Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best taping methods/gear to record in "boomy" venues?  (Read 11949 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best taping methods/gear to record in "boomy" venues?
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
I've searched this topic quite a bit since I've been getting some boomy sounding recordings in a venue that has a lot of great acts the come through, but all my previous recordings have sounded poor due to the "boominess." 

In my past three tapings, I've used CA-11 w/cardioid caps in A-B configuration in a hat along with the CA-9100 preamp w/high pass filter set to "off" and an Edirol R-09. 

From the posts that I've read, it seems these are the best ways to get a good recording in a boomy venue:

1. Use hypercardioids in XY configuration.
2. Use high pass filter in the 9100 or use bass-roll off in a battery box.
3. Tape close to the stacks (difficult to do in the venue as the speakers are mounted from a rather high ceiling).

Is this the best way to go about getting a non-boomy recording in a boomy venue?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any input  8)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best taping methods/gear to record in "boomy" venues?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »
Get them out of the hat as much as possible...the more air you can put around the mic...the better...

I like NOS pattern for cards...might not be do-able for hat taping...

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »

I've never ran hypercardiods in XY so I can't speak to that, but I'd try your HPF, or roll off.  Experiment and see what works for you.  Some of the bands and rooms I tape are not ideal, and if I get a boomy recording I like to try to find that resonant frequency in a graphic EQ on my editor.  Just move along and drop each frequency then put it back to level until you find where the "boom" is, then adjust accordingly.  When I tape the Disco Biscuits I usually always drop one fader down on the EQ between 250-150hz to my liking.  With the roll off you lose all the low end when it might only be a small band of frequencies that are bothersome to you.  Good luck

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »

I've never ran hypercardiods in XY so I can't speak to that, but I'd try your HPF, or roll off.  Experiment and see what works for you.  Some of the bands and rooms I tape are not ideal, and if I get a boomy recording I like to try to find that resonant frequency in a graphic EQ on my editor.  Just move along and drop each frequency then put it back to level until you find where the "boom" is, then adjust accordingly.  When I tape the Disco Biscuits I usually always drop one fader down on the EQ between 250-150hz to my liking.  With the roll off you lose all the low end when it might only be a small band of frequencies that are bothersome to you.  Good luck

Jesse

Thanks for the replies guys, +Ts...

I'm wondering if I'm using the correct terminology.  When I say "boomy," I mean that the recording sounds a bit distant (even if recorded in a small venue), like if you used some concert hall setting in your EQ maybe.  Kind of "echo-y" maybe?  I assume that's what people meant when they say "boomy" so hopefully this is the right problem that I'm trying to get help on  ???

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »

Jesse

Thanks for the replies guys, +Ts...

I'm wondering if I'm using the correct terminology.  When I say "boomy," I mean that the recording sounds a bit distant (even if recorded in a small venue), like if you used some concert hall setting in your EQ maybe.  Kind of "echo-y" maybe?  I assume that's what people meant when they say "boomy" so hopefully this is the right problem that I'm trying to get help on  ???

Dont bother with my hpf run them flat most arena bass mud is around 100hz to 150hz. But there is no hard and fast rule. Flat is better then when you take the recording home you can try and fix the bass.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:29:36 PM »
Dont bother with my hpf run them flat most arena bass mud is around 100hz to 150hz. But there is no hard and fast rule. Flat is better then when you take the recording home you can try and fix the bass.

Thanks for the input Chris.  When's the appropriate situation to use the hpf? 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:49:20 AM »

Thanks for the input Chris.  When's the appropriate situation to use the hpf? 

When your using omni mics in a boomy room. My Cardioids rarely need the HPF in boomy rooms...

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
Run ORTF if you can in a boomy room.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
Run ORTF if you can in a boomy room.

Thx Chris and Belexes.  Will ORTF decrease the 'boominess' of the recording? 

Offline Belexes

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »
Less of the ambient room characteristics are picked up with ORTF.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:29:56 AM »

WHAT? I think youve got that backwards my man ;) ORTF is 17cm spacing w/ an angle of 110 degrees, which opens the mics up to MORE room ambience, not less ;)

I would try running Hypers if possible. But what you described isnt 'boominess'. youre describinga achoey room sound, not boominess. I would call boominess a characteristic of a recording w/ TOO much bass/lowend. Sounds like you need to get closer. If your recordings are 'boomy' and have too much bass, then I wouldnt go closer to the stacks/sound source, because the closer you get(too close) proximity effect will kick in and you'll get even a more 'boomy' recording than you had initially ;)

I would run cards closer to the stage if your problem is echoey-ness. Have you been far from the sound source in your past 'boomy' efforts?

