Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best taping methods/gear to record in "boomy" venues?  (Read 11950 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best taping methods/gear to record in "boomy" venues?
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
I've searched this topic quite a bit since I've been getting some boomy sounding recordings in a venue that has a lot of great acts the come through, but all my previous recordings have sounded poor due to the "boominess." 

In my past three tapings, I've used CA-11 w/cardioid caps in A-B configuration in a hat along with the CA-9100 preamp w/high pass filter set to "off" and an Edirol R-09. 

From the posts that I've read, it seems these are the best ways to get a good recording in a boomy venue:

1. Use hypercardioids in XY configuration.
2. Use high pass filter in the 9100 or use bass-roll off in a battery box.
3. Tape close to the stacks (difficult to do in the venue as the speakers are mounted from a rather high ceiling).

Is this the best way to go about getting a non-boomy recording in a boomy venue?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any input  8)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best taping methods/gear to record in "boomy" venues?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »
Get them out of the hat as much as possible...the more air you can put around the mic...the better...

I like NOS pattern for cards...might not be do-able for hat taping...

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »

I've never ran hypercardiods in XY so I can't speak to that, but I'd try your HPF, or roll off.  Experiment and see what works for you.  Some of the bands and rooms I tape are not ideal, and if I get a boomy recording I like to try to find that resonant frequency in a graphic EQ on my editor.  Just move along and drop each frequency then put it back to level until you find where the "boom" is, then adjust accordingly.  When I tape the Disco Biscuits I usually always drop one fader down on the EQ between 250-150hz to my liking.  With the roll off you lose all the low end when it might only be a small band of frequencies that are bothersome to you.  Good luck

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »

I've never ran hypercardiods in XY so I can't speak to that, but I'd try your HPF, or roll off.  Experiment and see what works for you.  Some of the bands and rooms I tape are not ideal, and if I get a boomy recording I like to try to find that resonant frequency in a graphic EQ on my editor.  Just move along and drop each frequency then put it back to level until you find where the "boom" is, then adjust accordingly.  When I tape the Disco Biscuits I usually always drop one fader down on the EQ between 250-150hz to my liking.  With the roll off you lose all the low end when it might only be a small band of frequencies that are bothersome to you.  Good luck

Jesse

Thanks for the replies guys, +Ts...

I'm wondering if I'm using the correct terminology.  When I say "boomy," I mean that the recording sounds a bit distant (even if recorded in a small venue), like if you used some concert hall setting in your EQ maybe.  Kind of "echo-y" maybe?  I assume that's what people meant when they say "boomy" so hopefully this is the right problem that I'm trying to get help on  ???

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »

Jesse

Thanks for the replies guys, +Ts...

I'm wondering if I'm using the correct terminology.  When I say "boomy," I mean that the recording sounds a bit distant (even if recorded in a small venue), like if you used some concert hall setting in your EQ maybe.  Kind of "echo-y" maybe?  I assume that's what people meant when they say "boomy" so hopefully this is the right problem that I'm trying to get help on  ???

Dont bother with my hpf run them flat most arena bass mud is around 100hz to 150hz. But there is no hard and fast rule. Flat is better then when you take the recording home you can try and fix the bass.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:29:36 PM »
Dont bother with my hpf run them flat most arena bass mud is around 100hz to 150hz. But there is no hard and fast rule. Flat is better then when you take the recording home you can try and fix the bass.

Thanks for the input Chris.  When's the appropriate situation to use the hpf? 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:49:20 AM »

Thanks for the input Chris.  When's the appropriate situation to use the hpf? 

When your using omni mics in a boomy room. My Cardioids rarely need the HPF in boomy rooms...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
Run ORTF if you can in a boomy room.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
Run ORTF if you can in a boomy room.

Thx Chris and Belexes.  Will ORTF decrease the 'boominess' of the recording? 

Offline Belexes

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »
Less of the ambient room characteristics are picked up with ORTF.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:29:56 AM »

WHAT? I think youve got that backwards my man ;) ORTF is 17cm spacing w/ an angle of 110 degrees, which opens the mics up to MORE room ambience, not less ;)

I would try running Hypers if possible. But what you described isnt 'boominess'. youre describinga achoey room sound, not boominess. I would call boominess a characteristic of a recording w/ TOO much bass/lowend. Sounds like you need to get closer. If your recordings are 'boomy' and have too much bass, then I wouldnt go closer to the stacks/sound source, because the closer you get(too close) proximity effect will kick in and you'll get even a more 'boomy' recording than you had initially ;)

I would run cards closer to the stage if your problem is echoey-ness. Have you been far from the sound source in your past 'boomy' efforts?

Can you post a sample of what youre trying to explain? thats the only way we can make a certain suggestion to try and help you out ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
I'd avoid using HPF is you can get away without it.  Try reducing the angle less than 90 or 110 to reduce ambient / room noise.  Hypers would help as well.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »

I always thought the greater the angle = increased room characteristics.

Offline Belexes

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »
good info, +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com