Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording of Broadway musicals?  (Read 12701 times)

Offline bbernardini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Recording of Broadway musicals?
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
Anybody done recordings of these? I'm trying to determine the best "set it and leave it" level for an R-09. I know these can be tricky with dialogue and music levels being different. If it helps, I'm in the center on the floor. Theoretically. :)

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recording of Broadway musicals?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:25:03 PM »
FWIW, if you did not already know this, recording Broadway shows (openly at least), is forbidden. To the best of my knowledge it is against union or association rules. I think there is a stiff fine if you are caught recording a Broadway show.
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »
FWIW, if you did not already know this, recording Broadway shows (openly at least), is forbidden. To the best of my knowledge it is against union or association rules. I think there is a stiff fine if you are caught recording a Broadway show.

Can you provide concrete references to this claim (of a fine)?  I was not aware of this.  I thought the worst thing was getting thrown out of the venue.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline bbernardini

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »
SP-CMC-19 and SP battery box. The no-frills one.

Offline bbernardini

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »
Thanks! Very useful info. And a good tongue twister for tapers, as well: "Clip the clapping." Say that 5 times fast. :)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:03:01 AM »
I believe that in New York State, illegal taping can result in having your recording equipment confiscated by the theater. Or at least that's what they claim in the printed programs for Broadway shows and the like.

If someone can tell me how to find out for certain whether this authority has ever been used or not, I'd be glad to research it further.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »
buy the cast record LOL

A :P
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
I believe that in New York State, illegal taping can result in having your recording equipment confiscated by the theater. Or at least that's what they claim in the printed programs for Broadway shows and the like.

If someone can tell me how to find out for certain whether this authority has ever been used or not, I'd be glad to research it further.

Whether it's been used and whether it's legal are two different things altogether. New York state law states that recording ANY performance without permission is illegal. If you're caught, they can ask for your gear for the remainder of the show (and must provide a receipt, and are responsible for any damage). If you refuse to surrender your gear, you have to leave, BUT they have to refund your ticket price. That's the only state I'm aware of that has that last clause.

See the archive thread here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,23206.msg290392.html#msg290392
and the full law here: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c7/a30.html
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »
Here is a musical I mixed and recorded wearing a pair of my mics. I was about 100' back from the stage.

http://www.freedrive.com/file/246289
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:41:36 PM »
I've found that the Original Cast Recording is often different from the actual show. They change things up. Drop/Add songs. Cast members change, etc.

I wanted to record Annie Get Your Gun a few years back when it was playing. I had back stage passes, so I decided it might cause some trouble if I got caught. Decided to stick with the OCR. It's not the same though.

I say go for it. I doubt many people at a Broadway show will even notice you checking levels.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
FWIW, at the last two Spamalot shows i've seen in the last year and a half (London and Dallas) I noticed people in the wings with cameras similar to movie theaters looking out at the crowd.  Don't know if they were looking for video tapers or audio tapers but they were definitely there.  Enough that I noticed them.   A friend who's wife works for the the organization here that brings n the productions said that it was common practice for all shows at least here locally.  Apparently Mamma Mia was the worst about looking for people video/audio/still photo.   

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:39:03 AM »
greenone, many thanks for the reply. Glad to move that one out of the urban myth column and into the reality check column.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »
I was with the guys from Shubert ticketing today for lunch = telecharge. They said they would confiscate the deck guaranteed.

A
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
I was with the guys from Shubert ticketing today for lunch = telecharge. They said they would confiscate the deck guaranteed.

A

Sounds like thats illegal according to NY State law. Of course that doesn't always stop them.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

A

Sounds like thats illegal according to NY State law. Of course that doesn't always stop them.

Of course not...if they ask for it and you're dumb enough give it to them, I wouldn't count on seeing it again.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com