Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-10M  (Read 21391 times)

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
Sound Devices MixPre-10M
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m/feature-comparison

The MixPre-10M musician's feature set includes:

Overdubbing – including Punch In/Out
    Track Laying – up to 12 tracks
    Bouncing - to allow for more tracks
    Premium Quality Effects – Vintage Reverbs & Vocal Air
    Metronome
    Render (Export) – for sharing files

For existing MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T users: Sound Devices will soon be releasing a studio-grade Musician Plugin adding a new dimension of recording capabilities to the already versatile devices. For $99, the Musician Plugin will feature all the musician-inspired features, including overdub, track laying, reverb, metronome and more.

“Sound Devices has a rich heritage of employees who are also musicians – so the MixPre-10M is truly a product designed by musicians for musicians,” says Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices, LLC. “It’s an incredible device that simplifies songwriting and production to allow musicians to focus solely on creating and recording music the way it was before computers took over. With built-in overdub, metronome, and effects like premium-quality reverb and vocal air, the travel-size MixPre-10M gives musicians the ability to record 12 tracks anywhere inspiration hits – from a tour bus, backstage, to a hotel room or live performance.”

The MixPre-10M retails for $1499 and will be available in late March...

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:41:08 AM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-10M
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »
I guess I don't get it.  Is this basically the 10T with the timecode stripped out and some mixing features added back for a price that is cheaper than the 10T?  What does "audio projects only" mean?  There is no user guide posted yet.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
https://www.gothamsound.com/product/mixpre-10m-recorder?utm_source=Gotham+Gazette&utm_campaign=25c56db96a-WaveTower+MixPre-10M&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cbb4c598a-25c56db96a-204845090

The Sound Device MixPre-10M is a ten-input/twelve track recorder with excellent Kashmir preamps specially designed for musicians.

In addition to most of the same great features as the rest of the MixPre recorder line (excluding time code), it features the ability to simultaneously record, playback, mix, monitor, layer, and overdub up to 12 tracks with a bounce feature to free up additional tracks. Other features include vintage reverb and vocal air effects, metronome, punch in and out, and the ability to insert and locate to cue points.

The MixPre-10M retails for $1499 and will be available in late March.

A separately sold plug-in will be available in April to add the additional features to a MixPre-6 or 10T.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »
The 10T has time code which I do not necessarily need and costs $1,800.

The 10M has mix, monitor, layer, and overdub up to 12 tracks, which I do not necessarily need and costs $1,400.

Why wouldn't I just sell my Mixpre-6 and get a 10M so I have 8 XLR/TRS inputs instead of 4?  It is only a $400 delta.

I have to see what they mean by "Audi Projects Only".
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
I have to see what they mean by "Audi Projects Only".
My guess is that this is referring to the lack of timecode on the 10M.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »
I just posted all of this in the 10T thread before noticing this had its own thread here.  (I posted it there because the M and T are almost the same exact thing.  The removal of TC is the only hardware difference from what I can see; the big differences are different firmware.)

Here's an info page from TAI:
myemail.constantcontact.com/Introducing-the-MixPre-10M-from-Sound-Devices.html

The main differences are added overdubbing and effects onboard, and the deletion of TC capability and HDMI triggering.

Price will be $1499, so $300 less than the 10T.  They will sell the software as a plugin for the MixPre-6 and -10T units for $99.

Here's a video overview with Paul Isaacs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvI5Xz0gJE

Gearslutz discussion thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/1205471-sound-devices-announces-mixpre-10m-quot-musicians-quot.html

I asked them on Twitter about what hardware differences exists between the 10T and 10M other than the removal of TC, and they just told me to compare the specs.  Obviously I had done that already.  Perhaps they would have been a bit more forthcoming via email.
https://twitter.com/sounddevices/status/971420075470225409

The feature comparison page for the MixPre series shows that the 10M has more options for channel linking than the 10T. 
Comparing the specs pages also shows that the 10M will not record at the 47.952 kHz or 48.048 kHz sample rates the 10T is capable of.
The 10M writes Poly WAV, Mono WAV, or AAC depending on the project type, whereas 10T writes Poly BWAV only.
I don't see any other differences other than the aforementioned removal of TC and HDMI, and of course the different firmware.

