Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET  (Read 36429 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 02:10:08 AM »
Finally got a chance to try these things at a couple of real shows. Setting audio levels

I ran Ambeo Headset > iPod Touch 32GB > Apogee Metarecorder.

EDIT: Had a hard time getting the files transferred. I had to use iTunes, which I had thought was discontinued.

SAMPLES:

I should be noted that I did not put much effort into this recording. Mics where basically clipped to my shirt, but they were in a nice spot in the venue and had a direct "line of sight" to the PA. Basically directly behind/slightly above the SBD.

Band is Sleater-Kinney. I thought it sounded OK. Venue (Ogden in Denver) is capable of sounding amazing. Probably not the best band to test mics with. They are pretty noisey. Not a lot of dynamic range with these guys.

Original file (converted from 24/48 > 16/44.1 only):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/daerd7nf6dqiowq/Ambeo%20Test%20-%20Original.wav?dl=0

EQ'd file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fch9tw2zncs7uwa/Ambeo%20Test%20-%20EQ.wav?dl=0

Overall, I'm not impressed. Hopefully it was more of mic placement (too low) with a sub-par sounding show.

Trying again this week for a quieter band in a better sounding venue. Will report back with that when ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:49:07 AM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 04:17:38 AM »
Finally got a chance to try these things at a couple of real shows. Setting audio levels

EDIT: Had a hard time getting the files transferred. I had to use iTunes, which I had thought was discontinued.

CopyTrans suite can copy files for free (copy trans Apps module)
also sandisk flash usb drives can copy them directly from iphone

like most omnis, they sound better when baffled by your head or some distance (or binaural like these are meant to be used)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »

I should be noted that I did not put much effort into this recording. Mics where basically clipped to my shirt, but they were in a nice spot in the venue and had a direct "line of sight" to the PA. Basically directly behind/slightly above the SBD.

Band is Sleater-Kinney. I thought it sounded OK. Venue (Ogden in Denver) is capable of sounding amazing. Probably not the best band to test mics with. They are pretty noisey. Not a lot of dynamic range with these guys.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Hopefully it was more of mic placement (too low) with a sub-par sounding show.

Trying again this week for a quieter band in a better sounding venue. Will report back with that when ASAP.

Sounds like it can't handle the SPL's of that kind of show.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
Badly clipped.These microphones need to be hacked for 3 wire operation.Then they would sound "OK".
After that, capsules should be replaced with MKE2 or similar quality.
Could still be useful in office/ work/ home environments.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 06:43:25 PM »

SAMPLES:

Original file (converted from 24/48 > 16/44.1 only):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/daerd7nf6dqiowq/Ambeo%20Test%20-%20Original.wav?dl=0

EQ'd file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fch9tw2zncs7uwa/Ambeo%20Test%20-%20EQ.wav?dl=0

Did you have the smart headset setting for the LOW concert setting?

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 07:36:58 PM »
^ Yes. I think at least. I had something set to something like Less Sensitive in the Sennheiser AMBEO SmartHeadset app.

Recording was done in the Apogee Metarecorder app (which didn't seem to have a way to control levels).

Levels seemed to be good, but the sound could be better.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
^ Yes. I think at least. I had something set to something like Less Sensitive in the Sennheiser AMBEO SmartHeadset app.

Recording was done in the Apogee Metarecorder app (which didn't seem to have a way to control levels).

its dependent on the device used. metarecorder with d:vice has levels for both channels independent or ganged
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 01:04:59 AM »
OK! I tried this time. Was in the sweet spot. Wore the mics in my ears. Other than the crowd being fairly rowdy for being pretty old...the recording turned out decent.

I wouldn't be satisfied if all of my recordings were of this quality but for shows that I'd like a copy without having to jump through too many hoops for a stealth job they are pretty good.

Here's a sample. I have applied a bit of EQ (the master is pretty boomy), and a tad bit of compression.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/bob-dylan-simple-twist-of-fate-live

EDIT:
Full show audio here. I did add a bit more EQ and Compression to this version (feel free to let me know which one you like more):
https://youtu.be/X3sHVgTBhOQ
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 03:34:16 AM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 04:04:31 AM »
If budget isnt a huge issue 4061s in croakies crush them every time and is actually more low pro.
OK! I tried this time. Was in the sweet spot. Wore the mics in my ears. Other than the crowd being fairly rowdy for being pretty old...the recording turned out decent.

I wouldn't be satisfied if all of my recordings were of this quality but for shows that I'd like a copy without having to jump through too many hoops for a stealth job they are pretty good.

Here's a sample. I have applied a bit of EQ (the master is pretty boomy), and a tad bit of compression.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/bob-dylan-simple-twist-of-fate-live

EDIT:
Full show audio here. I did add a bit more EQ and Compression to this version (feel free to let me know which one you like more):
https://youtu.be/X3sHVgTBhOQ

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
Here's another recoding from these mics. They still do a good job (IMO) for $99.

This was a louder show and I was worried about the levels going over / distortion and I don't hear anything.

Unfortunately I learned (the hard way) that MetaRecorder doesn't start a new file after 2GB (or if it does, I have some setting wrong). I started the recording about 40 minutes before the band went on and never looked at the app after that. Next time I will wait until the band starts. :D ...I made it almost to the encore. Wish I had at least checked during the encore break if it was still rolling.

Band is Pigface (offshoot from Ministry).

https://youtu.be/PwwyUtHx1zc

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »
Unfortunately I learned (the hard way) that MetaRecorder doesn't start a new file after 2GB (or if it does, I have some setting wrong).

set it to write to .CAF instead of .WAV and it will roll all night

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »
Unfortunately I learned (the hard way) that MetaRecorder doesn't start a new file after 2GB (or if it does, I have some setting wrong).

set it to write to .CAF instead of .WAV and it will roll all night

Sweet. You've answered quite a few of my questions lately. Thanks.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2021, 08:53:25 AM »
I just bought this headset online for $139 Australian dollars - from a reputable dealer - another reputable dealer lists them for $439.  I get the impression that they never sold well and they have been on clearance for a while in various places.  Someone on YouTube said they'd paid 30 UK pounds.  I don't particularly need them but... I just can't resist a bargain. 

It will be interesting to compare them with the Roland in ear mics, the DJI Pocket 2 camera surround mics (which I think are basically two MS mics back-to-back) and the Zoom H2N in surround mode.  More for ambiences than music.  Some of the YouTube demos I have seen give the best binaural imaging I've come across - I often don't perceive sounds as coming from behind me, but with these, there's no doubt. 

But stereo and binaural imaging is a very subjective thing.  I used to work with a classical music CD producer who couldn't tell the difference between mono and stereo.  But he sure had a good ear for a bum note.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 01:24:12 AM »
I bought two of these (on clearance), thinking they would be great, without the ADC.
After taking them apart, I saw they are regular 5mm (?) electret capsules, not the lauded KE4 capsule in MKE2 and other classic mics.
Still would be great for old iPhones.  Provide record and playback in a nice "sporty" package.  Certainly an improvement on standard Apple earbubs with the inline microphone.
Have fun!

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 05:06:24 AM »
E
DIT: Had a hard time getting the files transferred. I had to use iTunes, which I had thought was discontinued.

You will find the MetaRecorder wav's in Filer.app and On my iPhone and there in a folder named MetaRecorder.
You can then transfer the recordings using pretty much every Share or Open In option.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com