Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: someone should buy this amp...  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Re: someone should buy this amp...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »
I would consider it if it had a little more power. I just worried running this (40watts) with the VR-2s that I would lose the slam and the high volume I love so much! Now bi-amping is a possibility, but I'm not ready for that sort of investetment yet...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »
I bet 40 tube watts would give you plenty of slam

I run a 30watt tube integrated and it gets LOUD
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:45:40 PM »
I bet 40 tube watts would give you plenty of slam

I run a 30watt tube integrated and it gets LOUD

yup
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:31:25 AM »
ditto.
and if you're really concerned, notice the ys100, 100w monos.    those would give you all the slam you need.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:13:12 AM »
The YSA100S looks good! Starting research! I'll let ya'll know if I decide to order...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
if I had the dough, i'd be all over one of these puppies.  they can't suck.  no way.
I have enough faith in their products just based off of my preamp experiences with them.
rolling tubes in their power amps.....man, that could be massive.

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »
I run their pre-amp. It's great... you need to change the stock tubes in all their gear though as they use cheep tubes. Tube amps are generaly though of as havinf more uuummmphh than a solid state amp. Without getting too deep into it, it's because most tube designes output more current than a similarly rated SS design. This isn't always true (see full Class-A SS amps) but it's a good rule of thumb. My Rogue puts out about 56 wats in Ultralinear with KT88's (at clipping) and it tosses my Fabers around like Jello on a rollercoaster. I rarly turn the gain up to 12noon on the AES and the house next door is shaking. Buy tubes, listen to tubes, love tubes...

That said, I'm thinking of selling my Rogue 88... I love it but I have had it for a year and a half and I just like to change my playback system now and then. There is nothing wrong with the amp (just changes the bridge rectifier last month actually, just in case) If anyone is intrested let me know. I paid $650 for it with one set of tubes (EL34)and I now have 2 sets of input tubes, the EL34s, 6550s, and KT88s to go with it. It is an auto-bias design so no pulling it apart to adjust bias every month and a great intro to tubes. Not sure what I want to get next but I'll think of something  ;)
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

BobW

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 03:41:25 AM »
that is 40 tube watts, plenty of power for speakers down to 85db sensitivity for people with normal human hearing that want to keep it that way    ;)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 07:04:12 AM »
yup..
my dream rig (currently) is a 40wpc Stingray driving VR2s.

I know what you mean about class A SS.  my Mambo is 50wpc , all in class A operation.  it is very loud for 50wpc.  smoked a Sony at 120wpc.  and I mean smoked it.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 09:48:14 AM »
I'm out! After some more thought of going back to tubes, I'm pretty happy with what I have now (and low maintenance). I will be changing my amp at some point, but I think I will try my hand at one of the new Class D solid state amps. Some of the NuForce amps look good, and I have really been wanting to hear the Channel Island D200 blocks. We'll see what happens in the spring...

Someone try out the YS Audio amp. If I hadn't decided to go with the full blown HT route, I would still own my YS pre...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »
i'm sure I'll get one next year sometime.  maybe I can swing a review deal or something.  :)
i've always wanted to get one of those ysa100 mono sets.  they look pretty sweet, and as stagger said, rolling out the tubes for some fatty's would probably make those things sing unreal.

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 02:49:30 PM »
I'm out! After some more thought of going back to tubes, I'm pretty happy with what I have now (and low maintenance). I will be changing my amp at some point, but I think I will try my hand at one of the new Class D solid state amps. Some of the NuForce amps look good, and I have really been wanting to hear the Channel Island D200 blocks. We'll see what happens in the spring...

Someone try out the YS Audio amp. If I hadn't decided to go with the full blown HT route, I would still own my YS pre...

You have to be careful with those switching amps. The are increadibly load dependent. They can sing on one speaker and sound like total crap on another. Make sure you buy these from someplace you can try them out or return/exchange or you can go used if you don't mind  taking a loss to expariment.

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 06:34:58 PM »
Just don't try swapping tubes on a BAT, get's REAL expensive, real fast  >:D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »
Those ain't KT88's  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.698 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com