Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-BMC-12  (Read 6567 times)

Offline gursky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: SP-BMC-12
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 07:57:13 PM »
Good timing for this thread as I am quite serious about purchasing the SP-BMC-12's.

I was hoping to run the BMC-12's through a SP-SPSB-1 battery box and into a JB3.  I have the JB3 en route but haven't bought the mic and battery box yet, still wanted to do some research.  And I do plan on stealth recording, so with the BMC-12's I was going to get the croakies and mount them to my glasses.  And I took a look at the shipping cost of the SP-BMC-12 to Canada...and yeah it's a fair bit of change for something that isn't very heavy. 

Seems that there are some mixed reviews on the BMC-12 in here.  I plan on recording anywhere from small to large venues of varying volume (small acoustic shows up to U2 and Green Day on their upcoming tours).  Would my potential rig (SP-BMC-12 > SPSB-1 > JB3) be adequate for me, or would my money be better spent on something other than the SP-BMC-12? 

Don't mean to hijack your thread Wiesel but it seemed like one that fit my question rather than starting up a new "build my setup" thread.  Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 08:34:16 AM »
Here is a comparison between the Sony ECM-717 and a pair of SP-BMC-12.
http://www.mdfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13893
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 07:46:29 AM »
omni's..ick! thats all I can say I've owned 3 pairs (csb's, at943o's, and dpa 4061's) unless you are stack recording they are worthless in rock concert situations all you do is record the bass of the room then you come home and spend half the time eq'ing. cards,cards,cards.

Offline gursky

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 11:00:02 AM »
Here is a comparison between the Sony ECM-717 and a pair of SP-BMC-12.
http://www.mdfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13893
Thanks for the link...very interesting.  A little difficult to judge as it was done on a CD, so how they perform in a live environment may be quite different.  I own a Sony ECM-719 that I have been using for a year with moderate results but was hoping to improve my recording by upgrading my microphone.

omni's..ick! thats all I can say I've owned 3 pairs (csb's, at943o's, and dpa 4061's) unless you are stack recording they are worthless in rock concert situations all you do is record the bass of the room then you come home and spend half the time eq'ing. cards,cards,cards.
With a bass rolloff option on a battery box then would that still be true of omni's picking up more bass then wanted? 

Hmm, since I already own an omni in the ECM-719 maybe I should try my hand with a binaural mic.  Looking on the SP website some of the options that interested me were: CMC-2A ($129), CMC-2 ($159), CMC-20 ($99).  I guess I'll have to look into some options there.  I don't want to go too expensive, so the CMC-20 fits my budget, but then you can argue and say "Why not spend the extra $60 and get the CMC-2?" ...

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 01:08:37 PM »
Hmm, since I already own an omni in the ECM-719 maybe I should try my hand with a binaural mic.

Binaural is not a type of mic, but a recording technique.
A binaural recording is made with a pair of omnis.

The ECM-719 consists of 2 cardioid capsules mounted in XY.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:17:43 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline gursky

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 02:08:27 PM »
Yeah...I was hoping to edit my post after I had made that post.  Didn't realize my mistake until I was well on my way to work, looks like you beat me to it :)

I did not know that...so would there still be a benefit of going with a SP-CMC-## microphone to achieve a better recording or would the ECM-719 still do the job well?  If I do purchase a SP-CMC microphone I decided I will go with the CMC-2, and from searching on here it seems like that is a good microphone to have.  But I don't want to spend the money on the CMC-2 if it wouldn't be far superior to the ECM-719.

EDIT: I priced out a CMC-2 and SPSB-1, and all said and done with be just under $280USD...was pretty close to buying it then and there but thought to do some more looking around for info on the CMC-2 (pros/cons/etc.).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:22:10 PM by gursky »

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 12:15:47 PM »
What do you think of the SP-BMC-12? Does anyone have some experience with these?

For those who are interested, I posted a sample of the SP-BMC-12 here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=48821.0

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 10:42:35 PM »
Just to let you know the mics do go to 40k its not a number I just guessed at its the speck from the company that makes them.
PS... the company that I am using for these mics is Primo and its the EM-123 OR EM125 omni capsule rated at 120db with a usable range of 40k
I do not bullshit in my advertising.

Chris Church

hmm I don't like the sony mics...

Why not? For a budget mic, and right now thats what you're after, they produce a nice sound.

and the church audio mics don't make a serious impression to me. (An ebay page where every sentence is written in another color and the mic frequency responce is abvertised with 20 Hz to 40 kHz can't be very serious, or what do you think?)

Hmm 40 kHz..doesnt sound right. All I can go on is one recording (Rich Robinson @ Glasgow) I've heard that was really very nice sounding.

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 01:34:59 AM »
Yeah...I was hoping to edit my post after I had made that post.  Didn't realize my mistake until I was well on my way to work, looks like you beat me to it :)

I did not know that...so would there still be a benefit of going with a SP-CMC-## microphone to achieve a better recording or would the ECM-719 still do the job well?  If I do purchase a SP-CMC microphone I decided I will go with the CMC-2, and from searching on here it seems like that is a good microphone to have.  But I don't want to spend the money on the CMC-2 if it wouldn't be far superior to the ECM-719.

EDIT: I priced out a CMC-2 and SPSB-1, and all said and done with be just under $280USD...was pretty close to buying it then and there but thought to do some more looking around for info on the CMC-2 (pros/cons/etc.).

The ECM-719 is cardioid, but the capsules are close together.  Used this and it is decent, but You Get What You Pay For...and with that said, spend the extra dollars and go w/ CMC-2 ( I run this now )

The CMC-2 are two seperate mics, which allows you to space them further apart (as opposed to the fixed spacing with the ECM-719)

Spacing may not seem like a big deal to you now, but it makes all the difference. i.e. degrees mics are apart 90 or 110/17 cm - 20 cm in between/etc.

Read on Mic Spacing and set ups here:

http://www.shure.com/pdf/userguides/guides_accessories/a27m.pdf
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com