Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-R4  (Read 31696 times)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: Sonosax SX-R4
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra. Both are scrambling now to produce recorders/mixers that can compete with the digital non-linear offerings of SD, Zaxcom, and Aaton. This isn't a bad thing, more competition is good, but when you look at 4/8 channel hard drive recorders Sonosax is about 5 years behind. SD was able to pull off getting into the game on price/features, Nagra has so far failed pretty miserably (but you can never count them out).

Because a lot of these units are used in films and wireless mics are starting to be used more and more, the emphasis recently has been on increasing channels using line inputs. You have the Cantar with 8 tracks, Zaxcom with 8/10 tracks (16 coming later this year), and so I would expect SD to have something in the works to compete with the growing number of channels.

Wayne

Well said Wayne. I am not holding my breath for Sonosax. They "announce" WAAAAAAY to prematurely, and usually fail to deliver on-time and not to mention in the support sector. I bet I have sent them 5 emails in the past 2-3 years, and did not get a single response regarding my SX-M2, Minir82 questions/availability, etc. I wonder how many MiniR82's actually sold? Certainly couldn't be that many. I think it is a horrible design for its intended use (Film/ENG/etc). Nothing would irritate me more than having to deal with an iPod sized recorder with a enormous breakout cable while in the field working. However, I bet it sounds real nice which probably makes it worth it! I find it funny that the SX-R4 can be run off 4AA batteries. I bet that last all of 20 minutes.  ::)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
I find it funny that the SX-R4 can be run off 4AA batteries. I bet that last all of 20 minutes.  ::)

Battery life was one of the pleasant surprises with the MiniR82.  It also uses 4 AA cells, and using line-in I get almost 5 hours with 2700 MaH NiMH cells, just under 4 using phantom power.  If the SX-R4 is a miniR82 with standard connectors it might get similar time, in any case way better than the bigger boxes (Fostex, Marantz) that use 8 AAs (or the internal batteries of the MT2496, Korg MR-1, etc).  Most folks will want to add external power, when I use a small lithium Power Bank or Power Stick I get more like 10-12 hours, no need to touch the thing.  Of course, you'll have to figure out how to get the right connector wired, polarity, etc, without much fast help from Sonosax.

Jeff

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
about the 82  , its nice device  but more for sfx or for work with external mixer , not really stand alone device  for normal film job .
i have a feeling it came out as something to check the water and beeing a platform for the current products they shipping  now+ internal recorder for their big mixers .
the only thing i dont like on the sax is that not recording all the cahnnels to cf card  what become a drag to hook the recorder every time to computer make the down loads . hope that would change with the time .
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »
Dear XXXXXXX,

at this time we are also correcting our current US pricing  due to the exchange rates. But this is for currently available products.
The USD has dropped quite a lot recently but it is slightly raising again since a few days.
Of course I am not a Master in economy but I do believ that the USD will raise again ( it is kept artificially too low actually because of some political reasons).

We will see how it will be in next February when the SX-R4 will be launched ...

Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX

Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »
We will see how it will be in next February when the SX-R4 will be launched ...

:realhappy:
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
To all those who said it would slip from a fall '07 release +T!  8)
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
Also due to the weak US$, the price is reaching $5000 (may go even higher next year if the $ still fall)

There is a video of it here:

http://www.gearwire.com/sonosax-new-products-aes-vienna.html

Anyone know if this machine can go mic-in for 4 channels or it needs an external preamp for the 3rd and 4th channel?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:35:27 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:23 PM »
It is supposed to have 4 powered Pre-Amps...  and 2 line-in

See Sonosax site for more details...  http://sonosax.com/index2.html

Final specs still not 100%.. 

They say FEB but who knows...

CQBert

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Just got a news letter...

There are updates and prices....

Offline meatling

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »
Just got a news letter...

There are updates and prices....
You beat me to it  ;D Bottom line: The SX-R4 will be launched REAL SOON NOW and it will be more expensive than originally planned, i.e. CHF 5,850 instead of 5,600 as is still announced on their web site. That's $5,700 USD as of today.

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »

I bet I have sent them 5 emails in the past 2-3 years, and did not get a single response regarding my SX-M2, Minir82 questions/availability, etc. I wonder how many MiniR82's actually sold? Certainly couldn't be that many. I think it is a horrible design for its intended use (Film/ENG/etc). Nothing would irritate me more than having to deal with an iPod sized recorder with a enormous breakout cable while in the field working. However, I bet it sounds real nice which probably makes it worth it! I find it funny that the SX-R4 can be run off 4AA batteries. I bet that last all of 20 minutes.  ::)

I have the Minir82, and I played dice with the battery last week and recorded a concert that was almost 3,5 hours long  with just one set of 4AA batteries (using an ORTF Schoeps CMC64) and internal minir82 preamps. That was with SWISS BATTERIES (2700 mAh). Wouldnt try that with VARTA batteries tough. Those died on me once after 30 min (brand new, bought that day)...

The breakout cable from the MiniR is actually quite small, just expencive and one cant really buy it around every corner...

And about SX-M2, I sent an eMail last week, and they answered in 3 days saying it is discontinued. Maybe it was just luck that they answered to me? And bad luck they dont have any more m2-s...

Anyone knows what other product can match the SX-M2 in size and quality?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:26:14 PM by amfortas2006 »

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »
Some really nice pictures here:

http://www.perchman.com/albums/index.php?alb=56&img=709

It's actually smaller and lighter than the Sound Device recorders. Photos 6 and 9 makes it look really small. Definitely curious how this recorder will sound as an all in one with my mics.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 11:44:53 PM »

It's actually smaller and lighter than the Sound Device recorders. Photos 6 and 9 makes it look really small. Definitely curious how this recorder will sound as an all in one with my mics.

That thing is micro!  Definitely stealfable.  The display is a little lackluster, practically speaking it is doing it's job but there is no scale and it looks like the resolution is poor.

My experiences with Sonosax customer support was bad as well.  Sent a few emails about the plug needed to get a snug fit for the SX-M2.  Never responded to the two emails I sent.

Thanks for the link! +T  Philippe is obviously in love with the machine!  Love the locations, makes me wanna go back to Europe!

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »

That is a really kickass looking little recorder. I am curious of its performance. :hmmm:
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »
Sonosax stuff is elegant, not unlike a Bugatti.  And maybe as fragile, too.  To run against Nagra and SD you have to be rugged.  Folks want  recorders to work every time they turn them on.  <100% just does not cut it at this price range at all.  Only once would a recorder have to fail on me to get me upset.

And, being in the west, French, end of Switzerland is a ways off to be and to also have bad customer support.  SD has excellent customer support in my experience and I will bet you a fat man that Nagra does, too.  So just like women, pretty is not enough to go the distance.  For something serious I want a recorder I can live with, day in, day out.

As usual, YMMV

Damn sure a pretty recorder, though.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com