Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What y'all using for windsceens these days?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Archive Bookmarks
What y'all using for windsceens these days?
« on: November 07, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »
So I have been running the DPA UA0896 screens made for the DPA4011 with my AKG c460b|ck3 setup for the past 15 years and it dawned one me during this past Phish Vegas run that I should replace them as they are starting to fall apart and I don't want to damage my mic capsules with little pieces of windscreen material.

So, should I just buy a new pair of these or have there been improvements in the windscreen game that I am not aware of?

I have a pair of the Movo furry guys for my ck8s but was looking for something that is similar to the DPA screens I have that offer protection in mildly windy environments and something I can just run indoors too without coloring my recordings too much. If I tape outside in a windy environment I have a pair of dead rats that I made to fit over the DPA screens.

I am aware of the "big ass" Shure windscreens but don't think I need them for 95% of the taping I do so I have never bought them.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:45:30 AM by JiB97 »
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: What y'all using for windsceens these days?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 02:49:03 AM »
On my second set of 0896s.
Love em.
Like any foam screen, pull them off the end of the mic so there is a bit of a pocket of still air.

I am certain that other screens can protect more but these work for my needs.
Rykote, BAS are totally legit but if you know the 0896, just make sure your set is not flaking into dust.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 06:38:28 AM »
Bought these for my DPA402X -
 https://www.adorama.com/mvwst50.html

Used them last weekend and they are great. Had 20MPH gusts and no wind leaks. All wind screens take out some high end. Though these seemed minimal in those regards. Very well constructed and only cost 15.95 each. In the thread above they said you do not need dead rats over them.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »

I got out my DPA screens to use them a few weeks ago and got black crumbly particles all over my desk.

I think I'm going to replace them with the same screens instead of trying something new.

I have 3 sets of screens -

Very small cheapo foam for indoors in best conditions - mainly for peace of mind
DPA for indoors where a big fan or HVAC might be an issue or outside in favorable conditions
Movo WST50 for outside when it's likely to be gusty

I've had less then stellar results with the DPAs outside - I live in the Midwest and it can get gusty with no real warning.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »

Used them last weekend and they are great. Had 20MPH gusts and no wind leaks. All wind screens take out some high end. Though these seemed minimal in those regards. Very well constructed and only cost 15.95 each. In the thread above they said you do not need dead rats over them.

Yep, think I am gonna grab a pair of these and then also the Schoeps B5s for indoor work.

Just found out there are B5 and B5D and the BFDs seem to have a little more air around the capsules vs. the B5, at least according to Schoeps: https://schoeps.de/en/products/accessories/wind-popscreens/hollow-foam-type-windscreens/b-5-d.html

Anyone running these B5Ds and can comment on them vs. the regular Schoeps B5s?
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 12:38:21 AM »
Many years ago I ruined a few recordings when the wind turned out to be stronger than I'd anticipated. Since then, the relatively few times that I record outdoors I've deliberately been a bit overly protective about wind. It's like the way that I'd rather record at 6 dB too low a level rather than 3 dB too high. Or maybe I'm just being respectful of the way that nature doesn't always heed my wishes.

Anyway, to answer your question directly, I use the B 5 D particularly when I record narration at close miking distances. It's also ideal for voiceovers when you're using an end-addressed capsule, or basically any time you're close-miking a speaking or singing voice on axis with such a capsule. It was designed for use on stage during an outdoor concert of "The Three Tenors" that Decca planned to record and to issue as a CD and a DVD (see photo below). The mission was to protect from breath noise and "popping" without coloring the sound any more than absolutely necessary.

The stage was inside a large concert shell--a "semi-controlled" environment, you could say. The fact that the B 5 D (or the B anything) works as a windscreen is a nice side effect, but with that size and shape it's strictly for mild wind. The "B" stands for "Besprechungsschutz", which means "close-talking guard" in the older, U.K. usage. The usual American English translation these days is "popscreen". Informally they are sometimes called "windscreens" but that can lead to unfortunate misunderstandings and disappointed expectations in my opinion.

