Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 71181 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »
Are you using usbc??  If so your battery doesn't provide the proper power and you need a different battery.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2021, 12:07:09 PM »
Thank you!

Yes - I tried USB-C, so try the battery packs w/ a USB 2.0 connection into the SD?

I have been reading thru the 1st gen thread and I remember reading about a specific USB-C cable, a lot of the old links are expired.

Any opinions on a pair of mic’s into the MixPre 6?  1 & 3 or 1 & 2?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
^ An advantage to using 1 - 2 is that you can link the channels. I don't think you can link 1 and 3 (although you can link 1 - 3).

With respect to the battery, SD says:

Quote from: Sound Devices
To fully power the MixPre-3 II or MixPre-6 II from a USB power source not listed above, you will need BOTH of the following:

USB-C power source that is compliant with the USB powering specification and is able to output 7.5W
USB-C cable that incorporates the correct pull-up resistors to identify itself as able to provide 7.5W
If either of these conditions are not met, the MixPre recorder will operate in low power mode: maximum 2x 48v phantom channels, no HDMI, no USB-A. You can still use all of the MixPre’s channels, but only a maximum of 2 can be phantom powered.

NOTE: A USB-A power source used in conjunction with a USB-A to USB-C cable cannot deliver the required 7.5W for full power operation.

Batteries with "PD" (power delivery) will work; Anker makes some (including the one SD recommends), as do others.

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »
Thank you, any suggestions on who makes the USB-C compliant cable?

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »
Thank you, any suggestions on who makes the USB-C compliant cable?

I bought a braided Anker USB-C to USB-C cable from Amazon. It’s worked well for the 2+ years I’ve been using it.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2021, 10:04:11 AM »
Thank you ^.

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2021, 12:47:52 AM »
has anyone had luck with a mixpre-3 or mixpre-6 version I copying directly to a usb-c thumb drive like this one? https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Drive-Type-C/dp/B01EZ0X55C
I see they have the functionality in the version II via USB-A, and from the version I user manual, it looks like the "write" is initiated from the device.  but I don't understand what would prevent the version I from writing to a usb-c thumb drive. maybe there is something I'm missing.  how about writing to an android smart phone (via usb-c)?

the reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about transferring a stereo wav off the device after a show to listen (via usb drive or smartphone) and don't want to have to get my laptop involved. can I write the LR wav file to the SD card (and then pull the card out and use a card reader) on my android/iphone to copy the wav? I'd like to avoid removing the sd card if possible, as to not risk somehow loosing the recording or corrupting the files.

also, how about usb Class 1/2 connectivity, or asio driver support with the Apple M1 Silicon MacBooks (via usb-c)? has this been tried?
ps - oh and by the way, I only have 1 ticket and like 5 posts b/c this is a new screen name. My old one was "eclark" but I had someone that was taking tickets from me like everyday and I didn't want to deal with it so I just signed up for a new name.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2021, 12:53:54 AM »
also, how about usb Class 1/2 connectivity, or asio driver support with the Apple M1 Silicon MacBooks (via usb-c)? has this been tried?
I am listening to computer audio played back through my Mixpre6 version 1 via USB-C on my M1 mini right now.
It's my main audio interface to my home stereo.

Not 100% sure about the ASIO part, cause I never had to specify that but it seems legit.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When I put it into File Transfer mode under the system menu, it removes the audio interface availability until I exit file transfer mode
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:55:57 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2021, 09:13:16 AM »
I am listening to computer audio played back through my Mixpre6 version 1 via USB-C on my M1 mini right now.

Not 100% sure about the ASIO part, cause I never had to specify that but it seems legit.

ASIO is a Windows thing. macOS doesn´t need that.

MixPres are class compliant USB audio devices. You can configure them as stereo devices or full multitrack.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
has anyone had luck with a mixpre-3 or mixpre-6 version I copying directly to a usb-c thumb drive like this one? https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Drive-Type-C/dp/B01EZ0X55C
I see they have the functionality in the version II via USB-A, and from the version I user manual, it looks like the "write" is initiated from the device.  but I don't understand what would prevent the version I from writing to a usb-c thumb drive. maybe there is something I'm missing.  how about writing to an android smart phone (via usb-c)?

the reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about transferring a stereo wav off the device after a show to listen (via usb drive or smartphone) and don't want to have to get my laptop involved. can I write the LR wav file to the SD card (and then pull the card out and use a card reader) on my android/iphone to copy the wav? I'd like to avoid removing the sd card if possible, as to not risk somehow loosing the recording or corrupting the files.

The first version of the MixPre 3/6 do not have the needed internal USB hardware and is therefor unable to write to a thumb drive.
What you can do is run an iPhone or iPod on the USB port via a lightning cable and se it up as an external two channel recorder while doing the real recording on the MixPre.
Or do it "off line" and simply let the MixPre play the recording and have an external iOS device recording it - but it will be time consuming as it have to be done 1:1 instead of simply doing a transfer of the wav files as the second version can do it.

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »
When I put it into File Transfer mode under the system menu, it removes the audio interface availability until I exit file transfer mode

nice, thanks for the info and screenshot.

