Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110619 times)

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 02:50:07 AM »
Hello again:

At first glance, I gotta say that I think I found my new favorite recorder. Here are some brief observations:

-The menu structure is the easiest I have ever used. I have not even cracked the manual and got through everything easily.
-The unit boots up in 3 seconds and is ready to record! 3 seconds!
-The meters are amazingly fast.....very responsive......puts the MT2496 to shame.
-The screen is small, but very easy to read and easy on the eyes.
-After a quick listen, it seems like the mic preamp is much improved over the R-1......I will check this more carefully this weekend.
-The firmware works.......take note M-Audio

I am doing a time test with 2500mAh batteries this weekend to check battery life. We are going to offer a battery pack to go with it which should triple the battery run time.....more on this later after the test. In the works is a Phantom power module with XLR inputs to mate with this.....stay tuned.

I'll post more later

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals

BIG +T, Chris.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing more about this recorder.

Any idea when you'll get your next shipment in? (Sorry to ask in here, I'm just getting a bit giddy for the R-09 and I figure you might check this thread before the holiday weekend is over.)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
Sweet, Now someone try a 4GB SD in this thing!
Retired Taper

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »
Sweet, Now someone try a 4GB SD in this thing!

That was my next thought.  ;D  +T

The only thing that makes me iffy about 4GB SD cards for this is that I have yet to find a more "brand name" (Kingston or SanDisk) SD card over 2GB. All I've seen thus far in the 4GB size is brands like Transend, A-Data, and maybe another couple.

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
Hello:

Roland tells me the next shipment will be in about 2 weeks. They are going to try to give us whatever we need to fill the preorders we have in the system at that time (right now, it's about 25, but I am sure it will grow by then). My rep seems somewhat confident that he can meet our needs at that time. Here's hoping!

PS. ....I hate to say it, but I think this may be the recorder that finally kills MD (as long as memory prices keep falling, that is). Once we have the phantom adapter ready, I will never use the MT2496 again.....

I'm in love :-)

Chris

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
Hi again:

I thought you all would find this interesting:

I told our Roland rep about this site and he has been watching the posts. Here is the latest on the 4gb issue:

"Hi Chris,

I have seen a lot of post on the site your mentioned asking about 4GB 
or larger cards for the R-09.

Here's where we are at:

Currently the SD directory regulation limits the SD card capacity to 
2GB. Some card manufacturers have bypassed the standard to make 4GB 
cards with mixed results.

There is a new, expanded regulation being tested by the SD Card 
Association ( SDHC ) that will allow 4GB and larger cards. Only 
Panasonic has released an SD card in the SDHC card format. It is 
being tested.

When the new standard is finalized, and more manufacturers begin to 
release these cards, Edirol will test these. If acceptable, we will 
update the R-09 be fully compatible with the larger card format. If 
it looks like data errors or other issues could occur, we will not.

Also, since audio requires data to be streamed at a constant rate, 
stay away from the UltraFast burst cards. The less expensive slower 
ones are reliable. The UltraFast ones might create issues."

.......it sounds like Roland it on top of this.....more to come...

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
So what kind of brands are recommended (perhaps guide me to a .. uhm guide)? Thanks for all the info :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 09:19:34 PM »
Chris - another BIG +T to you. Thanks ever so much for keeping us updated during the holiday weekend. I will likely pre-order an R-09 from Sound Professionals on Tuesday then.  8)

ballerusk - take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, i.e. since I do not have an R-09, I am not certain. Having said that disclaimer, Edirol/Roland site lists "acceptable" and recommended CF cards for the R-1... I would *think* similar brand SD cards would be the ones that work well with the R-09, i.e. Kingston / Kingston Elite Pro, the 'slow'/normal SanDisk, etc. I know people like to have faster memory cards, but I never had any problems with my 'low grade/speed' SanDisk CF card in my R-1. I would imagine the situation with the R-09 would be similar.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 10:11:07 PM »
On pocket pc recording with SD, the brands that I know that work are:

Sandisk regular (blue label) 1gb and 2gb.
Patriot Memory Systems up to 2gb.

Recently we have tested the Transcend 4gb (150x) with excellent results.
Transcend offers a utility you can run which fixes the aforementioned 2gb issue on their chip.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline eskin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 10:30:45 PM »
I picked up the first two R-09 units that arrived here in San Diego this afternoon, been doing some test recordings. So far so good...

I noticed that there is a new 1.03 firmware release dated 5/25/06 on the Edirol site, both my units shipped with 1.02 installed:

http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09/

Click on "Downloads"

Release notes say something about increased compatibility with SD cards.

I found it nearly impossible to get to the actual download file, both FireFox and IE want to see it as a text file, so I had to grab it with an FTP client at the following location using an anonymous login:

ftp.roland.co.jp

with the update in the directory:
downloads/dl_06-11381

and the file:
DMZ15.UPD

The docs are in the directory:

downloads/en/dl_06-11381

Here is the readme for the update:

The R-09 System Program
 This system program is used to update the R-09 to the most recent version.

Changes [Version 1.02 -> Version 1.03]
 * Improved the access method to the SD memory card to support more varieties of SD memory cards.
 * Improved operational stability when running in high temperature environments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Items required for the R-09 update
 The following items are required to update the R-09 system program.
 * R-09 unit
 * R-09 USB cable (supplied with the unit)
 * Supported SD memory card (recommend using the SD memory card supplied with the R-09)

Note: The memory card must be formatted on the R-09 and have at least 2 MB free.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check the version
 Before downloading, check the R-09 version.
 Turn power off to the R-09 unit.

