Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so what does the 722 sound like?  (Read 49853 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: so what does the 722 sound like?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2005, 07:53:22 PM »
track A has slightly tighter bass which seems more even in the mix
track B the bass is more accentuated and marginally not as tight

something in track B is fatiguing but can't pin point it
in track A, the vocals seemed a bit more forward

I'm not really sensing a midband dip in sample B, the HF seems pretty even between the two but B seems to have more presence when the sound is mostly crowd.  Maybe that coupled with the LF accentuation could be considered a "smiley" curve?

Overall, track A sounds a bit better to me.  Disclaimer, I have maybe 15 hours on these new speakers and I do not have them dialed in wrt placement.  I may have to switch back to the thiels and compare notes again since I have 1000s of hours listening to those.

Scott, is it possible for you to put out more tracks of the comparison?  There are some things that I listen for when comparing recordings and that one track didn't have all of what I was after. 

I would really be interested in hearing the straight V3 vs 722 carbonleaf comp if that is available because I am very familiar with the v3 and have only one other sample of the mytech

Sarcastic aside: I'm sure all these subtle differences can be attributed to the axial vs radial egress of the mic cable.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2005, 08:33:15 PM »
i have another track of the straight 722 source.  i can upload that and the track from mine too.  it's actually the track right after the one i already put up.  "not logged in" sent both as 1 file

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2005, 10:28:19 PM »
uploaded the next track to the server

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2005, 12:12:05 AM »
I used Foobar's ABX plugin to compare the two files (BHTM - Bittersweet) to see if I could distinguish a difference. I did 25 trials to at least give myself a big enough sample to base a judgment upon and was able to distinguish about 90% of the time. I was listening on PC > coax out > ULN-2 > Sennheiser HD-600.

Since I could tell a difference, I will say A has the "bigger" low end and sounds more musical. B sounds more detailed and flatter across the range and I'm guessing it sounds more like it did in the venue.

Based on those observations and what I've heard from 3rd parties, I will guess A is the 722 and B is the V3>Mytek. On this particular recording, I like A better.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2005, 12:19:50 AM »
EDIT again: i'm sure the metering issue becomes easier to deal with once you've run the box a few times and get a feel for how it runs.

It is a little annoying, but the red lights on the left hit at -3 dB and you can program where the 0 indictaor actually lights (so you could set it at -1 dBFS and teach yourself to just barely pop that light). Another thing you could do is use the limiter and keep everything to -6 and below. Upon immediate review, the metering on the ULN-2 is better.

(For reference, the ULN-2 has -54, -42, -30, -18, -12, -9, -6, -3, -1, clip ...   -12 and below are green, -1 through -9 are orange, and clip is red and has a temporary hold of a few seconds. I prefer this to the V3's metering, except I like the clip reset function on the V3.)

Offline scb

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »

Since I could tell a difference, I will say A has the "bigger" low end and sounds more musical. B sounds more detailed and flatter across the range and I'm guessing it sounds more like it did in the venue.

i think "b" has bigger low end.  you sure you meant a? :)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2005, 12:30:53 AM »
Don't mess with me! I said what I said. Maybe it's my use of "bigger" in this context that's confusing? Maybe "warmer" is mroe of what I should have been going for, and I should have directed that adjective at the lower midrange (bass fundamentals) rather than low end (implying kick drum attacks).

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2005, 08:55:21 AM »
i found the 722 to be very laid back and musical, with a big, rounded bottom end.

I totally agree with you on the bottom end. Big and rounded is what I hear too.

that sounds like maybe a sound devices characteristic.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2005, 09:11:06 AM »
so I borrowed Tims 722 and ran it last night at Big Head Todd...no real comments on sound yet as I have not had a chance to do more than a cursory listen, but one thing I thought was interesting, I had his 722, in the portabrace bag made for it, in my mountainsmith bag on the floor next to the stand, and between the bass thumping and the people dancing, the floor was definitely bouncing.  I was a little concerned with the 722 being a HD that the vibration may affect it.  Having not listened to it, only watching it, it didnt seem to hiccup at all.  Will report more when I listen...

Also, the portrabrace bag is sweet, expensive, but basically it suspends the unit in the bag, and fits the huge battery.  Due to the fact that it suspended the whole unit up, I was able to run it vertically, since the back of the unit was even, vs. when the big ass battery is the back...

Offline Tim

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »
nice, I didn't know that portabrace had made a bag for these boxes... very cool, they make some quality stuff.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2005, 12:47:42 PM »
note that portabrace makes 2 accessory bags that can attach to the CS-7 SD 722/744 bag - the RM-Multi and the larger RM-Deluxe. I have the multi, which has a larger pocket with a clear front that fits a V3 and Wal-mart battery quite nicely (and has a zippered opening in the back for routing cables), and a smaller pocket that you can put small cables, Etymotic headphones etc. in.

Steve

Offline Tim

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »
you could roll with some actives and a 722 in just a portabrace bag

:drool:

almost makes me want to tape again...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2005, 12:52:49 PM »
I went out with Tims last night having told my wife that I really didnt need the 722 so dont worry about me pulling any trigger...as I walked to the club though, with this light ass bag on my shoulder, I began to rethink that decision...I am hoping it sounds like shit when I listen to it tonight...because I have a feeling if I buy one of these, and the JK Labs system in the next month, that will be grounds for divorce :P

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2005, 12:53:54 PM »
I went out with Tims last night having told my wife that I really didnt need the 722 so dont worry about me pulling any trigger...as I walked to the club though, with this light ass bag on my shoulder, I began to rethink that decision...I am hoping it sounds like shit when I listen to it tonight...because I have a feeling if I buy one of these, and the JK Labs system in the next month, that will be grounds for divorce :P

don't you have gear you could sell to finance the 722 and then convince her that the since you no longer have the cost of media, it would make up for the difference?

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2005, 12:55:22 PM »

almost makes me want to tape again...

you're done, you just haven't admitted it to yourself yet ::)

new comps are up at tapers.org  file is morecomparisons   tracks sre next songs of concert
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.173 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com