Can you post a sample of what youre trying to explain? thats the only way we can make a certain suggestion to try and help you out ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
I'd avoid using HPF is you can get away without it.  Try reducing the angle less than 90 or 110 to reduce ambient / room noise.  Hypers would help as well.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »

I always thought the greater the angle = increased room characteristics.

Offline Belexes

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »
good info, +T

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 10:47:56 AM »
ORTF:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/ss/stereo_mics_3.htm

Maybe I'm losing it, but that doesn't look even close to ORTF to me.

I'm not sure if the OP is looking to reduce room sound, but my personal preference in shitty sounding rooms is to simply point at the stacks. More direct sound, less reflected sound, which IME is a solid trade off.  I rarely see a point in running a true stereo configuration when the result is your mics pointing a wall.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »
ORTF:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/ss/stereo_mics_3.htm

I'm not sure if the OP is looking to reduce room sound, but my personal preference in shitty sounding rooms is to simply point at the stacks. More direct sound, less reflected sound, which IME is a solid trade off.  I rarely see a point in running a true stereo configuration when the result is your mics pointing a wall.

I agree with that statement 100%
In a reverberant field if you want a more direct sound you aim your mics at the source the louder the source is in relation to the room the less reverb or room sound you will end up with.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
I had this exact question that I asked on the board in '07 and a lot of folks advised ORTF at that time.  I tried it and it worked like a charm.

YMMV.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
If you did what the picture you linked to as ORTF shows (referring to http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/ss/stereo_mics_3.htm) you were actually using XY which is what a lot of folks are suggesting.

Edit:  Those pictures are horrible.  Only AB is correct*.  His XY is wrong also.  XY is with the capsule coincident (right on top of each other, no horizontal separation), ORTF has the capsules spaced apart 17cm HORIZONTALLY and aimed out at an angle of 110°, and having the capsules spaced horizontally but pointed at angles inward (like his XY picture) is...goofy.

*Sort of.  Normally you would space A-B mics much further apart, and get a better stereo image as a result.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:44:55 PM by Will_S »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »

Less than what? Spaced omni? I would agree with that. Now, personally, I love ortf, but I try to record in good-sounding locations and max out my ratio of direct:reflected sound by choosing a good location for the mics.

ORTF: http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/ss/stereo_mics_3.htm
It's not ortf.
I rarely see a point in running a true stereo configuration when the result is your mics pointing a wall.
If your mics have relatively flat off-axis response, they can get plenty of direct sound even if they appear to be pointed at the wall. If you reduce the angle between them, then I would think that you would start to lose the stereo spread.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:52:13 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Roving Sign

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »
ORTF

XY

NOS

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:53:59 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
whoa, i took those photos (and wrote the article) but they don't match up with the ones i thought were there.  actually, they should be photos of KM140s instead of the 184s, too.

about.com just launched a redesign, and some stuff has been garbled in the process.  i'll make sure that gets fixed immediately.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »
as posted above, I always get the best pulls from shitty rooms by just using the plain old "point at the stacks" method. 

*Billy Dee Williams voice* Works every time!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:06:05 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
As far as gear, hypers definitely.

As far as configurations go, I've come to the conclusion that running XY in boomy rooms is not all that helpful.  Maybe it helps a little but personally I think the tradeoff of improvement is not really worth the compression of the sound stage.

I go for a sort of intermediate config.  Basically DINa with the included angle cut down to say 75 degrees or so instead of 90.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:20:19 PM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
X,Y 90deg hypers is great for getting a more direct sound.  You can even close the angle a bit to say 85 or even 80.  The more you close the angle the less bass, the more mono the recording becomes but you loose that part of the room acoustics that you seem to be describing.

ORTF would be about the opposite way to go for getting less room.

Of course the best way to get rid of it is get the engineer to notch filter at 110 and 60 use an HPF and then crank the gas!!   ;)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
ORTF:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.burmajster/O.htm

ORTF is perfect for terrible acoustics in a room, cardoid mics. With hypers, I use DINa.

"   
O.R.T.F.

Its main advantage is that because it uses cardioids, the microphones can be placed further back from the source without capturing too much of the reverberation than most other techniques. This often makes for a better blended balance than techniques that mean putting the microphones a little closer. Also, the use of cardioids enables you to use it in over reverberant acoustics where other techniques would capture too much of the acoustic. "

I think this is meant in comparison with micing using omni mics, not for a comparison of ORTF with other stereo configs using directional mics. ORTF is basically the most wide open of the stereo configs using directional mics, which means you will get more room sound.