My takeaway: If you don't need TC, now you can get what is otherwise the same unit as the 10T for $300 less, and that's the most attractive thing for us here.  I think the overdubbing is a nice addition for mobile multitracking, but I am always against "baking in" effects on a recording in case you change your mind later.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m/feature-comparison

Seems timecode in (no timecode reader whatsoever), metadata editing, Wingman app, and camera return are all a bit crippled in some manner or another in comparison.

Oh well, that 100% killed my interest in the MixPre10M.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:33:12 PM by IronFilm »

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
I’m waiting for a Mix Pre 2. :yack:

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
Written up my thoughts at the end of my new blog post:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound-devices-mixpre10m-announced-a-mixpre10t-without-the-t-for-musicians/

In short, this is not the recorder I'm seeking.

However it is still good news for SD users in general.

MixPre3 too much for you? :-P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:42:52 PM by IronFilm »

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
The 10M is squarely aimed at music production and musicians - building songs using track laying and overdubbing. All the key features of a DAW but without the need for a computer, audio interface, controller etc. Great for capturing and building songs with super high quality just like the way it used to be done but with the advantages of digital, non-destructive tech. There is a mode for field recording too - pretty cool, but this is for musicians, especially those who find the complexities of DAWs being stifling to their creativity.

Paul

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
The 10M is squarely aimed at music production and musicians - building songs using track laying and overdubbing. All the key features of a DAW but without the need for a computer, audio interface, controller etc. Great for capturing and building songs with super high quality just like the way it used to be done but with the advantages of digital, non-destructive tech. There is a mode for field recording too - pretty cool, but this is for musicians, especially those who find the complexities of DAWs being stifling to their creativity.

Paul

this is a nice offering.  $300 cheaper (Live Music tapers don't need TC anyway...)

any hope for a MixPre-10LM (Live Music)?  it would be nice to have a set up tailored to our needs (variable gain structures, hold function, pre-record, stealth/lights out mode, mono tracks, stereo pairs, level metering display zoom, spdif input)
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »

Paul

Hi Paul,

One of the missing features for me in the MixPre series has been the lack of an easy way of scrubbing the recording, or of simply going into fast forward or rewind with any control. Would it be possible to add these buttons to the Wingman app? Otherwise, doing overdubs where you need to quickly review for example a short guitar insert, would be a nightmare on the present clumsy interface of the MixPre. I'd rather work on a DAW.

Thanks,

Phillip
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 08:37:34 AM »
^The larger view offered by a DAW computer screen is essential to replacing short sections of music. 

Why, why, why did SD put Bluetooth control in these units instead of giving us the ability to use ethernet/ external router wifi control that would have allowed control from a greater distance? 

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
Written up my thoughts at the end of my new blog post:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound-devices-mixpre10m-announced-a-mixpre10t-without-the-t-for-musicians/

In short, this is not the recorder I'm seeking.

However it is still good news for SD users in general.

MixPre3 too much for you? :-P

Very few tapers run 3 channels and many will never run 4 or more. So a 2 would be cool.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:43:48 AM by ts »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »
^The larger view offered by a DAW computer screen is essential to replacing short sections of music. 

Many have worked on multi-track tape recorders where the vu meter, the tape counter, and your ears were enough to insert a particular section. But the ability to "rock and roll" the tape quickly back & forth with the FF and RW buttons was truly essential.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »

One of the missing features for me in the MixPre series has been the lack of an easy way of scrubbing the recording, or of simply going into fast forward or rewind with any control. Would it be possible to add these buttons to the Wingman app? Otherwise, doing overdubs where you need to quickly review for example a short guitar insert, would be a nightmare on the present clumsy interface of the MixPre. I'd rather work on a DAW.

Thanks,

Phillip

The 10M has dedicated FFWD and REW keys for easy scrubbing, ffwd, and rew. For the MixPre-6, press the encoder to enter ffwd/rew/scrub mode then turn clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Regarding your request for putting this in Wingman ... noted!

FYI, to make locating and accurate punch in /outs possible, we have included a comprehensive locate point feature set inc cue points, preroll, post roll, punch in, punch out. It's all there. Since I've been playing with this 10M, I've been more prolific with creating music than I've been in years. I won't stop using my DAW for detailed music production, but for capturing my music's essense/feel in multitrack form, the 10M wins hands down. My best track-laying performances typically happen when the idea is fresh. And it sounds so good with those kashmirs! And its so easy to import all 10M tracks into a DAW should I wish to develop further at a later stage. Having said that, a DAW ain't necessary to come out with great sounding tracks. When I'm in front of a DAW, I'm an engineer. When I'm in front of the 10M, I'm a musician.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »

Thanks,

Phillip

The 10M has dedicated FFWD and REW keys for easy scrubbing, ffwd, and rew. For the MixPre-6, press the encoder to enter ffwd/rew/scrub mode then turn clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Regarding your request for putting this in Wingman ... noted!

