Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix w/Mixpad 4 & V3  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
Matrix w/Mixpad 4 & V3
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:43:17 AM »
I'll have an opportunity to run a matrix pretty soon, and wanted to see what you guys though about using the V3 at the end of the chain. the setup will be this:

Mics>Mixpad (using the mixpad's phantom power)
SBD>Mixpad

I'm planning on running both of these via the main outs on the mixpad into the XLR ins on the V3, then converting it to digital and sending the signal to the JB3.

1. What should I set the gain on the V3 for?
2. Am I an idiot for using the V3 merely as an AD?
3. What's the pre on the mixpad sound like? I've heard reports it's a bit noisy...
4. Should I just bag this and run a seperate SBD and seperate Mic recording, and matrix it in post production?

Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

cleantone

Re: Matrix w/Mixpad 4 & V3
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 11:03:35 AM »
my input:

1. What should I set the gain on the V3 for?

That gonna have to be figured out that day. Consider changing the internal jumpers for a line level signal, or just keep the gain a bit on the lower side.

2. Am I an idiot for using the V3 merely as an AD?

No not really, unless you have an AD1K, then you would be an idiot. It's an extra gain stage but the V3 is not very colored so it should be a big deal.

3. What's the pre on the mixpad sound like? I've heard reports it's a bit noisy...

With no personal experience with that piece, I can just say it's pretty low end and in this world you get what you pay for. I personally wouldn't use one but thats because I have other options. It will "do the job" for you... You want a good signal, too low=noise, too high=drive, find a nice medium in there.

4. Should I just bag this and run a seperate SBD and seperate Mic recording

Only if you can record to the same digital word clock, or feel like spending a shitload of time aligning the tracks in post. I recomend mixing it to tape.

more info for you:

You'll need the mics to be fairly close to the stage mics. If your 50' away there will be a timeing issue that will cause an echo or delay. It occurs less than 50' too, technically it occurs within the stage mics themselves. My point is to get a close to the stage as possable, onstage prefereably. Mixing live to tape in head phone during the show can be hard. Even with nice headphones your gonna be getting bleed from the room. Somethings to think about.

hexyjones

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 11:18:00 AM »
Yo cleantone!...I taped some Schleigho...crica 1996...at least 2 shows...might have another SBD they left with us...(we put them up for a few days...)

I think I have a 95 Grinch show with the Schleigho guys sitting in...that was the first time I saw them...

Its all cassette...I think at least one show I have both SBD and AUD tapes...

Give me a bit to dig it out and transfer...

Tell those guys to come back to the Pennsy mid-state...! Mercersburg says hello!

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 11:54:01 AM »
if you're patient and willing to spend the time synching in the post then I can tell you right now that that will get the best results. I've run more matrix tapes (I've used a mixpad and a ua-5 and fw 410) than anything else. The first problem is the delay. I can hear a difference when the mics get around 25-30 ft. from stage. that's a PITA to deal with.

Next is the mix. It is f-ing hard mixing right in the middle of the show, unless you got some bomb ass headphones and a headphone amp. otherwise forget it. plus usually the first song or so suffers until you get the mix right (if you get it right at all)

if you go two different recordings then you can get good levels for each source and adjust the mix in a controlled environment; you can choose if you want more board or more aud. I used to only do an onsite mix if it's a quiet band, that way I can listen on the phones. but now the fw 410 will send a seperate stereo aud and stereo board feed via firewire so I can mix in the post to my liking.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 12:09:14 PM »
Thanks guys. +T. I'll probably just run different sources and then mix em later. It'll be one of my first times out with the V3 anyway, so it'll be nice to see what that does with my mics.

Thanks again!

TB
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com