Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which mics would you preffer for metal taping?

DPA 4061
26 (76.5%)
SP-CMC-8
8 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Stealthing very loud metal shows...extended from Team EVIL  (Read 22779 times)

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Stealthing very loud metal shows...extended from Team EVIL
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 02:31:21 PM »
well, i normally say... if it isnt stealthed, it probably isnt worth taping.... i know i will get alot of shit for that, but oh well.  long live stealth taping.  the only time i used a stand i use duct tape and a camera tripod...  but hey, it turned out ok.

Watch out Karl, when the moon is full I hear if you get bitten by a w00k you end up buying a full rig and taping jambands... ;)

Offline kfrinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 02:34:44 PM »
Hahahah awesome.  Wooks know to stay the fuck away from me.  I got that nice tall, skinny shaved head + goatee look for the most part, and you know wooks dont like that, they know not to fuck with me.  the only reason i want  a mic stand, is that there are some local bands that i really dig, and they like it when i tape them.  In fact, i rn one of the bands websites for em.  but anyways, now that i have 2 sets of gear for the most part, it would be nice to run rigs from both sides of the venues etc...

+T

well, i normally say... if it isnt stealthed, it probably isnt worth taping.... i know i will get alot of shit for that, but oh well.  long live stealth taping.  the only time i used a stand i use duct tape and a camera tripod...  but hey, it turned out ok.

Watch out Karl, when the moon is full I hear if you get bitten by a w00k you end up buying a full rig and taping jambands... ;)
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »
nice over simplification on stand tapes...a bunch of bands out there that aren't jambands allow taping....and yes, I stealth and stand tape...

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 03:39:35 PM »
yes, but are you.... EVIL?

nice over simplification on stand tapes...a bunch of bands out there that aren't jambands allow taping....and yes, I stealth and stand tape...
-Karl

Offline PG

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 03:40:52 PM »

Oh I know, It just worked into the joke much better that way...

+T

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 04:10:19 PM »
yes, but are you.... EVIL?

I'm fuckin' evil- does that count?

;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 04:14:35 PM »
well, after looking at your avatar, I realize that you must be really fucking evil.... i mean, we use them to throw people off.. right?  mine is pure evil...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 04:19:18 PM by kfrinkle »
-Karl

Offline neognosis

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 04:18:46 PM »
I'm chaotic neutral.[/d&ddork]

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 10:13:47 PM »
Here's the thing....people keep telling me that if running omnis that i should be taping as close to the stacks as possible.  In my humble personal opinion, the recordings made from this sort of venue location have good sound, but are missing that live ambience that is the live sound in itself.  I ALWAYS stand FOB whether I have gear or not, I think the sound is mixed most purely in this sort of location and also you get to enjoy the throw that the venue has...which sometimes is not a plus I do admit...but it's just such a different sound.  If recording right in front of the stacks you may as well be running a SBD show, since it doesn't have that live warmth that you get FOB anyway.  I know I can really get cocky and sound like an asshole so disregard this shit if you think i'm a retard.  Thanks you evil fuckers.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
I've never made the effort to stand close to stacks when using omnis.  I always try to envision an equilateral triangle between the R and L stacks, and me at the point of the triangle.  If you stand like that, you'll get way more ambience with omnis than cards/hypers.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 12:42:43 AM »
You sure are pro omni when the majority have been giving cards a big round of applause.  So I guess it's all up to personal prefferance.  My concern is that this stupid boomy venue will continually caugh up very bassy recordings using omnis.  So I guess I don't know what to go for.  Shwilly said she uses cmc4s and loves em for metal, recommended those over the 4061s.  SOooooo...who knows.

Off topic, but my mom wants a setup for recording her singing practices, something that will make an accurate vocal reproduction.  What I was looking at was:

MXL 990 Cardiod Condensor for 69.99
Behringer Eurorack UB502 for 49.99
Looking to spend $150 or less total, need something easy to use and decent quality.  That an ok rig for this kind of usage?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 03:14:11 AM »
Ok, well what about the SP-CMC-16 mics?  These mics use Shure components.  Never hear anyone mention them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 05:00:04 AM by likwitkrazee »

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 05:03:09 AM »
Ok....so fuck running a preamp stealth for phantom power, they're too damn big.  According to the oade site the ua5 is 8.5" and that's way too big to hide anywhere else.  If the 4061s run off a small power unit I think that's probably a much more stealthy option than lugging around more gear.  It's not worth getting some mics that aren't even stealthable, if I want to hear a Claypool show I'm at I'll just score a copy of some guys Schoeps tape.  I'm only lugging my gear for stealth situations.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2004, 07:34:45 AM »
Ok....so fuck running a preamp stealth for phantom power, they're too damn big.  According to the oade site the ua5 is 8.5" and that's way too big to hide anywhere else.  If the 4061s run off a small power unit I think that's probably a much more stealthy option than lugging around more gear.  It's not worth getting some mics that aren't even stealthable, if I want to hear a Claypool show I'm at I'll just score a copy of some guys Schoeps tape.  I'm only lugging my gear for stealth situations.

phantom power will elicit better results though...  I "stealth" the UA-5 all the time- just never when I have to get it through security.  When you say that Schwill is into the CMC-4, when I've had convo's with him about this, he uses them with a phantom power source, not a battery box, so that's going to be a difference when it comes to microphone performance.

I am very pro-omni- but it's all in your personal tastes!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 07:38:06 AM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2004, 10:08:24 AM »
Ok....so fuck running a preamp stealth for phantom power, they're too damn big.  According to the oade site the ua5 is 8.5" and that's way too big to hide anywhere else.

So run an SD MP2 / MixPre / Shure FP24 pre instead.  Definitely stealthable.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com