Schoeps' actual windscreens--designed to take into account the fact that wind can come from any or all directions--all have product names that start with "W" (= Windschutz). There is a W 5 D with an internal structure like that of the B 5 D; externally it's larger and spherically shaped. See https://schoeps.de/en/products/accessories/wind-popscreens/hollow-foam-type-windscreens/w-5-d.html

--best regards
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:38:47 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 02:06:31 AM »
Many years ago I ruined a few recordings when the wind turned out to be stronger than I'd anticipated. Since then, the relatively few times that I record outdoors I've deliberately been a bit overly protective about wind. It's like the way that I'd rather record at 6 dB too low a level rather than 3 dB too high. Or maybe I'm just being respectful of the way that nature doesn't always heed my wishes.

Anyway, to answer your question directly, I use the B 5 D particularly when I record narration at close miking distances. It's also ideal for voiceovers when you're using an end-addressed capsule, or basically any time you're close-miking a speaking or singing voice on axis with such a capsule. It was designed for outdoor concerts of "The Three Tenors" (see photo below), to protect from breath noise and "popping" without coloring the sound any more than absolutely necessary.

The fact that the B 5 D (or the B anything) works as a windscreen is a nice side effect, but with that size and shape it's strictly for mild wind. The "B" stands for "Besprechungsschutz", which means "close-talking guard" in the older, U.K. usage. The usual American English translation these days is "popscreen". Informally they are sometimes called "windscreens" but that can lead to unfortunate misunderstandings and disappointed expectations in my opinion.

Schoeps' actual windscreens--designed to take into account the fact that wind can come from any or all directions--all have product names that start with "W" (= Windschutz). There is a W 5 D with an internal structure like that of the B 5 D; externally it's larger and spherically shaped. See https://schoeps.de/en/products/accessories/wind-popscreens/hollow-foam-type-windscreens/w-5-d.html

--best regards

Thanks for the reply and information, always appreciated.

A local fella I used to see at shows used those W5Ds with his CMC6|mk41 setup indoors and then used the BBG ones outdoors, always seemed to do a good job at mitigating wind.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:18:51 PM by JiB97 »
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 05:22:39 PM »

Most people know I sing the praises of these windscreens at every opportunity. I originally purchased them to use with my CM3s at marching band competitions, where they successfully mitigated gusts of over 40 mph. Most recently, I used them at an outdoor choral concert on a small stage set back into the woods, where it was quite breezy. Zero wind noise.

I agree that they take very little HF out of the picture. My experience with "dead rats" has been much worse with this.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 10:30:11 AM »
I'm liking the Windtech screens.  Made in USA, and quality.  I'm noticing less interference than with my furry MOVO screens.

Windtech SG-1 for light-mid duty for AKG eb568
Windtech BG-1 for heavy duty for AKG eb568

Windtech 20/421 for Neumann TLM 102 for most conditions, I add a MOVO furry cover if needed

Windtech 1200 series for light-mid duty on AKG ck61/63
MOVO WS-80 or BAS for heavy duty
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »
My DPA windscreens are shedding already at under 3 years old. I have ordered some B5s for indoor use and have Movo "ballistics" for outdoors.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »
I use these indoors with Gefell, Milab, DPA & Schoeps.  Highly recommended, great screens, dual layer design for efficient reduction of very light wind. 

https://vintageking.com/sennheiser-mzw8000-dual-layer-windshield

If I have any doubts at all about the wind severity I use the Movo's listed below.  Depending upon the mics, active or full body, I use the Movo WST50 or WST80 Ballistic outdoors for any wind above a whisper.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499733-REG/movo_photo_wst50_nylon_windscreen_with_acoustic.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499734-REG/movo_photo_wst80_nylon_windscreen_with_acoustic.html?sts=pi-ps&pim=Y

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com