Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording  (Read 11632 times)

Offline tungarbulb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »
First and foremost, many thanks all of you who've responded to my original posting and the responses.

I've thought of seeking out used gear on say, Ebay. But either they're overpriced (above the original MSRP), or, well, let's just say that I've had previous experiences with Ebay that were sub-optimal.

Maybe I should give the Roland R-07 another look, if indeed they've fixed the major bugs that I mentioned earlier. Where can I find more recent reviews of it?

I've avoided Zoom products. They look like excellent devices, but they don't look that stealthy to me, especially the ones with interchangeable mics.

Lastly, just a random thought. The smartphone phenomenon has all but obliterated the market for point-and-shoot digital cameras. Might the same thing be happening with digital sound recorders? I wouldn't want to use a smartphone for serious recording. Their battery life isn't that great, and frankly I don't care for devices that rely on touchscreens. Too easy to make something happen by accident.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 12:25:07 PM »

Maybe I should give the Roland R-07 another look, if indeed they've fixed the major bugs that I mentioned earlier. Where can I find more recent reviews of it?

That is not how the internet works. There are few incentives to revisit an older product, as reviews are usually done for views/likes and advertiser revenue - there is not much of that to be gained a few years after the release of the product.

Your best bet is to read up on the long thread in this forum - start half way or 2/3 in to see what people has to say - and keep in mind that not all people that complaints have upgraded their unit.

Finally, I'd like to point out that it is a perfectly fine deck - and if you buy it and don't like it, then it is not like the end of the world, just sell it and move on to something else.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 01:21:04 PM »
Lastly, just a random thought. The smartphone phenomenon has all but obliterated the market for point-and-shoot digital cameras. Might the same thing be happening with digital sound recorders? I wouldn't want to use a smartphone for serious recording. Their battery life isn't that great, and frankly I don't care for devices that rely on touchscreens. Too easy to make something happen by accident.

Smartphone manufacturers have made their cameras way better, because they discovered it was a function that buyers really wanted.

I suppose it's possible that someday they'll also upgrade the battery life/preamps/input options/etc. of phones for the massive consumer base of live music recorders, but probably only in a far happier corner of the multiverse than this one.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 01:49:39 PM »

If you want stealthable size and okay built in mics I would recommend looking for a used Marantz PMD620 or a Tascam DR2D.

Both are relatively easy to find on resale sites like ebay or Reverb.

DR2D has good built-in mics? I had no idea. I'll give them a spin next time!
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2022, 02:57:02 PM »

Smartphone manufacturers have made their cameras way better, because they discovered it was a function that buyers really wanted.

I suppose it's possible that someday they'll also upgrade the battery life/preamps/input options/etc. of phones for the massive consumer base of live music recorders, but probably only in a far happier corner of the multiverse than this one.

Not sure I really understand this request.  I have an older iPhone XR, totally dedicated to recording.  It will record 24/96 for about 11 hours straight powering a DPA MMA-A and DPA mics.  With a wireless battery pack like the Pixy Go it will likely run 5 hours more (haven't had to use that yet). The phone, running Metarecorder, is basically a bit-bucket, but there are teeny mics and pre-amp/A/D sets like the MMA-A and the Saramonic Smart V2M that give a small package running longer than any small recorder I have used.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 04:26:03 PM »
If you have an iPhone, the Rose AI Micro and MetaRecorder app are an expensive way to get into phone recording.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 04:33:16 PM »

Not sure I really understand this request.  I have an older iPhone XR, totally dedicated to recording.  It will record 24/96 for about 11 hours straight powering a DPA MMA-A and DPA mics.  With a wireless battery pack like the Pixy Go it will likely run 5 hours more (haven't had to use that yet). The phone, running Metarecorder, is basically a bit-bucket, but there are teeny mics and pre-amp/A/D sets like the MMA-A and the Saramonic Smart V2M that give a small package running longer than any small recorder I have used.

Me? I wasn't requesting anything. Just saying that I don't expect smartphones to completely displace small recorders like they have small cameras.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2022, 02:12:24 PM »
Just saying that I don't expect smartphones to completely displace small recorders like they have small cameras.

For the average consumer, phones definitely have replaced point-and-shoot cameras.  One exception in my experience, is shooting concert videos.  With just a few exceptions (one being front row or right next to the stage), a phone camera can't match a dialed in point-and-shoot.  This is true even for something like an iPhone 13 Pro Max (which I own).  Having said that ... the relatively small group of people who shoot concert videos with a point-and-shoot are just a drop in the bucket of an already dwindling consumer base; so I don't have many hopes for the future of point-and-shoot cameras.  Sigh ...
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2022, 07:47:39 AM »
Personally I use cameras like the DJI Pocket 2 or DJI Action 2 for concert recording (typically jazz club stuff) as the stabilisation is so good coupled with horizon levelling, and the Pocket 2 can be locked onto the stage direction allowing you to move your tired hand around as you wish without screwing the picture.  And you can use them on a pole without major problems for the people behind you.  And the 4-mic surround sound is pretty good too.  For me, phones are just not the right tool for the job.  YMMV!

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2022, 03:45:56 PM »

That is not how the internet works. There are few incentives to revisit an older product, as reviews are usually done for views/likes and advertiser revenue - there is not much of that to be gained a few years after the release of the product.

Your best bet is to read up on the long thread in this forum - start half way or 2/3 in to see what people has to say - and keep in mind that not all people that complaints have upgraded their unit.

Finally, I'd like to point out that it is a perfectly fine deck - and if you buy it and don't like it, then it is not like the end of the world, just sell it and move on to something else.

He just wanted to know where he could find more good information about it. That is unequivocally one of the major purposes of the internet - seeking and getting information.

I hear the "don't like it, then sell it" saying a lot. I read his full post you replied to. That wasn't the question he even asked regarding if he didn't like this and what to do next.

PS. for tungarbulb https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=189715.0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 03:52:41 PM by DATBoy »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2022, 09:54:22 PM »

If you want stealthable size and okay built in mics I would recommend looking for a used Marantz PMD620 or a Tascam DR2D.

Both are relatively easy to find on resale sites like ebay or Reverb.

DR2D has good built-in mics? I had no idea. I'll give them a spin next time!

good is relative.  Bring mics.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2022, 03:30:37 AM »
He just wanted to know where he could find more good information about it. That is unequivocally one of the major purposes of the internet - seeking and getting information.

I hear the "don't like it, then sell it" saying a lot. I read his full post you replied to. That wasn't the question he even asked regarding if he didn't like this and what to do next.

LOL
Instead of criticising an answer you don't like (and truth be told - I think you didn't read), you could just give the answer as you thought it should have been - OP would have more input to form an opinion, and who knows, maybe I would learn a thing or two?
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2022, 04:28:23 PM »

LOL
Instead of criticising an answer you don't like (and truth be told - I think you didn't read), you could just give the answer as you thought it should have been - OP would have more input to form an opinion, and who knows, maybe I would learn a thing or two?

You're just mad at me because I helped him more with his question and you didn't.

While I don't like what you said, I understand jealousy is a very common thing in cases like yours.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 09:40:30 PM »
Er.. we don't get into that kind of negative exchange here.  Truce please...

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2022, 11:43:33 PM »
Er.. we don't get into that kind of negative exchange here.  Truce please...

he started it. He owes some apologies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com