Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3  (Read 69133 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F3
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2022, 03:13:13 AM »
I liked the F3 because it would "move" view during playback.That is, if you record ambisonic, you can move the unit while it is playing, and it will move the listener.Pretty cool interface.
Unfortunately, the USB connector on it broke.  Very unhappy with Zoom.  Great projects, but poor quality control and design.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2022, 03:20:20 AM »
[Edited to add that I'm listening to the sample right now - nice! - but I felt the need to lift the upper frequencies somewhat, as the cymbal sound in particular sounded a bit veiled to me.  But I'm listening with 73 year old ears... yesterday they were only 72 years old... sigh!]
Happy belated birthday from San Francisco! :-)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2022, 11:25:59 AM »
Happy belated birthday from San Francisco! :-)

Thanks.... SF... I haven't been back there since 1968... those were the days.  Somewhere I have a reel-to-reel recording of an interview I did with a hippie drug addict there (charming young lady actually) but heaven knows where I've put it!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2022, 12:35:46 PM »
I think the best way to fix this hold/record switch issue is through a firmware update that does the following:

1. REC/HOLD switch only starts recording. Engaging it again after rolling only add markers (or does nothing at all).
2. To stop recording, the HOLD must be disengaged, and then you must do a 2-second press on the STOP button.

These changes would compensate for the relatively low disengaging force of the hold switch, move the stop function to another switch entirely, and prevent accidental stops.

Once, again, they had all of this figured out quite well on the F6: REC just records. STOP stops. The hold function is engaged by a 2-second press on the headphone volume control. They could have done all of that exactly the same on the F3 and saved some money by having a simple button instead of a two-position slider.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline gaijin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2022, 11:24:43 PM »
Second outing report:

Gaffer's taped the switch in the lock position this time - not going to be fooled again!

This time it was Joey DeFrancesco @ Berk's Jazz Fest using Line Audio CM4 (48v) from FOB, DFC ~Wide ORTF mounted to a stationary  >:D "object" direct into the F3 @ 32, 48.  1.5 hour show still left me with about half battery using 2 Eneloop Pros - the battery life on this is also turning out to be more than sufficient which is very nice.

Size of device was once again its best asset - was not at all of interest during bag search.  :)

Seems more weighted toward "warm" this time, but I still have the impression that similar outings with the SDs just sound better out of the device.  With that said I'm sure I could EQ to taste for a nearly identical result.  Don't hear anything fundamentally wrong with the file.  Perhaps I've just had too much of the SD Kool-aid at this point.  I have a couple pairs of these mics so the next chance I get I'd like to compare the 2 recorders with identical mic setup to see if there's something there or it's all in my head.

Sample track available here for a week: https://we.tl/t-dfMx2s8DUP

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2022, 02:43:02 AM »
Sample track available here for a week
I like it, but when the synth player plays, it drowns out Joey's B3.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline gaijin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2022, 12:08:29 PM »
3rd outing:

The F3 is continuing to be a winner.  The gaff tape, while not ideal, is proving to be effective in avoiding erroneous stops.  Battery life continues to be great with the Eneloop Pros - I am never below 50% by the end of a ~ 1.5 hour set @ 32/48 w/ 48v phantom on.  Bag checks don't even see the Hermitshell case I have the F3 in opened up - it is small enough that it is entirely disregarded by security so far - obviously that will vary by venue.  I'm going to do a Herbie show soonish - he tends to have much tighter screening from experience, so it will likely get its real test then.

In terms of ease of stealth operation, it really doesn't get any simpler.  I am eyeballing levels based on house music before hitting record and dumping it till the end of show - not checking anything but an occasional glance at the red recording light (out of paranoia from the past lost recording on the first outing).  Results have been great so far and the 32-bit would make even significantly botched levels a non-issue.

This time there was far too much bass so I've done some minor post to the samples as it was not listenable as it was. Still too much cymbal/hh "crashiness" going on for my taste so I did minor subtractive EQ on that as well.

All things considered, after 3 outings with different types of venues / different mic setups / etc I am giving this one a big thumbs up.  As mentioned previously I am inclined to use the MixPre3-ii whenever there is no concern for security rummaging through the bag, based on my subjective assessment that it just sounds "better" raw from device, but when stealth is a factor I no longer feel like I am sacrificing as much as I did with the stealth oriented Sony A10, D50, D1, M10 / Sony XLR-1 /  Battery Box setups I was using previously.