FYI, to make locating and accurate punch in /outs possible, we have included a comprehensive locate point feature set inc cue points, preroll, post roll, punch in, punch out. It's all there. Since I've been playing with this 10M, I've been more prolific with creating music than I've been in years. I won't stop using my DAW for detailed music production, but for capturing my music's essense/feel in multitrack form, the 10M wins hands down. My best track-laying performances typically happen when the idea is fresh. And it sounds so good with those kashmirs! And its so easy to import all 10M tracks into a DAW should I wish to develop further at a later stage. Having said that, a DAW ain't necessary to come out with great sounding tracks. When I'm in front of a DAW, I'm an engineer. When I'm in front of the 10M, I'm a musician.

Thanks for your reply, Paul.

By "dedicated FFWD and REW keys", do you mean the transport joystick as is found on the 10T?

On the MixPre 6, I find the encoder hard to control for searching in a recording.

The new comprehensive locate point feature set sounds very useful.

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
I'm curious about the statement that the wingman app is somewhat crippled. Does anyone have any specifics?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 10:17:24 AM »
Does the 10M have more less linking features - it specifically doesn't list M/S and Stereo linking.   And no multi-channel linking.

No bluetooth apparently, so no Wingman etc

max sample rate on the 10M is 96khz (as opposed to 192khz on the rest of the mixpre lineup)

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3/feature-comparison
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:22:20 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »
Does the 10M have more less linking features - it specifically doesn't list M/S and Stereo linking.   And no multi-channel linking.

max sample rate on the 10M is 96khz (as opposed to 192khz on the rest of the mixpre lineup)

The mixpre3 only does 96khz tops.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »

The mixpre3 only does 96khz tops.

yes, my mistake
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »

Is that true? 

When the comparison page was first posted, it had an asterisks next to the wingman app, saying something about limited support I thought.  Now it shows nothing in that field.  Is it confirmed that wingman won't work at all on the 10M?  If so, that's a real disappointment.  The idea that the 788 had an app and the 744 didn't always made me jealous.  I can't possible see myself buying a 10M if it has no support for an app when the others in SD's line do.
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
It also list nothing for Operation Modes: Basic, Advanced, Custom so what mode does it operate in? The M has some strange limiatitons

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »
I'm not a taper, but I have been loitering around these forums waiting for this very device to come along. So, as a musician, I'm happy.

I have one now, it turned up today, so I'm happy to try to answer any questions. The last Sound Devices unit I had was the original MixPre, (although I've also had a USBPre) so I'm not really familiar with the 10T or 6xx or 7xx line-up.

The two things I've noticed so far which aren't quite right
1) the reverb only works on projects at 44.1kHz and 48kHz.
2) the 'Main Outs' have the monitor signal routed to them at all times when the transport is in 'Stop'. This results in feedback through the monitors (unless you turn down all the output channels, or un-assign all the inputs, neither of which are feasible). There are lots of routing options for the headphones, and you can choose to send the HP mix to the Main Outs (XLRs and x1/x2 unbalalnced) independently and likewise you can send the Main Mix to the Headphones, so I can't see why it has been configured this way.

Dominic

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
To answer to three of the above posts:

It does stereo linking of inputs. No M/S. No linking beyond two (adjacent) channels.

No, no sign of Bluetooth support or the Wingman app.

There are no 'modes'. I have no idea what Paul is talking about when he mentions a 'Field Recorder' mode. There may be a way of using it like that, but there's no 'mode' to select to do so.

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:45:58 PM by dominicperry »

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
How many tracks can you record simultaneously? The manual is not clear at all. I would like to be able too do 10, 8 xlr and 2 extras on the miniplug input. Is that possible?

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
How many tracks can you record simultaneously? The manual is not clear at all. I would like to be able too do 10, 8 xlr and 2 extras on the miniplug input. Is that possible?

I just tried this - you can only assign 8 inputs. When you get to the 9th, a message comes up and says "Only 8 Live Inputs allowed at once". I get the same at 96kHz and 48kHz, so it's not sample-rate dependent. It makes no difference if they are Mic/Line, Aux (miniplug) or USB. Eight seems to be the max.

