Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Directional arrow on cables  (Read 8607 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Directional arrow on cables
« on: April 12, 2021, 12:11:41 PM »
Would this fall in snake oil? I have a number of cables of various types that have directional arrows. I’m calling BS and more snake oil. :smash:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:12:37 PM by ts »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Directional arrow on cable types
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:39 PM »
Most cables are bullshit.  I have a close friend, and audiophile, who of course knows everything and is smarter about audio than any of us living persons.  After he gives his opinion on bit rate and htz settings and cables, I ask him to take the Scooter Challenge and tell me if he can identify the different files made with different cables and settings, and of course, he won't take the test.  Because I know there is no audio difference to most human ears
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 03:33:14 PM »
There is a practical reason for directional markings, but it's nothing to do with the cable itself considered in isolation.

An analog audio signal has alternating polarity, so in regards to the behavior of the cable itself, directional signal markers printed on the cable jacket are meaningless.  That is unless the cable was somehow designed to act as a rectifier, which is not what one would want nor how standard audio transmission operates. 

However, in a completed cable assembly such directional markings on the cable jacket can be helpful in indicating the orientation of the terminations, and thus the correct orientation of the cable with regards to the two pieces iof equipment it is connecting.  Consider a microphone cable.  Because microphones generally feature a male XLR output connector while preamplifier/recorder inputs feature a mating female XLR input connection, the directional markings can indicate the practical "directionality" of the cable from microphone to input.  This can be useful in setting things up under pressure.  Such as reducing the likelihood of making a mistake when laying out a long cable run only to discover it when proceeding to hook things up.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 04:48:46 PM »
Thanks GB. The cables I’m using as an example for this post are speaker cables. The directional marker is therefore meaningless.  :shrug: my thread topic should have been clearer.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 06:27:49 PM »
The same could apply with regards to different terminations at either end of the speaker cable (amp >>> speaker).  So directional markings in and of themselves on the cable jacket are not necessarily indicative of the tweaky audiophile BS some folks attribute to them.  But in regards to the signal passing through the cable itself, yeah, orientation if the cable itself won't matter.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Scooter123

Re: Directional arrow on cables
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:09:13 PM »
I doubt anyone could hear the difference if these cables were installed backwards.  In theory perhaps it makes a difference, but not an audible difference. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 08:36:31 AM »
I doubt anyone could hear the difference if these cables were installed backwards.  In theory perhaps it makes a difference, but not an audible difference.

I have a few digital cables that have direction arrows, but never had analog cables that had them. Especially speaker cables.  ::)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »

Actually, "in theory" the direction of signal flow makes no difference - which is the basis for derision against the claims that it does.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 09:19:11 AM »
If you install them the wrong way, will it play the white album backwards?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
^ Don't let the demon speak out!   Like the magic smoke captured within the electrical system of old British sports cars, you'll never get it back in again.

"Turn me on deadman"

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 02:19:21 PM »
^ captured within the electrical system of old British sports cars

Q:  Do you know why Lucas Electrical did not make refrigerators? 
A:  They wanted them to work. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »
While helping friends in high school struggling to keep the magic smoke unreleased from their old beater MGs, Triumphs and Austin Healeys, I was mostly tinkering with aircooled WVs.  But I later bought a cool little Volvo 1800S - a model who's bodywork was built in Sweden of high-grade Swedish iron superior to that used in all my VW rustbuckets, yet outfitted in England using the same British Leyland component as the Brit sports cars: Lucas electrical stuff, SU carbs, etc..  So there was no escaping it. 

I think you are on to something there, as none of them featured AC.

If you install them the wrong way, will it play the white album backwards?

The license plate on the white '73 convertible super beetle I drove for years read:

28IF LMW

^ An inverted version of the plate on the Abby Road album cover beetle. The non-inverse version being unavailable.  Over the years I was driving that car, racking up many miles making the trip between FL and upstate NY twice annually, just two people ever recognized and commented on it.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 04:34:53 PM »
Back on subject....

Why would somebody pay so much for this digi cable??  It has NO arrows.  ::) :smash: :crying:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:37:05 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com