Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap and compact... AT853 as your only mics....  (Read 27042 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Cheap and compact... AT853 as your only mics....
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2005, 09:19:39 AM »
Yesterday I built my first battery box. No roll off because I only had 2,2 uF capacitors at home, but they were electrolytic capacitors. Will they work?

I know tantalum capacitors works better with audio applications. Anyway I'm gonna buy some tantalum capacitors, desolder the electrolytic ones and solder the tantalum ones again.

I used 1% 10k resistors instead of 22k or 27k

Did it work for you?  Note; do *not* use tantalum for audio.  Electrolytics are actually OK (watch the polarity), but you probably want polyester or metal film.  At least that is what the 'golden ear' people say :)

Richard

Well, I think it worked, but it was strange becasue between the resistor I measured different voltages. Aprox 2 V in one and 1,75 V in other. Both resistors are 10kohm 1%, so I don't know what can cause this difference between the two voltages.

At this point, I think i'm powering the channels different. I mean, I'm powering one channel with 2 volts (0.2 mA aprox) and the other one with 1,75 V (0.175 mA aprox).

That is close enough, just make sure they sound OK.  Try them out at a loud concert.  The mics can have different current draws (different FETs in the mics).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2005, 10:05:01 AM »
Yesterday I built my first battery box. No roll off because I only had 2,2 uF capacitors at home, but they were electrolytic capacitors. Will they work?

I know tantalum capacitors works better with audio applications. Anyway I'm gonna buy some tantalum capacitors, desolder the electrolytic ones and solder the tantalum ones again.

I used 1% 10k resistors instead of 22k or 27k

Did it work for you?  Note; do *not* use tantalum for audio.  Electrolytics are actually OK (watch the polarity), but you probably want polyester or metal film.  At least that is what the 'golden ear' people say :)

Richard

Well, I think it worked, but it was strange becasue between the resistor I measured different voltages. Aprox 2 V in one and 1,75 V in other. Both resistors are 10kohm 1%, so I don't know what can cause this difference between the two voltages.

At this point, I think i'm powering the channels different. I mean, I'm powering one channel with 2 volts (0.2 mA aprox) and the other one with 1,75 V (0.175 mA aprox).

That is close enough, just make sure they sound OK.  Try them out at a loud concert.  The mics can have different current draws (different FETs in the mics).

Richard

Well, anyway, today I'm gonna buy some metal film capacitors and some gold 1/8'' jack plugs (male and female) and some good cable. Quality does matter. I really don't want crappy noises from the Battery Box because of the cables or/and plugs.

I'll let you know as soon as I 've build the second battery box prototype.

Thanks for the info and the effort.
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2005, 03:51:01 AM »
Here are the photos from my brand new homemade battery box customiced for MZ N707 Sony MD recorder

haven't tried it yet on live recording. I made it yesterday night.
Actual Gear:

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2005, 04:56:16 PM »
nice work lord
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2005, 04:03:35 AM »
nice work lord

Thanks dude!

Now I'm working in a selectable bass roll-off and a PCB design for the battery box. :D
Actual Gear:

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2005, 06:41:24 AM »
did you seen mine, with no bass roll off
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=38094.0

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2005, 08:01:34 AM »
did you seen mine, with no bass roll off
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=38094.0

Yes I saw the topic some days ago, but I did not remember that you were the builder  ???

Nice BB.
Actual Gear:

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2005, 06:21:48 AM »
hi guys,
I'm quite a newbie of the taping world but I would like to start to make my own recordings

I willprobably buy new/used AT853 or AT933/943 mics and run them with a JB3

the problem is the battery box. I've seen you're realizing 9v 3 wire battery boxes for your equipments...my question is: would one of them succesfully replace a Sound Pro SP-SPSB-6 box with bass rolloff option? if yes...is it possible that some of you can realize one for me? I know it can seem bad to ask other people to do a thing for you and you should think "hey guy...do it by yourself!"...but I'm not an expert of electronic parts at all  ??? so...can someone give me precise infos of what I would precisely need to correctly supply mics and if I would still need a bass rolloff option with a 3 wire homemade batterybox? thanks in advance ;)
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2005, 03:31:48 AM »
hi guys,
I'm quite a newbie of the taping world but I would like to start to make my own recordings

I willprobably buy new/used AT853 or AT933/943 mics and run them with a JB3

the problem is the battery box. I've seen you're realizing 9v 3 wire battery boxes for your equipments...my question is: would one of them succesfully replace a Sound Pro SP-SPSB-6 box with bass rolloff option? if yes...is it possible that some of you can realize one for me? I know it can seem bad to ask other people to do a thing for you and you should think "hey guy...do it by yourself!"...but I'm not an expert of electronic parts at all  ??? so...can someone give me precise infos of what I would precisely need to correctly supply mics and if I would still need a bass rolloff option with a 3 wire homemade batterybox? thanks in advance ;)

Hi!

If you're gonna run AT853 or AT933/943 a battery box should be enough. No need to do a 3-wire battery box. That would make you cut down the wires of the mini plug termination of your mics, and, if you're not an electronics mid or advanced user... better don't do it!

I'm running AT853 with SP-SPSB-1 with selectable bass rolloff and I'm quite happy with my recordings. Those mics can handle the most louder shows. I build myself a battery box but haven't used it yet. guess I need to build a new one because the miniplug connector in the end of my battery box does not fit with the miniplug connector (female) on my minidisc (my belowed extra gear).

Actual Gear:

Offline thunderbroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2005, 08:11:28 PM »
I finally got around to making this.  It turned out well, but I was quite suprised about the volume drop.  I think that you said about a 6db decrease, but I think it is a little more with this box.

Thanks for the help on this one.  If I can put this one together, any of you can build it!

I'll be getting a digital camera soon, so I'll put up some pics soon.

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2005, 08:29:44 PM »
you mean a 3 wire box?

Offline thunderbroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2005, 09:07:44 PM »
Yes, the three wire box.

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »
will the dynamics increased with a 3 wire box?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2005, 12:19:07 AM »
I finally got around to making this.  It turned out well, but I was quite suprised about the volume drop.  I think that you said about a 6db decrease, but I think it is a little more with this box.

Thanks for the help on this one.  If I can put this one together, any of you can build it!

I'll be getting a digital camera soon, so I'll put up some pics soon.

Yeah, I never thought too much about the volume drop.  This might be a problem for NJB3 or other users, who are trying to go line in.

If you've got a preamp though, this will sound great.  I'm using this wiring into an Edirol UA5 and a Sony HiMD (mic in, low sens).  Results are great.

Oh yeah, this is not recommended unless you're familiar with some basic electronics.  Not much, but some knowledge is needed.  Like making cables, it is simple, but it takes some practice to make nice connections, get the wiring right, etc.  It is rewarding though :).  Some sense of satisfaction, and better than paying $50 or more...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2005, 05:24:16 AM »

Yeah, I agree recorded my first gigs with the 12V 3 Wire Bat Box this weekend, I've found about a 12db decrease. Certainly surprised me quite what a decrease, however as I had significant tinnitus the following day despite wearing earplugs I'm sure the mics would have previously distorted significantly with the 2 wire box from SP.
I think my next step is too rethink my design and make it interchangeable 2 or 3 wire powering.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com