Turn power on to the R-09 unit again and check the left part of the screen during startup for the version number.

Note: If the version is the most recent, there is no need for the update.
Update cautions (important)
 Do not use this system program in products other than the R-09. Using the improper system program may damage the data or system.
Note: Use the supplied AC adapter for the update. Do not use batteries for the power supply during the update.
Update procedure
The update procedure is described below.
 Note: Do not turn off power to the R-09 unit until the update is completed.
 Note: Settings such as the display contrast and recording format are initialized during the update. We recommend copying down important settings before beginning.

Turn power off to the R-09.

Insert the SD memory card in the R-09.

Turn power on to the R-09 unit.

Connect the R-09 to the computer with the USB cable.
-> The R-09 is detected by the computer.

Copy the DMZ15.UPD file (already extracted) to the R-09 root directory.

Disconnect the R-09 from the computer in the following manner. [Safely disconnecting the R-09]

When using Windows
Disconnect the connection with the R-09 using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon located in the taskbar in the lower right part of the screen. Disconnect the USB cable connecting the R-09 and the computer.

When using Macintosh
After dragging the R-09 compact flash icon to the trash can, disconnect the cable connecting the R-09 to the computer.

Turn power off to the R-09.

Turn power on while pressing the [REC] button.

When the R-09 detects the update, the following screen is shown.

In the place where "PROG: 1.02" is shown, the current version of R-09 being used is displayed.

Note: The numbers to the right of "BOOT:" or "UPDT:" do not need to be checked.

Note: "-- no card--" or "--no update file--" may be temporarily displayed until the screen described above appears. This is not a malfunction.

If "PROG: 1.03" is already displayed, there is no need to update. Press the [POWER] button to turn off power.

If the SD memory card cannot be detected, "-- no card--" is displayed; if the update cannot be found on the SD memory card, "--no update file--" is displayed. If this occurs, turn off power, return to the previous procedure, and check the SD memory card and update data.

Press the [REC Button].
 -> The following is displayed and the update process continues automatically.

The update takes about 30 seconds.
[Caution]
While the above is displayed, do not turn off power to the R-09 or remove the SD memory card.

When the update completes, the following is shown.

Press the [POWER] button to turn off power.

This completes the update process. The new system program will run from the next startup.

Review how to check the version, and then verify that the version was updated.

After verifying the version has been updated, either reconnect the R-09 to a computer and delete DMZ15.UPD from the R-09 root directory or format the SD memory card on the R-09.

I had no problem with the upgrade procedure...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 11:11:03 PM by eskin »

Offline eskin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »
I'm currently testing continuous record time with a new set of alkalines, would be curious to know what sort of time others are getting with both alkaline and NiMH. The docs say 4 hours with new alkalines, it will be interesting to see how it does on 2500 mAh NiMH batteries.

Offline eskin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 11:02:20 PM »
Also, for a case, the Body Glove Neoprene Mesh Cellsuit - Smartphone generic case works perfectly, gives access to the front controls and display through a clear cover, and the side power and level buttons are still accessable through the mesh:

http://www.bodyglove.com/products/product_buy.php?uselist=showcase&selected_prod=http%3A%2F%2Fbodyglove.mwrc.net%2Fxml%2Fen%2Fproduct.xml%3Fproduct_id%3D9180%26include_offline_products%3Dyes%26include_offline_retailers%3Dyes

I found mine at BestBuy for about $20.00

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 11:18:13 PM »
This is all good news... this unit is looking more and more promising!

Offline eskin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 11:28:57 PM »
Must say, when you first pick it up, its a bit of a surprise, as it weighs nothing. The build quality is quite good, but until you put some batteries in it to give it some heft, it feels like a block of styrofoam.

The display is incredibly good, meters quite quick. I particularly like the big red flashing record standby button, which goes solid red when recording.

Tested with a bunch of small plug-in-power Sony mikes I had from various MD players (ECM-DS70P, ECM-717, and the T-mike from the MicroTrack), the internal mikes on the R-09 sounded best, but the ECM-717 was nearly identical. The ECM-DS70P and the T-mike from the MicroTrack sounded fine, but a bit harse on the treble side. I'll probably toss the ECM-717 in the case to use when I want an external mike.

I haven't tried the line-in on the unit, and I was planning on selling my hardly used MicroTrack, but the R-09 is sort of in a class of its own, doesn't have balanced inputs, only support plug-in-power stereo mikes, I can see the appeal of having both in my recording arsenal, even if I'll use the R-09 most of the time.

I'm testing with a SanDisk 1 GB Ultra II SD card from Costco, seems fine.

Update: Currently at about 3.5 hours on the first set of AA alkalines, shows more than 1/2 of the battery left, so the record time looks very promising. I hope the NiMH times are similar. Will do some tests tomorrow.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:58:52 AM by eskin »

Offline Myran

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 05:19:28 AM »
This sounds almost to good.  :)

Soundpro's Roland rep said:
When the new standard is finalized, and more manufacturers begin to 
release these cards, Edirol will test these. If acceptable, we will 
update the R-09 be fully compatible with the larger card format. If 
it looks like data errors or other issues could occur, we will not.

Dose this mean that no hardware modification is needed to run SDHC?

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 05:36:22 AM »
Thanks for all the help on SD-cards. Found this from a local retailer: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1853)-SDSDPH-2048-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_2GB.aspx which looks fairly good.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com