Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Isolation Revelations...  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Isolation Revelations...
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:02:36 PM »
So, I was considering trying to upgrade the sound of my CD player(Rotel RCD-951) by purchasing an external DAC, something like the Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3.  Got to talking to some audio guys, found out that essentially the Sony transport in the Rotel player is not going to cut the mustard if you really want to get the full benefit out of a good quality DAC. 

The next phase then, was to consider a new all in one player.  A dealer suggested that the Rotel player is actually quite excellent sounding on it's own, so go large if you're considering doing an upgrade.  This led me to the Arcam FMJ CD23T which incorporates a scaled down version of the DCS Ring DAC which is apparently the best thing since sliced bread.  Even at dealer cost however, this was a fairly pricy proposition.  Found a used player that I missed out on which put the brakes on that idea. 

Now then, I came to the conclusion that rather than dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new player that I should consider tweaking my current player to try and get that edge that I was looking for.  The concept of isolation is a rediculously convoluted one when you get to reading about it, everything from very solid and heavy platforms, to rubbery ones(sorbothane), to very light but rigid platforms and cones, to boxes filled with sand or bicycle tubes and the list goes on and on...  Many of these cost hundreds of dollars and each product  claims to be the best thing since sliced bread.  So, I was just about to go out and spend some dough on either a platform or some new high tech feet for my player when I came across some interesting info about people trying out different types of stone to isolate a source unit from vibrations. 

Apparently, marble has a ring to it and resonates in and of itself, but granite does so even less and it was suggested that slate was a superior material because it is relatively light and stiff while at the same time being more acoustically dead than many other materials. 

So then, I happened to have a bunch of pieces of 1/2" rainbow slate in my garage leftover from a couple years back.  I grabbed three pieces approximately 5" X 10", with the intent to place one under the left side of the player, one under the right and one directly above the transport.  Grabbed a disc that I would consider a good reference, Dire Straits "On Every Street" as well as my girlfriend so that she could help to determine wether I was nuts or not when I tried this out.  As it turned out, when the slate was added above and below the player, this made WAY more than just a noticable difference, as my lovely assistant was able to confirm for me.  Huge increase in detail, much better imaging and soundstage overall, even a noticed increase in overall punchiness volume wise.  You would sware that you just swapped players out for one costing at least twice the relative cost of the Rotel.  Next we tried some cork discs that we had lying around which made the player sound completely soft and mushy...

I then immediately ran out to the garage to get some more slate to toss under the turntable(Rega P3) which showed a much more subtle difference, but slightly better imaging all the same.  This is not to say that this method will work for every person in every room, but the point is that you can dramatically affect the performance of your source units with a bit of playing around.  Needless to say, I'll be keeping the Rotel in line for awile longer...

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Isolation Revelations...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 05:12:42 PM »
did you perform the tests blind?  (i.e. without your knowing whether the slate was in or out?) --

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 05:17:03 PM »
could you get the lady to switch the bases while you are not looking to see if you can tell which is which blind? Maybe keep the whole shebang covered with a cloth so you can't see what is going on.

Might be a more objective test that way. I agree that the whole area of audio component isolation seems really crazy, people explain the way their products work in all kinds of different ways that seem like voodoo magic to me. Never really looked into it, but interesting to hear your thoughts.

+t for sharing.

Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:22:57 PM »
would you mind snapping a photo of what you did, if possible?  As you stated, I find info on this to be quite convoluted as well  +t
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 05:32:34 PM »
I could be blind and drunk and easily tell the difference between each.  I understand what you are getting at in terms of being more objective about the changes, but this was literally like night and day.  Each cd that I now put in which I would consider to be a reference recording, something I have heard 100 times before has literally come alive in a way that is without question a more articulate presentation than ever before.  I'm listening to Tom Petty's Wildflowers right now and the imaging is stunning in comparison to any other of the tens of times that I have heard this disc before...

I'll try and snap a pic, but it might take awhile...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 05:45:17 PM »
How heavy is the slate?

I would like to know if you hear a difference between just the top piece and just the lower pieces compared to the whole thing.  I ask because I noticed a small improvement in imageing when I put a 10lb steel plate on top of my CDP.  So I wonder is it isolation from the shelve or the weight on the chassis that is giving the most effect - or equal parts influence.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »
I could be blind and drunk and easily tell the difference between each.  I understand what you are getting at in terms of being more objective about the changes, but this was literally like night and day.  Each cd that I now put in which I would consider to be a reference recording, something I have heard 100 times before has literally come alive in a way that is without question a more articulate presentation than ever before.  I'm listening to Tom Petty's Wildflowers right now and the imaging is stunning in comparison to any other of the tens of times that I have heard this disc before...

I'll try and snap a pic, but it might take awhile...

cant get that camera out of tash's hands huh? ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 04:52:13 PM »

cant get that camera out of tash's hands huh? ;)

Is that Peter?
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 05:24:30 PM »
Was your girlfriend sitting in your lap for the test with the slate?  ;)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 08:32:03 AM »
so like he said above - info on this is a little sparse or diluted - are we basically talking about just putting something relatively heavy on the cdp/dvd player to stop excessive shaking?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 10:23:53 AM »
Bag of lead shot works on top.  For a cheap place to get granite, marble, etc, look up the local stone architechts that do the cutting.  Then, visit their dumpster or discard pile.  I am going to try this today, as I just found one in the phonebook. 

D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 10:28:46 AM »
Bag of lead shot works on top.  For a cheap place to get granite, marble, etc, look up the local stone architechts that do the cutting.  Then, visit their dumpster or discard pile.  I am going to try this today, as I just found one in the phonebook. 

D

are you gonna change your screen name to Dumpster Diver now?? ;)

BobW

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 04:18:03 PM »

D

are you gonna change your screen name to Dumpster Diver now?? ;)

Spoken like a man who has never farmed curly-tailed bovines    ;D

When I was upstate, I used to love to park on the side of the Shop-Riteous while the wife went shopping.
All of the local small-scale pig farmers would nab the veggie outcasts from the dumpster.
I used to rate the depth of the dive on a score of 1 to 10.

I didn't have the heart to take pictures of them, but I thought about it.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:24:06 PM by Lower-Powered »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 09:50:48 PM »
Now That's some funny shit.  I scored 10 pieces of marble, and five pieces of granite from the back.  I just asked if I could have them and they said sure.  Anyone know how to cut and sand rock ;)
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com