Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonic Studios power requirements ??  (Read 408 times)

Offline Mandoborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sonic Studios power requirements ??
« on: November 22, 2023, 12:03:02 PM »
Hey folks, back with another silly question. I'm getting back into taping after a long hiatus . I've always run a stealth rig of DSM-6 mics > Sony D6. I have the PA-6 battery pack that I never noticed much difference when running that in line  or direct in so I rarely used it..... My question is, I recently bought a cheap Zoom H2N to play around with. Recorded a show the other night and it came out nice, but hardly any bass.... very 'tinny' compared to what I used to get from the D6. At first I just blamed my 'analog' ears comparing the show to what I would have pulled with the D6. I noticed the Zoom only provides 2.5 volts of power to the mics. I can't find how much the mics actually need, but is it possible that's what made this recording only so-so ? Just no enough juice ?  I'm going to try using the PA-6 next show, but it's just another piece of gear I have to get in. 99% of what I will record are not taper friendly....I'd like to use these mics as of course they are small and discreet, but more importantly I've pulled some crazy good recordings over the years using these. Maybe they just don't match the Zoom in that regard and I'm ok with that. It was a pretty cheap unit that It wouldn't bother me to have to ditch it for something else....

Thanks for all the advice I've been getting on here lately..... an old dog is learning some new tricks !!!

Jim

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sonic Studios power requirements ??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 06:00:07 PM »
Are you sure the Zoom H2N wasn't set for some LCF low cut filter?

Leonard said the Sony PCM-M10 had the perfect plug in power for his mics and i just happen to have one for sale in the yard sale if you need it.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203599.0

Offline JeySonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sonic Studios power requirements ??
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 01:44:30 AM »
The bass issue might be related to the lower voltage the Zoom H2N provides to the mics. You could try using your PA-6 preamp with it to see if it improves the bass response. If not, consider tweaking mic positioning and Zoom settings before thinking about an upgrade.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com