Dominic

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
Thank you so much.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
There is no m/s recording option on a recorder designed for musicians???   

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 04:42:58 AM »
There is no m/s recording option on a recorder designed for musicians???

Correct. Just the same as Portastudios and the Zoom Livetrak L12. I can't think of a multi-track which allows overdubbing which has M/S. Which doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea, of course.

While checking to make sure it really wasn't there (rather than just missing from the manual) I discovered another thing which does need improving - when you have two channels linked, selecting the 2nd input of the pair shows some greyed out options on the screen, but doesn't explicitly say "Linked" or similar. So you have to guess/remember why that particular channel isn't behaving the same as the rest.

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:59:08 AM by dominicperry »

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »
A couple of other things, while I'm here (there's no Sound Devices forum anymore, and I'm not signing up to Facebook just to join the Sounds Devices group. What were they thinking ?............. :facepalm: )

No pads. Minimum gain is 6dB. I can see this being a pain with band rehearsals. I could carry some inline pads around. How many? 8?
No Hi-Z / DI setting. I have an Avenson Small DI, but it means an extra cable and device.

So, it's not great making a portable device if you have to carry all the bits which are missing separately. I'm guessing there just wasn't room....

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:45:02 AM by dominicperry »

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 07:58:03 AM »
The lack of pads might not be that bad. A lot of condensers have pads on the mic. Dynamics and ribbons usually don’t need a pad.

I’m more bummed that it is only 8 tracks instead of 10. Can’t  the 10t record 10 tracks at once?

Tha 8 tracks thing is pushing me more toward getting a zoom f8 or livetrak instead.

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »

Crap.  Thanks for the reports!
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
The lack of pads might not be that bad. A lot of condensers have pads on the mic. Dynamics and ribbons usually don’t need a pad.

I’m more bummed that it is only 8 tracks instead of 10. Can’t  the 10t record 10 tracks at once?

Tha 8 tracks thing is pushing me more toward getting a zoom f8 or livetrak instead.

I don't know what the 10T can do. But I don't see the sense in buying a 10M if you don't need overdubbing.

Dominic

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »

Crap.  Thanks for the reports!

It might be that the hardware is there, waiting to be used - how much is a Bluetooth module these days? I would have thought it would cost more to take it off the board than leave it in. But, at the moment, there's no sign of it in the system menu.

This device runs a completely different firmware version to the rest of the MixPre series. I believe the rest are on 1.53. The 10M uses 2.00 (which isn't available for download, for whatever reason).

Dominic

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »

I don't know what the 10T can do. But I don't see the sense in buying a 10M if you don't need overdubbing.

Dominic

I’m looking to record my bands gigs while I play bass. The more tracks the merrier. I don’t need to overdub but would love the SD sound quality. Having the two extra tracks would help justify the extra expense over the F8. Right now the 10m is about twice as much as the f8 fit the same number of tracks.

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »

I’m looking to record my bands gigs while I play bass. The more tracks the merrier. I don’t need to overdub but would love the SD sound quality. Having the two extra tracks would help justify the extra expense over the F8. Right now the 10m is about twice as much as the f8 fit the same number of tracks.

Understood. The 10M just doesn't fit the bill then for you, I'm afraid.
The F8 gets good reviews for sound quality, I'm not sure how much difference the 10M/T would really make in a live scenario. But the only Zoom items I've used are the H4N and H6 and L12, all of which seemed pretty good as long as you fed them a reasonable signal.

Dominic

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
The F8 gets good reviews for sound quality, I'm not sure how much difference the 10M/T would really make in a live scenario. But the only Zoom items I've used are the H4N and H6 and L12, all of which seemed pretty good as long as you fed them a reasonable signal.

Dominic

Yes I was hoping for 2 extra tracks. I get decent results with my Zoom H6 as it is.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
^Bands have other options such as an X32 rack with an expansion card that would record up to 32 channels for less money than the SD.  Or a Soundcraft ui24r if it has enough inputs for your band.

The ability to hit a record button on your audio mixer without having to carry a recorder and extra microphones is pretty handy.  That to me, is better suited to musicians, IMO. 

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »

Dominic

I have 10-t and a 6 and I owned a Zoom F-4 and F-8. The Mixpre's may have better Pre-s (although actual tests would be useful to confirm this) and I am very happy with the mixpre sound wise, the reality is that the Zoom F8 is much more straightforward as a recorder, is less expensive, and has features the mixpre 10 should have, like dual sd card record. Even though I like them, some of the design choices with the mixpre's are quite strange.