For less room sound, narrow the angle between the mics, I like the scientifically tested and proven PAS config (point-at-stacks  ;) ) config as a general rule of thumb in a boomy room.

Other than that I don't know much you can do other than getting closer to the sound source so that you are getting a higher ratio of direct:reflected sound. A big boomy hall is pretty much always going to sound like a big boomy hall.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:58:46 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
Edit:  Those pictures are horrible. 

hahaha

actually, that ORTF picture might be close if the mics were pointed the other direction in their mounts.  ;D

I'm pretty sure Joe Shambro is a member here.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 09:43:56 PM »
I'm with Jammin72.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 12:21:34 AM »
As far as gear, hypers definitely.

As far as configurations go, I've come to the conclusion that running XY in boomy rooms is not all that helpful.  Maybe it helps a little but personally I think the tradeoff of improvement is not really worth the compression of the sound stage.

I go for a sort of intermediate config.  Basically DINa with the included angle cut down to say 75 degrees or so instead of 90.

I have ran 'modded' configs a BUNCH of times, and they usually work GREAT for the most part. Usually 'modding' the configs angle emans that I am basiclaly just pointing at the stacks, or at least moreson than the standard DINa/DIN/NOS/etc would allow. And then I mark about where those modded configs are in relation to spacing and angle, and there you ahve it. Ive had alot of great success w/ running hypers, but instead of the typical spacing of 17cm w/ hypers, I have ran them ALOT in a 3-4" MAX spacing, and then just poiunting at the stacks or outside of the stcaks from there. That helps cut down on room acounstics and chatter, but still maintains somewhat of a stereo signal/sound but not nearly as mono as XY, since I have been a HUGE XY hater all of my life really.

So yeah, try running hypers w/ a 3-4" MAX spacing and altering the angle until it is pointing pretty much at the stacks. Usually that angle ends up beinga round 60-80 degrees :)

And as always YMMV. There is only ONE WAY to find out, and thats to experiemnt and try thinsg for yourself. EVERY venue/room is different, and there is no ONE WAY to mic ANY room, except to try things and see what works. Just because you and me or whomever says 'try this' doesnt mean its going to work for the room you are recording in. Thats what makes a great taper IMO, is the ability to walk into ANY room, and pick a location to setup, and then adjust your config accordingly ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 03:01:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure Joe Shambro is a member here.

It would certainly seem to be the case, seeing as he just posted about 5 posts up!!  >:D

whoa, i took those photos (and wrote the article) . . .
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »
It would certainly seem to be the case, seeing as he just posted about 5 posts up!!  >:D

::)  I gotta learn to read the whole thread before posting replies.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 06:27:06 PM »
Just as a general reply to the original question, if "boomy" means there was too much reflected (room) sound relative to the direct sound, then the A#1 adjustment that needs to be made, and the only one which will be really effective, is to get your microphones distinctly closer to the sound sources. By that, I mean reduce the distance by more than half.

The advice which various people have been giving you about different microphone setups and more sharply directional microphones is not wrong, but it can't help you very much. You already were using cardioids, and cardioids are already about 85% as efficient at suppressing random-incident ("diffuse") sound as hypercardioids would be. If (as it seems) your microphones were at a distance where the sound field itself is mainly made up of reflected sound energy, then by switching to hypercardioids you wouldn't get much audible improvement.

By contrast, if you put your microphones where there's an appropriate mix of direct and reverberant sound energy, then you can make a plausible recording with almost any type (pattern) of microphone.

In sound engineering there is a figure called the "distance factor" for each microphone pattern. It represents the relative distance at which you can record, by comparison to an omnidirectional microphone, and get the same balance of direct and reflected sound as the omni would pick up. The highest "distance factor" you can get with a first-order microphone is only 2.0.

Say that you record with an omnidirectional microphone at a distance of 10 feet from a sound source; you'll get a certain percentage of direct sound and a certain percentage of reflected sound, adding up to 100%. Now take a cardioid microphone instead of the omni, and ("all other things being equal") you can place the cardioid about 17 feet away from the sound source, and the resulting mix of direct vs. reflected sound will be about the same as what the omni picked up at 10 feet. The cardioid pattern has a "distance factor" of 1.7, in other words.

