Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: word clock/sync question  (Read 1740 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
word clock/sync question
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:31:15 PM »
I've gotten into a discussion with a friend over whether or not a multichannel recorder (i.e. 744t) needs to be word clock linked with a V3 if you are using the 744t as the pre/adc for two channels and the v3 as the pre/adc for the other 2 channels.  Seems to me that with two separate adc's in the mix, you're going to need to sync the two as master/slave in order to have proper results. 

It just seems that there has to be some latency variables with different chipsets...

Help?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
Re: word clock/sync question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 02:34:12 PM »
technically, you should sync the word clocks, however, if you have had success so far without syncing...

in my multitrack work, 1 of my interfaces requires the word clock sync while the other doesnt. ymmv.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: word clock/sync question
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 04:00:03 PM »
Yes, you're going to have to sync the word clocks in this case.  Assuming that the 744 is bit-transparent and does not reclock the incoming digital data, anyway, which I think is the case.  From what I understand of the R4, you would not have to sync the word clocks in the case of using the R4 as you described, since the R4 reclocks the incoming digital data.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com