Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a low footprint stand that goes to 12’?  (Read 4045 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Can anyone recommend a low footprint stand that goes to 12’?
« on: November 05, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
For one chatty venue. My old 15’ Shure with those fucking collars isn’t happening.

Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Can anyone recommend a low footprint stand that goes to 12’?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:43:19 PM »
Are you open to attaching an extension or do you strictly want just the stand itself to go to 12 ft?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:24:09 PM »
How compact do you need it to fold up? And where do you draw the line for low profile?

If weight/compactness isn't an issue, what about a C-stand. Relatively small footprint vs height/stability. Easily sand-bagged. Super solid. Impact makes one that goes to 11', ~$120 in black or chrome with a grip head and 40" extension arm. I don't use mine for sound stuff, but it's a great stand.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »
everybody else striving to go to eleven

makersmarc literally raising the bar
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
 :lol:

I can live with 10’ or 11’. Is rather not have to clamp mics, want a top attachment.

The issue is 191 Toole. After 20 shows or so, it’s clear that the sweet spot isn’t on the pillar about 15’ from stage I usually clamp to, it’s back by the board, 30’ back.

If I ever tape there again.  ??? 

Thanks  all!

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
The Manfrotto 1004BAC goes to 12'. Not exactly a small footprint, but it is still pretty stable if you don't fully extend the feet. The K&M 20811 goes even higher, but it is heavy.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »
When I need the smallest footprint and need to use a stand I use a Manfrotto 3350 as the base and attach a Manfrotto 099b to the stud on the top.

The 3350 has been discontinued but the Manfrotto 156BLB appears to be the exact same stand. I know people hack the legs on larger stands to get a smaller footprint but I've never understood why when you can buy stands that were made with shorter legs. I tape the legs down to the floor to give the stand better rigidity and it works just fine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/replacement_for/92393-REG/Manfrotto_3350_3350_Light_Stand.html
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 07:01:21 AM »
The first seven feet are easy:

Skip the dish and add a five foot fishing pole
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »
Chop the feet off a proper stand and use triple sandbags to compensate for the fact that it will tend to fall over (AW, IT'S NO FUN!)
Bring velcro, straps, string, gaffer tape...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 07:11:02 AM »
Seriously, a light stand with the adapter.
You can pull the bottom tripod in pretty tight.

Go to ebay, search "13ft light stand"
Then get the mic mount adapter from BH Photo

If you don't mind carrying a ton, the old school mic stands used smaller round weights for a base, I'd guess about 20 pounds worth.
They have caused broken toes, carry with caution.
That in mind, a can of cement could become a base, if you're into trash-chic diy

Mine used to say "Atlas Sound" on it...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:26:03 AM by 108Ω »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
I think some people are missing that MakersMarc is specifically asking for small footprint. 

I have done this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253077-REG/Impact_LS_3S_Two_Section_Back_Light.html
+
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35.html/prm/alsVwDtl
+
As much weight as you can carry.  The clamp-on weights from Impact and Manfrotto are nice, but pricey.  I use a knockoff from Neweer but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
Sandbags don't work great on this setup, so I would recommend a weight plate with large center hole, or a kettlebell of at least 15 lbs.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Thanks!

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
K=M 26007 plus a suitable base (they do a range of different sizes/weights, or one could put it on the standard round K+M base with the addition of some dumbell weights to increase stability (10kg weights are just a smidge larger than the normal K+M base and their centre holes fit the stand upright very well).

Fully extended, that upright goes to 3.15m - about 10' 4", plus an inch or so for the base.

The 26007 is K+M's production response (at last!) to demand for the semi-mythical, non-catalogue K+M 260/8 round base stand with an upright which goes to about 3.28m (10' 9") and which is/was only available through a couple of MI stores in Norway, and the existence of which K+M would always deny when queried!

This pic shows the 260/8 with an additional 10kg dumbell weight on the base, and four SDCs on a 75cm wide bar at a bit below full height (there's also a Schoeps RC1200 tube in the background for some idea of scale):

Or there's the K+M 21021 "Overhead" boom stand which, as standard, goes to 2.01m and comes with a 1.065m boom to give around 3.075m (10' 1") but if you swap the boom for the 25530 telescopic boom (which can extend to 1.55m) you can get up to 3.56m (11' 8") and a few inches more if you take off the boom counterweight and stick with using the stand vertically/or near vertically.