But as I said, the maximum available distance factor is only 2.0 (hypercardioid pattern); the most sharply directional microphone available would let you record at a distance of 20 feet and still get the same balance of direct to reflected sound energy as the omni gave you (though the result would sound rather different for a variety of reasons). And my point is that the difference between cardioid and hypercardioid is just that 15% (3 feet out of 20) in terms of the distance factor. So you can switch to other, more strongly directional microphones, sure--but doing so won't reduce the proportion of room reflections by much.

There are no miracle microphones that can "reach in" and pick up direct sound from distances where the sound field is primarily diffuse. That's why I'm saying that microphone placement is far more relevant here than any discussion of different microphone types or even of stereo miking arrangements, although they're important.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:49:59 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Roving Sign

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »
DSatz - can you comment on the effects of having them mounted in his hat...? (besides making more difficult to use any of the traditional patterns)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »
Well, the main thing is that a directional capsule has two sound inlets--one in the front and one behind the diaphragm, usually along the sides of the capsule. If the hat prevents sound from reaching the rear sound inlets freely, then the microphone will become more like an omni because some of the sound which should cause reinforcement for front-arriving sound, and cancellation for rear-arriving sound, won't reach the rear of the diaphragm.

When that happens, the sound will also tend to become dull and "boomy" in the more usual sense of the word, i.e. the low frequencies will be emphasized, possibly by quite a few dB. That's why you can't simply convert the typical cardioid into an omni by putting a collar around its rear sound inlets--the resulting pattern might be nearly omnidirectional, but the resonant frequency of the capsule would be two or three octaves too low.

Someone earlier in this thread encouraged the original poster to make sure that the capsules were free and clear of the hat. To the extent that is possible (consistent with not looking like an alien with eyestalks), that really would be advisable.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:19:15 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Roving Sign

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 07:33:46 PM »
He may want to try the underutilized "Belushi Pattern"

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 09:17:53 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone!  I actually just left the country for a two week vacation but I will post some samples when I get back.   8)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone!  I actually just left the country for a two week vacation but I will post some samples when I get back.   8)

What Dsatz said is basically the same thing I have said earlier in the thread get as close to the source as possible because the closer you are to the source the less room you will pickup. So if your dead center you want to point both mics at the stacks on stage left and right. That's about all you can do. As far as blocking some of the ports the my mics I would not worry about it to much as long as the hat is not glued to the mics sound will still get into the back ports.

Its not rocket science as some would have to believe.

Chris

Offline rucanips

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sweet Sound
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:43 AM »
I was outside tonight surround by trees in central park, I used Chris' mics tonight for the first time, ca-11 cards in an m10, mic input with plug in power.

I has them positioned on my t shirt, resting towards the back of my neck, approx aim of 110 degrees, and pointed up slightly upwards to the stacks and roughly 6 inches apart. roughly the ORTF Configuration.

Sounds sexy, warm, the bass is clean and hard hitting. no overload one bit, i stayed around -10 db average. so good it went direct to the ipod and a bike ride.

This has always been my preferred way to record, also because its worry free maintenance so i can enjoy the show more like jumping around and the mics will always hover around the optimal direction.

Offline rucanips

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sweet Sound
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 01:59:16 AM »
I was outside tonight surround by trees in central park, I used Chris' mics tonight for the first time, ca-11 cards in an m10, mic input with plug in power.

I has them positioned on my t shirt, resting towards the back of my neck, approx aim of 110 degrees, and pointed up slightly upwards to the stacks and roughly 6 inches apart. roughly the ORTF Configuration.

Sounds sexy, warm, the bass is clean and hard hitting. no overload one bit, i stayed around -10 db average. so good it went direct to the ipod and a bike ride.

This has always been my preferred way to record, also because its worry free maintenance so i can enjoy the show more like jumping around and the mics will always hover around the optimal direction.

[this was really meant for another section, but ill add that the configuration is great indoors in a boomy environment.

Offline rucanips

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sweet Sound
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 12:28:37 AM »
He may want to try the underutilized "Belushi Pattern"

sweet picture, i bet if mics were hung there it would sounds great, probably an omni setup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
Important stuff that often goes misunderstood, so I’m repeating it, and adding a further insight which emphasizes the point DSatz was making (I've added the bold emphasis, because that is the part I'm expanding upon below).  If all these words make your head spin and you could care less about the 'why' and just want the 'what', feel free to skip to the part below the dashed line–

..the A#1 adjustment that needs to be made, and the only one which will be really effective, is to get your microphones distinctly closer to the sound sources. By that, I mean reduce the distance by more than half.