Recorded directly behind soundboard using a slightly narrow (practical stealth issues) NOS on stealth "object" peeking over the rail ~ 6ft high (very low "balcony") @ DFC, FOB with Line Audio CM4 > F3. 

Artist: Keiko Matsui
Venue: Bethesda Blues and Jazz Club, Bethesda, MD.

Sample 1:
https://we.tl/t-Nc0HP9SPXl

Sample 2:
https://we.tl/t-kxPahRPcVZ

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2022, 05:44:45 PM »
3rd outing:

The F3 is continuing to be a winner.  The gaff tape, while not ideal, is proving to be effective in avoiding erroneous stops.  Battery life continues to be great with the Eneloop Pros - I am never below 50% by the end of a ~ 1.5 hour set @ 32/48 w/ 48v phantom on.  Bag checks don't even see the Hermitshell case I have the F3 in opened up - it is small enough that it is entirely disregarded by security so far - obviously that will vary by venue.  I'm going to do a Herbie show soonish - he tends to have much tighter screening from experience, so it will likely get its real test then.

In terms of ease of stealth operation, it really doesn't get any simpler.  I am eyeballing levels based on house music before hitting record and dumping it till the end of show - not checking anything but an occasional glance at the red recording light (out of paranoia from the past lost recording on the first outing).  Results have been great so far and the 32-bit would make even significantly botched levels a non-issue.

This time there was far too much bass so I've done some minor post to the samples as it was not listenable as it was. Still too much cymbal/hh "crashiness" going on for my taste so I did minor subtractive EQ on that as well.

All things considered, after 3 outings with different types of venues / different mic setups / etc I am giving this one a big thumbs up.  As mentioned previously I am inclined to use the MixPre3-ii whenever there is no concern for security rummaging through the bag, based on my subjective assessment that it just sounds "better" raw from device, but when stealth is a factor I no longer feel like I am sacrificing as much as I did with the stealth oriented Sony A10, D50, D1, M10 / Sony XLR-1 /  Battery Box setups I was using previously.

Recorded directly behind soundboard using a slightly narrow (practical stealth issues) NOS on stealth "object" peeking over the rail ~ 6ft high (very low "balcony") @ DFC, FOB with Line Audio CM4 > F3. 

Artist: Keiko Matsui
Venue: Bethesda Blues and Jazz Club, Bethesda, MD.

Sample 1:
https://we.tl/t-Nc0HP9SPXl

Sample 2:
https://we.tl/t-kxPahRPcVZ

Excellent write up! Definitely see the potential for one of these…

mcfoster

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2022, 09:01:05 PM »
I love my F6. I want one of these too! It's like secret weapon.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »
Ordered one…

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2022, 09:21:36 AM »
End user report is eagerly awaited!  I hope you get delivery soon.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2022, 01:23:40 PM »
Couple of questions

-Anyone use the bluetooth adapter/app? Based on the issues with the recording slide, seems like gaff-taping that in place and using the app to control makes some sense?

-Thoughts/ideas on mounting it? It primarily won't be a  >:D tool for me, and I'm thinking I'd like to just mount it right to the stand. Could probably use those bars and tape it, but some sort of clamp option would be nice too.

-Has anyone tested it using AA batteries, plus an external pack? Curious if it's a seamless transition if the external pack dies (my understanding is that it defaults to external power first). I'd like to use a smallish usb battery with it if possible.

Should be getting it Friday, probably running it for a festival in a few weeks!

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2022, 01:48:21 PM »
Couple of questions

-Thoughts/ideas on mounting it? It primarily won't be a  >:D tool for me, and I'm thinking I'd like to just mount it right to the stand. Could probably use those bars and tape it, but some sort of clamp option would be nice too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422139-REG/smallrig_2164_multi_functional_crab_shaped_clamp.html

I use this for my A10, should work nicely with the F3.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

mcfoster

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2022, 01:54:35 PM »
I like that clamp a lot, and the price is great too.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
Couple of questions

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422139-REG/smallrig_2164_multi_functional_crab_shaped_clamp.html

I use this for my A10, should work nicely with the F3.

Perfect - exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com