ASIO is a Windows thing. macOS doesn´t need that.

doh. thanks

What you can do is run an iPhone or iPod on the USB port via a lightning cable and se it up as an external two channel recorder while doing the real recording on the MixPre.

thanks for the tip.

but it will be time consuming as it have to be done 1:1

well, i'm not _that_ concerned about taking the card out. I will likely just pull it to transfer to my mobile via usb-c>usb-a>card reader
ps - oh and by the way, I only have 1 ticket and like 5 posts b/c this is a new screen name. My old one was "eclark" but I had someone that was taking tickets from me like everyday and I didn't want to deal with it so I just signed up for a new name.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2021, 08:11:55 PM »

:cowbell:

m1 mini > mixpre-6 > ?

I've got a pair of HS7s I've been using with my Komplete Audio 6, but it can't even power a single AKG C214 on 5V.... much less anything anything else the mixpre-6 can do. >:D

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline morst

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2021, 10:11:45 PM »
:cowbell:m1 mini > mixpre-6 > ?I've got a pair of HS7s I've been using with my Komplete Audio 6, but it can't even power a single AKG C214 on 5V.... much less anything anything else the mixpre-6 can do. >:D 
I run from the very delicate Mixpre6 mini output, using a pretty standard stereo 1/8" mini > 2xRCAs cable into my Denon PMA-520 "Precision Audio Component / Integrated Stereo Amplifier" (you know, like a receiver, but with no tuner. It's a control/preamplifier and power amplifier in one box) purchased from Best Sound in St Louis county, in 1989 for my college graduation.I run some decent speaker cables (nothing fancy, just a bunch of copper strands comprising two conductors, and stuffed into a plastic-y jacket) into a pair of A/D/S M12 3-way "tower" monitor speakers with a pair of 8"s, 5" midrange and a 1" soft dome tweeter in the middle. Sealed cabinet design. Mmm. Sealed cabinet. (ported, aka reflex designs rely on holes which concentrate air flow and cause resonance which does not help me with my mixing or listening.)My A/D/S M12 pair is black in color, similar to the attached image.

is that what you were asking?

or did you want to know about my inputs to the system?
I am not podcasting or recording directly from the mixpre, although it seems to work fine in testing. :hmmm:

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »
I run from the very delicate Mixpre6 mini output
or did you want to know about my inputs to the system?

I had a 1/8" stereo 12" techflex cable with RA neutrik connectors custom made on here (can't remember from who) a while back from the 3.5mm out I used to run into my M10 from a mixpre and mixpre-d. I wouldn't consider anything SD necessarily delicate. that was a pretty bomb proof connection with those metal RA neutrik 1/8" connectors into the mixpre out.  (a side note, my buddy was plugging his ipod into my car one time with that 12" cable and was so jealous I had it custom made lol. had never heard of such a thing)

It looked like you had stereo input to the mixpre-6 in your screenshot earlier, guessing that's a single usb-c connection, with power from the mini?

yes. i like the amp. just curious. i'm not a huge fan of my komplete audio 6, and would like to replace it with something much more substantial, simply as an interface to my (powered) HS7 from my main desktop. I know the outputs on the mixpre-6 are fairly limited. I could run the stereo out into a mixer (which would be useful for some other stuff), but OTOH my main desktop stays powered on around the clock and not sure i want to run the mixpre-6 24/7.

I do need to also use the P48 inputs also for some "studio" work (voice over, live broadcasting), which I can definitely make happen with the mixpre-6 now.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline morst

« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2021, 02:18:17 AM »
I had a 1/8" stereo 12" techflex cable with RA neutrik connectors custom made on here (can't remember from who) a while back from the 3.5mm out I used to run into my M10 from a mixpre and mixpre-d. I wouldn't consider anything SD necessarily delicate. that was a pretty bomb proof connection with those metal RA neutrik 1/8" connectors into the mixpre out.  (a side note, my buddy was plugging his ipod into my car one time with that 12" cable and was so jealous I had it custom made lol. had never heard of such a thing)

It looked like you had stereo input to the mixpre-6 in your screenshot earlier, guessing that's a single usb-c connection, with power from the mini?

yes. i like the amp. just curious. i'm not a huge fan of my komplete audio 6, and would like to replace it with something much more substantial, simply as an interface to my (powered) HS7 from my main desktop. I know the outputs on the mixpre-6 are fairly limited. I could run the stereo out into a mixer (which would be useful for some other stuff), but OTOH my main desktop stays powered on around the clock and not sure i want to run the mixpre-6 24/7.

I do need to also use the P48 inputs also for some "studio" work (voice over, live broadcasting), which I can definitely make happen with the mixpre-6 now.
My mixpre has spent less than 72 hours "off" since the pandemic began, and none of that on battery power.
I run it constantly via USB-C as the sound interface.
Bought some external SSD's recently though, and noticed that the Anker branded skinny USB-C cable I'm using is NOT sufficient to run a Samsung T5 or T7, though it powers the mixpre with "green" levels via the M1 USB-C port.
That said, I have a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub which I plug into one of my MacMini Thunderbolt 4 ports (they are backward compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C)
When I plug the MixPre6 vI into the Nucleum hub via the Anker cable which came with my USB-C battery, I only get "amber" power levels, enough for two but not four channels of Kashmir preamp.
When I plug the MixPre6 vI into the M1 MacMini Thunderbolt/USB-C ports directly with that same cable, it gets "green"  levels of power on the indicator, so it could run four channels of 48v phantom if needed.

v6.0 firmware currently on my Mixpre6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com