Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Saramonic Smart V2M Portable Audio Interface (similar to DPA MMA-A d:Vice)  (Read 2345 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it

Smart V2M Portable Interface with 2 Lavalier Microphones for Apple Lightning (iPhone/iPad), Android USB-C & Computers

- 2-person audio solution that fits in a pocket delivers professional broadcast-quality sound directly into iPhones, iPads, Android devices, Windows PCs and Mac Computers
- Includes 2 wired lavalier mics (one with a 9.8-foot cable and the other with a 16.4-foot cable) and 3 output cables (Lightning for Apple devices, USB-C for Android, USB-A for PC and Mac computers)
- High-quality built-in microphone preamps and analog-to-digital converter provide premium sound quality with no batteries or charging required for operation
- Features ultra-compact design with durable all-metal construction, omnidirectional lavalier microphones with locking connectors to prevent accidental unplugging and stereo mode for music recording
- Dedicated 1/8” (3.5mm) headphone output for real-time monitoring during recording (app dependent) and playback, integrated volume buttons

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
    Gain: 0-30dBu
    Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
    Bitrate: 16Bit, 24Bit
    Inputs: 2 x 1/8" (3.5mm)
    Outputs: 1 x Micro USB port, 1 x 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone jack
    Power Requirements: Supplied by iOS devices, Android devices, Windows and Mac computers
    Cables: Micro USB to Apple MFi Certified Lightning, Type-C, USB-A
    Dimension: 2.5 x 2.5 x 0.98" (6.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 cm)
    Weight: 8.82 oz (250 g)

MSRP: $349 USD

Manufacturer link:
https://saramonicusa.com/smart-v2m-portable-interface-with-2-lavalier-microphones-for-apple-lightning-iphone-ipad-android-usb-c-computers/

Here's an eBay link with the unit and 2 omni microphone combo for $99 shipped (no affiliation):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294341534467
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Saramonic Smart V2M Portable Audio Interface (similar to DPA MMA-A d:Vice)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 06:32:39 AM »
It seems broadly the same as the equivalent Rode device but comes with mics.  And it's significantly more expensive.  I wonder whether it handles stereo mics with PiP though, which is the problem with the Rode device.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Bingo!  Just received mine, thanks so much for the links.  I have not tried it out yet, but the purchase was clearly worth the money to me:

NOT at $349, for sure.  That's half the price of the DPA MMA-A, but it's clunkier (heavier and larger) and only does 48 kHz not 96 kHz.  It has 30 dB of gain, like the MMA-A (enough for DPA 4060 and 4015, but not really for DPA4081, alas).  I intend to try it out with non-DPA 1/8" TRS mics over the weekend.  But at the $99 eBay price, if that's still available...

Because the cables it comes with also seem to work fine for the MMA-A.  Micro-USB end fits neatly into the MMA-A opening.

I have confirmed a signal through the MMA-A to my iPhone through the DPA app to Metarecorder, and will try to do some live recording to make sure there are no glitches.   Since spare DPA cables run $69, everything else cost me $30 (two mics, USB-A and USB-C cables, and the device itself).

Weird way to buy a spare cable, I admit.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Four or five concert recordings with the MMA-A and the Saramonic cable works perfectly.  May even be more rugged than the DPA cable, time will tell.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
^ Great news! Glad it worked out.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Hi Jeff, curious if you've had a chance to try the Sarmonic interface itself yet.

Wondering what the sound quality is like, how much larger / heavier it is compared to MMA-A, and any other observations about it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Hi Jeff, curious if you've had a chance to try the Sarmonic interface itself yet.

Wondering what the sound quality is like, how much larger / heavier it is compared to MMA-A, and any other observations about it.

It's about 20% larger in size but almost twice as heavy.  I'll try it when I figure out what mics it will correctly power (maybe not DPAs?).  The included ones are intended for voice podcasting, not music.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
I have done some preliminary testing, I'm not sure I'll get to trying the Saramonic out in the field any time soon.  I can find no good review of the device though it has been around for almost three years now and not much noticed as far as I can see.  It was introduced almost two years after the DPA MMA-A at about half the price, aimed mostly at voice podcasters I think.  It still retails at $349 at most places but is being dumped at Focus Camera for $99, it will be interesting to see if it just disappears or has a follow-on model.  TS isn't the only place that didn't hear about it.

I accidentally left my Metarecorder set at 96 kHz CAF files, it recorded CAF but only 48 kHz, with the correct 48 kHz sized files.  It seemed to use much less battery than the MMA-A at 96 kHz, whether because of the lower sampling rate or also other power uses, anyway it looks like I might get double the almost 11 hours I get with the MMA-A at 96 kHz on an iPhone XR.  Although the Saramonic Lightning cable works fine in the MMA-A, the DPA Lightning cable is a bit too fat-ended to fit in the Saramonic.

The MMA-A is limited to max 30 dB gain, which is fine for say DPA 4060s but low for 4081s or 4061s.  The Saramonic is also limited to 30 dB, which was fine for a set of omnis from Soundman, but a bit low for some AudioTechnica cardioids I tried.  There is no app like the DPA app, you set levels with buttons on the device.  It was easy to move both channels together, but I had some difficulty with the channel balancing (long and short pushes, then long push to save).   It looks like the mic voltage is about 2.5 V on my crummy multimeter.  Works with iOs and Android (I'm looking for a good simple idiot-proof Android recorder app), also with USB-A cable to computer.

I just recorded room background, files look okay (no weird anomalies a la Tascam X8) .  I'll try to get a better read, but my impression is that it a viable device, at $349 vs the MMA-A I wouldn't touch it but at $99 a bargain.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Looks like they pulled the cheap ones. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN

^
Did you ever receive a response from them when you inquired about purchasing spare cables?  I'd still like to pick up one or two spares, at a reasonable price.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Ah, too bad. I would have picked one up at $99.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.

^
Did you ever receive a response from them when you inquired about purchasing spare cables?  I'd still like to pick up one or two spares, at a reasonable price.

No answer from them.  I might try phoning the US number, the spare parts and tech support email links got no reply.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN

^

No answer from them.  I might try phoning the US number, the spare parts and tech support email links got no reply.

^
Thanks Jeff!

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com