Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp gain vr. iriver gain  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Gawain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Preamp gain vr. iriver gain
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:55:55 AM »
I'm wondering what will give better results: add gain in a preamp (I have one from Mic Madness) and just control it a bit in the iriver or do it opposite adding gain on the iriver and ignoring the preamp...or just half and half?...any help? thanks  :)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Preamp gain vr. iriver gain
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 05:32:45 AM »
I can't speak for Mic Madness.... But I run my Sonic Studios PA-3SX and never run the gain in the iRiver.  I always seem to get close to perfect levels with the combo and just normalize if need be once I get home.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Gawain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Preamp gain vr. iriver gain
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 07:51:56 AM »
thanks for the input, china_rider  :) I've ran some tests and it seems the best is touch as less as I can the gain in the iriver. Anyway I don't want to run too much gain in the preamp, I get a bit of distortion (even with not too loud sounds). The best results I've got so far is going something more than half way in the preamp gain and add a bit more in the iriver to can control it on the fly and stealthy.
Anyway I know the best is make my own tests and learn how to controle it, but some similar experiences will point me in the right direction before I screw up any upcoming important recording...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com