That setup is visible in this pic and arranged around/above the conductor here:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:15:47 PM by 0vu »

Offline crackmc

• Taperssection Member
  • nein dispatch says zer is problem mit deine kable
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 10:59:41 PM »
that is one of the sexiest mic setups I've ever seen
wish the footprints were more visible though
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:01:22 PM by crackmc »
you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
....wish the footprints were more visible though

I haven't found any pics showing the whole stand fully raised but here are some pics showing the footprint of the stands:

Same venue as the other pic but a different show. The tall stand is the one in the foreground (there's another one just behind the third chair back on the right) and a couple of 'standard' size boom stands. The bases on the taller boom stands are wider than normal.

Different venue, two of the tall stands either side of the conductor's music stand and a third visible behind those, with a 10kg sandbag on the base for safety as the boom was reaching well out from the centre of gravity:

An other different venue with the stands in a group with others for an idea of scale. The flat tripod bases are all ove the type I use for the tall stands (though in this pic they're not all fitted with the telescopic booms) and the taller round base stands are the same type as shown in the other pic above.

If I find any pics showing the whole stand I'll add them.

I just noticed that K+M have added a new stand to the range. The 20150 is tripod base version of their tall round base stand, which has longer legs still at an 850mm (2'9") base, and goes to 3220mm (10' 6"). If that will take the telescopic boom then the combination will go to 4770mm (15'7")! But it's a big if on fiitting the boom as its weight might stress the smaller diameter rods and telescope mechanism of the top section of the stand more than is desirable and be a particular problem if the boom moves away from vertical. I'd better order one and find out I guess.  :smash:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 02:44:08 PM by 0vu »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 08:58:39 PM »
I just would like to say that I appreciate this thread--both the question and the various answers, which opened up some new ideas for me, and I imagine for other people as well.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline crackmc

• Taperssection Member
  • nein dispatch says zer is problem mit deine kable
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 12:08:08 AM »
thanks so much @0vu for those pics  ;D

I LOVE THIS PIC SO MUCH

also...
Manfrotto 003 (base) + Manfrotto 099B (0.89 > 2.3m pole) + Manfrotto 122B (53 > 85cm pole) puts you 10'4" from the floor
if you add a boom (w/ a 5/8" adapter) pointing straight up you can get 12'
if you combine two 099Bs you can reach 12' and beyond
(I wouldn't try more than 10' without a sandbag or two)

the 003 is WAY more stable than you'd expect with the 099B (which gets you a little over 7' from the floor)...and crazy compact/portable/light

you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 06:08:26 AM »

Manfrotto 003 (base) + Manfrotto 099B (0.89 > 2.3m pole) + Manfrotto 122B (53 > 85cm pole) puts you 10'4" from the floor
if you add a boom (w/ a 5/8" adapter) pointing straight up you can get 12'
if you combine two 099Bs you can reach 12' and beyond
(I wouldn't try more than 10' without a sandbag or two)

the 003 is WAY more stable than you'd expect with the 099B (which gets you a little over 7' from the floor)...and crazy compact/portable/light

+1 on the 003 / 099B combination.  I use this all the time, but I use the Impact base instead, which I prefer for being all-black. It also comes with the 3' extension, which your 099b can mount directly on top of with no adapter.

As crackmc said, you definitely want some heavy weight on this setup, and I would be careful about how much weight you are
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 06:18:47 AM »
Hang on; I think I have found the simplest solution.

Get a Manfrotto 003 or Impact Back Light Stand as described above, and then one of these cheap boom poles which extend to 11.5' and is threaded at both ends. It is not specified, but the bottom appears to be 5/8" internal threading.

https://www.amazon.com/Nicama-Professional-Handheld-Microphones-Lightweight/dp/B076HSY5VK/

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-TP-3000C-Microphone-4-Section-Recording/dp/B01HGM4Y6A/
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com