files on my phone.  "Save to Camera Roll" converts the files to lossy format, which I definitely don't want to do.

Save to Dropbox takes awhile... is there a way to transfer the WAV files from my iPhone 6+ to my Windows 10 PC, preferably using the lightning cable?

heres 2 apps that can grab unadulterated files from apps without using itunes (both free)
https://www.copytrans.net/
http://www.i-funbox.com/

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
^^ I would try to trade them for a pair with microdots in the Yardsale.  Seems like there is always someone looking to go the other way.  Or even sell them and buy another pair with the 'dots.  I am sure you can get a cable made, but, personally, I would want to get rid of the 1/8" connection and have only the locking connectors.

Sending them to DPA is also a good idea, but I doubt it will be cheap...

'bout $50 each to reterminate any mics with new microdots
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:09:49 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2018, 09:56:41 PM »
I used these the other night and really liked them. Mics are very secure, and well positioned by the clips.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/holder-for-dscreet-omnidirectional-microphones

i like these already just looking at them

in my last endeavor i had the regular 4-way clips and was trying to be not fidgeting with the rig too much, i unclipped the mics from my hat at setbreak to hang the mics with clips over my shoulders under my shirt to be cool... they dont really clip to the cables super securely, and I picked up loose $20 clips off the floor at least three times over the course over the night

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »
I was recording a classical guitar duo today, my main rig was a pair of Schoeps MK4 caps (CMC6xt) ORTF into an F8, very nice though the MK4s sounded a bit harsh (I normally would run MK22s).  My backup was a pair of DPA 4015s (also ORTF, though they are wide cardioids like the MK22s) > DPA MMP-GR cable > DPA d:vice MMA-A > iPhone 6S + (Rode recorder app).  I could not monitor the iPhone rig, set the DPA app gain at +26 dB (should have maxed it out at +30 dB, a very quiet group).  To match the Schoeps recording (at +42 dB on the Zoom F8 and then increased in post by 4 dB) I had to add 11 dB to the d:vice recording.

My ears, my headphones, but I went with the DPA recording for my finished product.

Gotta love the d:vice!

Jeff

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
That's high praise!
I really hope they continue to develop the d:vice

I was recording a classical guitar duo today, my main rig was a pair of Schoeps MK4 caps (CMC6xt) ORTF into an F8, very nice though the MK4s sounded a bit harsh (I normally would run MK22s).  My backup was a pair of DPA 4015s (also ORTF, though they are wide cardioids like the MK22s) > DPA MMP-GR cable > DPA d:vice MMA-A > iPhone 6S + (Rode recorder app).  I could not monitor the iPhone rig, set the DPA app gain at +26 dB (should have maxed it out at +30 dB, a very quiet group).  To match the Schoeps recording (at +42 dB on the Zoom F8 and then increased in post by 4 dB) I had to add 11 dB to the d:vice recording.

My ears, my headphones, but I went with the DPA recording for my finished product.

Gotta love the d:vice!

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »
That's high praise!

it is.. but in context its studio closemic'ing where omnis have a distinct advantage and shouldn't necessarily be translated to field recording apps

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »
That's high praise!

it is.. but in context its studio closemic'ing where omnis have a distinct advantage and shouldn't necessarily be translated to field recording apps

I agree that a comp using MK22s would be a better one.  And one using DPA 4015s into both recording setups even better.  But I did not expect the d:vice recording (especially with the need for added gain) to be my final pick.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
listening to D&C mixlr stream right now and thinking how great the d:vice would be for streaming since the iphone treats it as a native audio device

prob pushing the limits but i wonder if it can be recorded in an app as well as streamed concurrently without buffer underruns in recording

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2018, 04:41:41 PM »
just got a new iphone with 11.2.2

is updating to 11.4 a bad idea?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
just got a new iphone with 11.2.2

is updating to 11.4 a bad idea?
I put 11.4 on an iPad and have not heard any complaints from the child who uses it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think it's got some good security upgrades over previous OS, especially if you are paranoid.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com