Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So how DO $45/pair omnis sound?  (Read 23164 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: So how DO $45/pair omnis sound?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2006, 05:26:03 PM »
Ok... Gotta say I pulled the trigger.   The sample sounds good and I have a few shows comming up where I will have stage access and the smaller the footprint the better.  These would also probably be good for a second rig to loan out to friends when asked for.

Should be running the mics split on stage with some 481s in the center in a few weeks.  I'll post a sample when mixed together.

Stay Kind,
Dana
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:27:51 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
I looked at the circuit (homerecording.com forums).  I should comment that the "4.7k mod" we (Chris Church and I) do is a little different than this one.  In particular, we *cut* the traces on the WM61 capsule and put the 4.7k resistor between the source of the FET and ground.  This acts as "negative feedback" to reduce the gain of the mic, which is the reason why it can handle high sound levels..  Aside from this the circuit looks good.  Very nice work with the FET...

Yes I am aware of the Linkwitz mod, I never meant to imply my circuit uses it.  I did test it, but I could not derive a substantial benefit vs. my floating design, and the difficulty of soldering to the case (well, difficult for me, anyway) caused me to toast the occasional capsule.  However I have never been able increase SPL beyond 126dB, at that point the capsule seems to hit a brick wall and clip irrespective of supply voltage, FET configuration, etc.  Linkwitz reports 135dBSPL, but I can't duplicate that myself.  Of course my test gear also cannot much exceed 126dBSPL without increasing harmonic distortion significantly itself, so . . . however I have had good success tweaking the circuit further from the homerecording.com circuit to reduce THD up to the 126dB point.

The design of the 1A was also to enable use with low input impedance pres, and to some extent as I push the envelope on SPL, that ability gets degraded.

Try a search on homerecording for a thread by Marik, he did a lot of experimentation with this capsule in respect to the Linkwitz mod and some interesting variations of his own.  Those ideas were influential in my design.

The trick, that Marik posted I think, was to (carefully) modify the capsule as follows:
- use copper "solder wick" to remove the excess solder from both tabs on the WM61
- find the tab connected to the ground with copper
- carefully cut (with an exacto knife) across that tab.  You should see the pins of the FET protruding on the back.  Cut the tab so the FET pin is separated from the part of the tab which goes to the case

Now you have three parts (one on the one tab, and two on the cut tab) to connect to.  And you don't have to solder to the aluminum case.

It only took me ten or twenty tries to discover this, or more accurately, discover what Marik was doing and that it really worked!

Happy hacking...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »
+T and thanks for the link. I love reading about this stuff.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »
I believe most of the orders I received in the last couple of days were from this board (thank you!), so in the interest of efficiency I will post here:  if you have ordered a pair (as of now) WITHOUT windscreens, your mics will ship today (or shipped yesterday).  I ran out of windsreens on Saturday, I placed an order on Friday which I should receive tomorrow--with any luck, in enough time to send out your orders same day.

Sorry for the delay, the windscreens are rather more popular here than they are with the homerecording crowd  :-[.  I have my vendors looking into a larger quantity for me so this won't recur in the future.

Great job.  Hackers and (friendly!) vendors welcome on this board...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2006, 06:11:56 PM »
any chance of getting an updated download link? i'd love to check this out..
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline Chuck

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2006, 07:43:39 PM »
It was this thread here:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=111051

Modding the capsule progressed through many changes, it's kind of a long thread.  Somewhere in the middle there was a mention and a circuit with a floating capsule based on a suggestion by PRR.  I believe that was still a three-wire design, and of course the circuit is more involved.  I should repeat here what I said on homerecording that this is not the best possible circuit that could be made with WM61A, it's perhaps the best circuit that can fit in an XLR connector and be sold for $19   :)  My design target was the ECM8000's cousin, the Apex 220 (the version I happen to own).  I feel pretty comfortable stating the MSH-1A is better in nearly every respect.  Except the silkscreen job  :-[  On the other hand, my KSM141 is a better microphone in nearly every respect.  Except for size and maybe one other thing  ;)

However I don't think WM61A is ever going to make a high SPL microphone.  Thus my work on unidirectional capsules is oriented more towards that.

Jon:

Let me suggest that you start a thread in the Retail Space:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=22.0

You'll get more visability and be able to keep us up on your latest offerings.

Check out what ToddR did with his Segue Cables:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49744.0

I haven't been so excited about a new product in a long time as I am with the MSH-1A matched pairs. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

:spin:

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2006, 09:56:17 PM »
Yep. these have jumped to the top of my shopping list...
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 01:24:32 AM »
Can someone assist me with a question?  I've had no luck searching here or on Google  :(  I'm trying to build myself a test plug-in power supply, does anyone know the typical resistor value the power is supplied across?  Also is 5V most typical, or is the 1.5V-10V range hard to narrow down  ???

I think 2.5-3v is more typical, that is what the R-09, the iRiver H120 and most mini-discs put out for plug power.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline uglybassplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »
TNJazz,  I've been trying to access the page on YouSendIt.com, but it keeps sending me to the signup page, EVEN after I signed up and registered.  Is there another link to this file?  I'd really like to hear it.

- Frank.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »
The link seems to have expired.  Did anyone who downloaded it keep it around?  I don't have it anymore, so to put another sample up I'd have to re-render the file from the multitrack project.

Can anyone out there help?
Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »
TNJazz,  I've been trying to access the page on YouSendIt.com, but it keeps sending me to the signup page, EVEN after I signed up and registered.  Is there another link to this file?  I'd really like to hear it.

- Frank.

Hey Dirk,
Why don't you cut that sucker up and just put the whole show on the archive?  That is oteil and the peachmakers right?

Matt

*edit*
The link seems to have expired.  Did anyone who downloaded it keep it around?  I don't have it anymore, so to put another sample up I'd have to re-render the file from the multitrack project.

Dirk
I think I have it at home and I can throw it up on tpers later tonight as a sample.  I like my idea above better though!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Chuck

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 02:38:36 PM »

- Frank.

Hey Dirk,
Why don't you cut that sucker up and just put the whole show on the archive?  That is oteil and the peachmakers right?

Matt

*edit*

Dirk
I think I have it at home and I can throw it up on tpers later tonight as a sample.  I like my idea above better though!

Matt

Peaches and Herb

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2006, 02:43:15 PM »
Peaches and the Herbmakers

fixed it
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2006, 02:57:25 PM »
... Man, that's a cheap way to start a sound reinforcement business.

with omni condensors? Better get some good graph eq's!

I have some TC30K's but might need to grab some of these too.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »

- Frank.

Hey Dirk,

Matt

*edit*

Dirk

Matt

Peaches and Herb
Peaches and the Herbmakers

fixed it

:banging head:
fuckers
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com