The advice which various people have been giving you about different microphone setups and more sharply directional microphones is not wrong, but it can't help you very much. You already were using cardioids, and cardioids are already about 85% as efficient at suppressing random-incident ("diffuse") sound as hypercardioids would be. If (as it seems) your microphones were at a distance where the sound field itself is mainly made up of reflected sound energy, then by switching to hypercardioids you wouldn't get much audible improvement.

By contrast, if you put your microphones where there's an appropriate mix of direct and reverberant sound energy, then you can make a plausible recording with almost any type (pattern) of microphone.

In sound engineering there is a figure called the "distance factor" for each microphone pattern. It represents the relative distance at which you can record, by comparison to an omnidirectional microphone, and get the same balance of direct and reflected sound as the omni would pick up. The highest "distance factor" you can get with a first-order microphone is only 2.0.

Say that you record with an omnidirectional microphone at a distance of 10 feet from a sound source; you'll get a certain percentage of direct sound and a certain percentage of reflected sound, adding up to 100%. Now take a cardioid microphone instead of the omni, and ("all other things being equal") you can place the cardioid about 17 feet away from the sound source, and the resulting mix of direct vs. reflected sound will be about the same as what the omni picked up at 10 feet. The cardioid pattern has a "distance factor" of 1.7, in other words.

But as I said, the maximum available distance factor is only 2.0 (hypercardioid pattern); the most sharply directional microphone available would let you record at a distance of 20 feet and still get the same balance of direct to reflected sound energy as the omni gave you (though the result would sound rather different for a variety of reasons). And my point is that the difference between cardioid and hypercardioid is just that 15% (3 feet out of 20) in terms of the distance factor. So you can switch to other, more strongly directional microphones, sure--but doing so won't reduce the proportion of room reflections by much.

There is another important thing to consider which further reduces the effectiveness of a more directional microphone’s distance factor when used in typical stereo configurations.  The distance factor of a directional microphone is applicable for sound arriving on-axis.  If your stereo configuration orients the microphones so that they are angled apart as most configurations using directional mics do, then the ‘distance factor’ of the combined stereo pattern is even less than that of each individual microphone.  Taken to a ridiculous extreme, if two cardioids are oriented 180 degrees apart, even though each microphone has an individual distance factor or 1.7, the combined stereo pattern would have a distance factor of only 1.  The only way to make the distance factor for the combined stereo pair equivalent to that of the individual microphones is to point the microphones in the same direction.  That’s one reason I’ve suggested substituting more spacing for less angle between mics when forced to record from farther back than what would be ideal. The extra spacing helps counter the negative aspects of  having a reduced angle between mics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The practical configuration that many arrive at through experience around here without knowing anything about all this distance factor stuff is pretty close to that- Point At Stacks optimizes the distance factor for direct sound from the PA.  The suggestion I would make is to space the mics apart more than I commonly see people doing with PAS when the angle between the mics is relatively small. Doing that will maximize the directivity factor of the microphones for pickup of direct sound from the PA, while using the spacing between the mics to provide a wider stereo image that is less ‘mono’ sounding. 

If you want to get technical about your PAS spacing and know how to read the Stereo Zoom charts, check them for the microphone pickup pattern you are using and the inclusive angle you end up with and the chart will indicate an optimal spacing. 

If you just want a general PAS spacing rule of thumb, then how about this- if your carioids are angled less than 90 degrees apart, space them more than 12”, and if your supercaridoids are less than 90 degrees apart, space them more than 8”.  If you are so far away that the mics end up nearly parallel, then space them like you would omnis, say 2'-3', regardless of their pickup pattern.

In my opinion, the most important statement in the entire thread is below, which bears repeating with enlarged bold emphasis, not because I have anything to add, but simply becaues it's so true! -

There are no miracle microphones that can "reach in" and pick up direct sound from distances where the sound field is primarily diffuse. That's why I'm saying that microphone placement is far more relevant here than any discussion of different microphone types or even of stereo miking arrangements, although they're important.

Like Chris and Bean also emphasised, get the mics closer!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:23:20 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
Always remember in a boomy room get close as you can to the source of sound. The closer you are the better it will sound Hyper or no Hyper that still applies.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »
^^^
That's it in a whole lot less words.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
Something that hasn't been discussed here is using your head as a baffle - think Jecklin disk.

For boomy rooms, with PAs I can't get closed to I tend to use my head as a baffle and orient the mics in a tight anywhere from 30-60 degree pattern.
This has the advantage of cutting down on reflections from the back of the room.  The baffle helps create a bit of stereo effect.

ymmv

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 69 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com