Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newb question/comments on possible new set up.....  (Read 3336 times)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
newb question/comments on possible new set up.....
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »
Hey,

Just getting started, and willing to blow the wad on some equipment.  I have been looking seriously into buying som new Marantz equipment, and looking at either the PMD670, and the PMD671.....with out pummeling me with all kinds of tech stuff, what is the difference betweent the two, and 300$ is not what I am after...is the 671 worth going out and spending the 300$ extra?  If it has better electronics for recording concerts,  as a first and last purchase, is it worth it?

I am looking into the Rode NT-4 mic.....any thought?

Thanks for the help ;D
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: newb question/comments on possible new set up.....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
Hey,

Just getting started, and willing to blow the wad on some equipment.  I have been looking seriously into buying som new Marantz equipment, and looking at either the PMD670, and the PMD671.....with out pummeling me with all kinds of tech stuff, what is the difference between the two, and 300$ is not what I am after...is the 671 worth going out and spending the 300$ extra?  If it has better electronics for recording concerts,  as a first and last purchase, is it worth it?

Thanks for the help ;D
The marantz flash recorders won't work for recording concerts without the Oade mod  www.oade.com , or without a preamp/analog-to-digital converter in front of them.  The biggest difference between the 670 and the 71 is that the 71 is a 24bit recorder.  I was told by Doug before i bought my pmd660 that the 660 was a better sounding machine that the 670 after the same mods were done.  The biggest difference between the 660 and the 670 is size (660 is about 1/2 the size), but the 670 also has a digital input which would work best if you are using an external pre that has built in adc.  I'm sure most people would agree that if you aren't concerned about 24bit, you should get the oade modded acm pmd660 and if you are, you should look at the acm 671.  If you are using an external pre/adc such as a ua5 or a v3, then you should look at the 670 for 16 bit and the 671 for 24.  No mod is necessary if you are using an external pre/adc.
    As for the nt4, I ran a pair of nt5's (the same as an nt4 but not a stereo mic) for awhile and they are not a bad mic in my opinion.  A little brittle in the highs and a little sloppy in the lows but you could do worse.  I personally stay away from stereo mics in general because you don't have the options of the separate mics in terms of positioning.  That being said, when I ran my nt5's I almost always went x/y anyways and that is the fixed pattern of the nt4. 

That should get you started.  Check out the oade site and you can read descriptions of the different mods.

Welcome to ts!!!

Matt
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:30:37 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:34:49 AM »
Thanks for input.....I probably will do the Oade basic concert mod...is that a good start?  I will be intrested for more input from ya....
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
I was told by a dealer that the 671 will work for recording shows w/ the Rode mics no problem....

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:05:14 PM »
The 24 bit PMD671 is a big improvement over the 16 bit PMD670 and PMD660.  It's got a much better preamp than either of the 16 bit models. 

Online prices for the PMD671 vary from around $850 to $1000.   Occasionally you can find a better deal, like this:  A company called Martel Electronics is offering to sell the PMD671 for the same price as the PMD670.  A week ago they were advertising a $699 price, but today the web page says to call to get the "special price."  Martel is not some fly-by-night eBay merchant, they're an established company that sells gear for dictation and court reporting.  Here's the link.  http://martelelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=988

If you're considering spending $850 or more on a recorder, then check out the Tascam HD-P2.  It's becoming a favorite of professionals who do field work on movie and TV production.  The HD-P2 is similar in price and features to the PMD671, but (IMHO) has better-sounding preamps.

This forum includes several people who are very happy with the upgrades Doug Oade performed on their machines.  In particular, the Advanced Concert Mod is a great upgrade if you plan to record loud concerts.  With a few exceptions, Oade won't work on machines that he didn't sell originally, so you might want to shop at www.oade.com for your Marantz or Tascam equipment even if it means paying more.

Flintstone

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:13:26 PM »
Yes, the 671 has better pre amps, but is it still possible to do decent recordings with out the OADE mods?  OADE does not sell the 670, which I am interested in, and if I go with the 671, do I really need to do the mods?

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »
Yes, the 671 has better pre amps, but is it still possible to do decent recordings with out the OADE mods?  OADE does not sell the 670, which I am interested in, and if I go with the 671, do I really need to do the mods?
I can't speak for the 671 but I assume that it will need a mod to do loud shows.  Now if your mics have a pad (I don't think the nt4 does) that may be enough, but with my unmodded 660 it was not enough even when using a -10db pad.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »
sorry if I sound like a newbie, but, I am w/ this.....does the 660 or 670 not have controls or functions to limit the input from the mics?......I wish OADE had the 670....

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
sorry if I sound like a newbie, but, I am w/ this.....does the 660 or 670 not have controls or functions to limit the input from the mics?......I wish OADE had the 670....

It's ok!  We were all new to this stuff at one time.  There is gain control on all the units but these units (and most of what we use for this hobby) were designed more for dictation and voice recording than for 120 db concerts.  Marantz set the gain range so that you could easily amplify quiet sounds, but in doing this they didn't take into account loud sounds. 
     Why would you want the 670 over the 660?  The 660 is more compact, sounds better and is less expensive.  Only downside is the lack of a digital input, but if you have the mod done you probably will never have need for that anyway.  Getting the basic concert mod is a good place to start, and you can upgrade that to the acm mod when you are ready for an upgrade.

Matt

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 03:54:03 PM »
In purchasing electronics I have always found that spending a little more, usually pays off in the future...features you don't seem to use today, might be needed later on....including the digital inputs, etc....

UGH!  Making a decision is getting tougher by the minute......

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »
First, Thank you for your help!  Ok, narrowing it down.....what harm, (regaurdless of $) would the 671 be over the 660 since OADE does not offer the 670?  Size really wouldn't matter much to me (that doesn't sound right!), and if I get the basic concert mod on the 671, would this be a good choice? ???

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »

For the same price ya can get Studio Project C4's and ya get shocks, flight case, and a extra pair of caps. Check them out!!! For the price ya can't beat them.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 02:07:18 AM »

For the same price ya can get Studio Project C4's and ya get shocks, flight case, and a extra pair of caps. Check them out!!! For the price ya can't beat them.
Peace

Hmmm... I actually have a like-new pair of c4's that are currently offered to a friend locally, but I found today that they will most likely be in the yard sale by the end of the week.  They really are nice mics and substantially better than the rhode.  1/2 the price too!  Yeah, if you have the scratch you should go for the 671.  Start with the basic concert mod and then up it when you are ready.  That should be a respectable rig for the next couple of years I would think.  It's easy to get caught up in the hobby and spend a lot more, but c-4's > bcm pmd671 is one hell of a starter rig.

Matt

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 06:30:48 AM »
Thanks Matt,  I did go w/ the Rode mics, the hobby is catchy, and I am sure I will be dumping more in as I go!  Thanks for your input!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com