Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor screens for Schoeps vertical caps?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Outdoor screens for Schoeps vertical caps?
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
I have my old DPA screens and some cheap furs, but it occurred to me that the space between capsule and screen is nonexistent when running vertical caps. I hardly ever tape outdoors mostly curious. Thanks,
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Outdoor screens for Schoeps vertical caps?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 03:17:52 AM »
Big Ass Shures have never let me down...

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
I use these under high wind

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1528221978&sr=1-6&keywords=movo+windscreen

I dont remember the proper size for the capsules I'd have to look at mine

Another vote for the Movo screens. You are going to want the 6cm version for vertical caps. I use the 3cm for my MK41s.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Thanks!

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
Thanks! Just ordered a pair advice most appreciated!

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
I have the  Big Ass Shures. Are the Movo’s better.
I got fucked buying the Schoeps expensive setup
and Rycote furs. At MJ 2010, one whole day was ruined.
Bought the Shures when I got home.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:21:38 AM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
I not convinced the Movos perform any better, but I don't think a good wind noise reduction comparison has really been made. They cost less, look cool, can be shorter and are the new alternate option for folks who want to try something different.  I see those things as the drivers for folks using them more than any increased performance difference (which I remain skeptical of).

The acoustic effect of the large diameter rubber cuff in back still concerns me somewhat.  How much does that matter?  Dunno.  Probably depends on the microphone, orientation and and application. The Big Shures are essentially uniform across over all angles of incidence.  They are backed up by measurements and Shure's acoustic engineering expertise.  Keep in mind that in a vertical orientation, that big rubber Movo cuff with a lip around the edge will no longer be located back in the cardioid null region of the pickup pattern, but will extend out in front of the capsule somewhat at the bottom.  Again, not sure what impact that might have or not.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »
The Movos are essentially rycote classic softie (https://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/classic-softie/) and super softie knockoffs (https://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/super-softie/).

I suspect rycote wouldn't have introduced a product without extensive testing. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Movos were not as effective as the Rycotes, given the cost difference.

Bean did a test with a fan at one point, and claimed that the movos worked better than anything else he had. He might be able to comment.

For what it's worth, I used the Movo's at Northerly Island for Phish last summer in wind strong enough to make our FOB stands sway way more than I'd have liked. There's a little phasing from the movement of the stand, but no distortion whatsoever from wind noise. I can't imagine it getting much worse than that.

If anyone would like to do a comp at some point, I'd be happy to supply schoeps capsules and movos.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:45:58 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »
There's a little phasing from the movement of the stand..

FWIW- More of an OT technicality, but I've detected similar wind phasing (without wind noise) in those kinds of conditions using a rock-steady stand.  Also no phasing when using a very wiggly swaying stand.  Not saying a swaying stand won't cause or aggravate wind phasing, only that I suspect the majority of the phasing heard in really windy conditions is the gusting wind pushing the air around in the space between the source and the microphones, or perhaps producing little swirly compression and rarefaction zones of slightly different pressures.  In other words, I don't think one can do much about it other than move closer to the source.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:13:09 PM »
There's a little phasing from the movement of the stand..

FWIW- More of an OT technicality, but I've detected similar wind phasing (without wind noise) in those kinds of conditions using a rock-steady stand.  Also no phasing when using a very wiggly swaying stand.  Not saying a swaying stand won't cause or aggravate wind phasing, only that I suspect the majority of the phasing heard in really windy conditions is the gusting wind pushing the air around in the space between the source and the microphones, or perhaps producing little swirly compression and rarefaction zones of slightly different pressures.  In other words, I don't think one can do much about it other than move closer to the source.
Yes. That's actually likely more the cause of the phasing. You could hear it live as well. And we were in the sweet spot FOB, so I'm not sure there was anything to be done.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com