I would love to hear actual test of the Zoom versus the Mixpre's however, as I was surprised by the difference between the sononsax and mixpre in Noah's testing...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:08:12 PM by rippleish20 »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2018, 11:11:07 PM »

I would love to hear actual test of the Zoom versus the Mixpre's however, as I was surprised by the difference between the sononsax and mixpre in Noah's testing...

How so?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »

How so?

Sonosax SX-R4 vs Mixpre-6 : I liked the sound of one them much better. A similar test with Zoom F-8 and Mixpre-6 would be interesting.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »

How so?

Sonosax SX-R4 vs Mixpre-6 : I liked the sound of one them much better. A similar test with Zoom F-8 and Mixpre-6 would be interesting.

I’d be happy to participate!!!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 04:30:44 AM »
I have had confirmation from Sound Devices that the reverb function is not available at 96kHz (as observed). This limitation is missing from the manual (ver 2-B).

Dominic

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Firmware v. 2.10 now out...

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

Changes introduced in 2.10 include:

New

Remix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
    Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
    Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
    Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
    Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
    Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
    Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
    Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
    Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
    Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
    10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
    Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
    The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
    Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
    Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
    Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
    Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
    Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
    Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 03:13:21 PM »
Downloaded the file, read the instructions, turned on the MixPre, plugged it into the mains, connected MixPre to the computer, put the MixPre in File Transfer mode, copied the file from the computer, took the MixPre out of File Transfer mode, chose Update Firmware from menu, updated the firmware, auto re-booted.

About 2 minutes. It probably took longer to write the list.

All working fine..

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:31:43 PM by dominicperry »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
Welcome to the site, Dominic! Thanks for sharing your discoveries with us regarding the 10M.

What do you mean by a "reasonable signal" for the Zoom? I had an H2 and had to purchase a pad cable in order to use the line inputs with any kind of "reasonable signal," like the output from a home stereo component CD player! The H2's MAX input level was 0.775 V!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »

Welcome to the site, Dominic! Thanks for sharing your discoveries with us regarding the 10M.

What do you mean by a "reasonable signal" for the Zoom? I had an H2 and had to purchase a pad cable in order to use the line inputs with any kind of "reasonable signal," like the output from a home stereo component CD player! The H2's MAX input level was 0.775 V!

Thanks!

What I meant by 'reasonable signal' was a mic level which was sufficiently strong (in order to avoid hiss from having to crank the pre-amp gain).
But you bring up a very good point and one of my main problems with Tascam and Zoom products, and many others - the inability to cope with a hot line level signal.
My other issue with 'pro-sumer' devices is the poor headphone outputs - simply no good for tracking a guitar amp while listening to click/guide tracks or previously recorded tracks. Perhaps not a problem for tapers (although a good clean headphone output would seem to be an excellent thing at all times to me!).

Dominic

Offline hughesmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »
Does the 10M ship with firmware v2.10?

Also -- is v2.10 for both the 10M and 10T? (Hoping for remix capability on the 10M, but sounds like it may only be for -3, -6 and -10T).

Thanks, y'all

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 04:51:49 AM »
Does the 10M ship with firmware v2.10?

Also -- is v2.10 for both the 10M and 10T? (Hoping for remix capability on the 10M, but sounds like it may only be for -3, -6 and -10T).

Thanks, y'all
My 10M shipped with v2.00 - which isn’t available on the website and seems to be 10M specific. The ‘equivalent’ for the rest of the mixpre series was v1.53.
Now the whole lot (3,6,10T,10M) are up to v2.10.
The additional functions for 3,6 and 10T are as described in the release notes. I don’t believe this constitutes the overdub functionality, which I think you will have to pay for as a separate thing (Musician's Plug-In) which SD haven't released yet.
The 10M behaves quite differently from the 10T at this point.
Can you explain what you think ‘remix’ can do which the 10M can’t do already? 

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:06:02 AM by dominicperry »

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2018, 05:34:47 AM »
New firmware version out for whole MixPre Series - v2.20 - includes fixes for some of the issues with the 10M.

Dominic

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »

i have a mixpre-10m here...

i want to acess advanced mode

but

i can't find the "mode" button under system menu

condusing

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »

but

condusing

The M version firmware does not support modes
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:26:54 AM by rippleish20 »

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »

but

condusing

The M version firmware does not support modes

thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 81 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com