Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 54276 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2021, 03:19:34 PM »
Ozone has a couple limiters. I think the closest in RX is normalize.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
I've been using rx-7/rx-8 for a while now, and it is very inspiring to be able to enhance my old recordings  :)

For a few basic operations, I've been using an old editing software still, because I haven't found a way to do it in rx-8:

* appending one file to another (without copy/paste)
* fading levels that are a bit more advanced than fade in/out. Let's say I select a portion of the file, and want that to be faded from 80% to 100%.
* Quickly navigate by using keyboard shortcuts for zooming

Does anyone know how to do these things in rx-8? Are there plugins available that would help me? I would love to stop using the old software...
If not, what programs are you guys using for these sorts of operations? I am a mac user...

-colargol

1) I have not found an easy way to append one file to another. I wrote to Izotope about a year ago and told them it would be helpful to add a feature similar to Adobe Audition's "File > Append" function. Received a nice reply saying they would discuss it but so far I have not seen it in RX.

2) You might try using the "clip gain" functionality in RX. (Audacity has this functionality as well). With Clip Gain, you're able to add various "points" along the section you want to control and lower or raise the gain in steps. For example, I've used this in files that have alot of quiet banter in between songs. The artist might speak loudly and softly and it can be time consuming to balance everything out but for me it's worth the effort.

3) I'm not sure about how Izotope works for you on a mac. In windows (using RX7 standard) we can use the middle mouse wheel to zoom in and out on the file section being displayed. Another thing that can be done is to highlight a small section of the file that is showing on your screen. Hitting the UP arrow key zooms in on that highlighted section and centers it on your screen. You can do this multiple times to keep zooming or vice versa to zoom out.

I have finally started using my new mac based on apple silicon, and I am pretty eager to get rid of my old mac running windows software in a virtual machine. Your tip on the "clip gain" feature is gold, thank you very much. It does what I wanted to do, just in a much easier way than before.

I have installed Audacity, and I am sure it is good software, I just don't find it very intuitive, and I really do not like having to "export" the wav file instead of just saving it. But I will use it for some things here and there, I suppose.

Thanks a lot to all others who chimed in with tips on this :) I think I can finally consider getting rid of my old Cooledit pro installation  ;D

MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2021, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm getting an upgrade offer to get RX 8 Standard for $99. I assume everyone that has RX7 Standard is eligible.
I've been using rx-7/rx-8 for a while now, and it is very inspiring to be able to enhance my old recordings  :)

For a few basic operations, I've been using an old editing software still, because I haven't found a way to do it in rx-8:

* appending one file to another (without copy/paste)
* fading levels that are a bit more advanced than fade in/out. Let's say I select a portion of the file, and want that to be faded from 80% to 100%.
* Quickly navigate by using keyboard shortcuts for zooming

Does anyone know how to do these things in rx-8? Are there plugins available that would help me? I would love to stop using the old software...
If not, what programs are you guys using for these sorts of operations? I am a mac user...

-colargol

1) I have not found an easy way to append one file to another. I wrote to Izotope about a year ago and told them it would be helpful to add a feature similar to Adobe Audition's "File > Append" function. Received a nice reply saying they would discuss it but so far I have not seen it in RX.

2) You might try using the "clip gain" functionality in RX. (Audacity has this functionality as well). With Clip Gain, you're able to add various "points" along the section you want to control and lower or raise the gain in steps. For example, I've used this in files that have alot of quiet banter in between songs. The artist might speak loudly and softly and it can be time consuming to balance everything out but for me it's worth the effort.

3) I'm not sure about how Izotope works for you on a mac. In windows (using RX7 standard) we can use the middle mouse wheel to zoom in and out on the file section being displayed. Another thing that can be done is to highlight a small section of the file that is showing on your screen. Hitting the UP arrow key zooms in on that highlighted section and centers it on your screen. You can do this multiple times to keep zooming or vice versa to zoom out.

I have finally started using my new mac based on apple silicon, and I am pretty eager to get rid of my old mac running windows software in a virtual machine. Your tip on the "clip gain" feature is gold, thank you very much. It does what I wanted to do, just in a much easier way than before.

I have installed Audacity, and I am sure it is good software, I just don't find it very intuitive, and I really do not like having to "export" the wav file instead of just saving it. But I will use it for some things here and there, I suppose.

Thanks a lot to all others who chimed in with tips on this :) I think I can finally consider getting rid of my old Cooledit pro installation  ;D

If you can, I'd hold on to the Cooledit program. If I recall, it has all the same functionality of Audition 3.0.

If you ever have the need to join a number of individual .wav files back into a single file, it's so easy with Audition/Cooledit. Open the first file. Select "Open Append" and then select all the files (in order) that you want to have joined. Click "OK" and it's done.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »

Older versions of Audacity would allow editing a WAV file "in place" and would just save the edits in the Audacity work file, if the user set preferences that way. Users still had to do an "export" to save their work in a meaningful file format though, so the the original file was not changed.
But they probably had LOTS of people complaining that their sessions were incomplete, after moving or renaming an original WAV, or even renaming a containing-folder (which affects the path name).
Because Audacity stores its work files as a lot of small files, the only way to get useful formats out is to "Export" at this time.

The advantage is that it's free, and runs on mac, linux and Windows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you ever have the need to join a number of individual .wav files back into a single file, it's so easy with Audition/Cooledit. Open the first file. Select "Open Append" and then select all the files (in order) that you want to have joined. Click "OK" and it's done.

Mac users can JOIN audio files using xACT under the SHNTOOL tab

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 10:55:19 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2021, 08:28:50 AM »
Just checked my IZotope loyalty offers and there's now a $149 upgrade path from RX Elements to RX 9 Standard, through Dec. 12.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »
Discovered yesterday with my brand-new copy of RX 9 that one of the drawbacks of having good de-clicking software is that soon you hear clicks everywhere. I may never finish mastering a recording again...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com