Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeking info on getting started...  (Read 13909 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:Seeking info on getting started...
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2004, 06:19:22 PM »
Ya, bri did a great job putting together a killer taping site!

Offline Fan of Tunes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Music or Design
    • Music List
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »
OK... here's what I got:

Superlux SMK-H8K > Samson MixPad 4 > Nomad JB3

What else?  Other than cables, what else would be a good investment.  

Alex - You pretty much built this for me, so what else would you recommend?  
...thanks mikey

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2004, 09:19:09 PM »
OK, looks like you found the site.

If you're gonna go with the Nomad, and you want to keep it all digital, you're gonna need an accessory between the pre-amp (in your "case", the mixpad) and the recorder (the JB3). The JB3 requires an Optical input - yes, light waves - and you'll need something to convert the signal from the pre-amp to the recorder from analog-to-digital. I believe a company called midiman makes a deal called the C02 coax-optical converter - basically, a little black box that can take a coax input and spit out optical digital -> to your JB3 recorder.
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline Fan of Tunes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Music or Design
    • Music List
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2004, 10:29:50 PM »
yeah... I'm getting there!  Hopefully I will be able to collect all this before the Summer of 04 officially begins!

Other than that piece you mentioned above, and cables (which I will inquire about soon) anything else?

B. Hurley.... how does that setup look to you?  The guy (alex) that has been helping me has been GREAT!  He is sending me some shows recorded with those mics so I can feel them out, and has just been really, really helpful!  This whole site is great!
...thanks mikey

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2004, 11:57:32 PM »
If you're gonna go with the Nomad, and you want to keep it all digital, you're gonna need an accessory between the pre-amp (in your "case", the mixpad) and the recorder (the JB3). The JB3 requires an Optical input - yes, light waves - and you'll need something to convert the signal from the pre-amp to the recorder from analog-to-digital. I believe a company called midiman makes a deal called the C02 coax-optical converter - basically, a little black box that can take a coax input and spit out optical digital -> to your JB3 recorder.

Actually, the CO2 only converts one digital format (coax S/PDIF) to another digital format (optical).  It does not provide analog to digital conversion (ADC).  So, to run a digital input into the JB3 you'll need an external ADC.  (The JB3 has an internal ADC, but you'll achieve higher quality results with an external ADC).  You would run the CO2 between your ADC and the JB3 (if the ADC doesn't have an optical output).

For example, I use a V3 for a preamp and ADC.  My V3 outputs two digital signals: coax S/PDIF and AES/EBU.  I use a digital format converter (Hosa ODL-312) to convert the AES/EBU to an optical signal for the JB3.  Hosa also makes a similar product for converting a coax S/PDIF signal into an optical signal (ODL-276), though I haven't used it.

While some have enjoyed success with the CO2, plenty of people have encountered problems with the [ADC here] > CO2 > JB3 combo.  There are other converter boxes out there which may be more reliable.  Which options are possible depends on the output of your ADC (coax S/PDIF or AES/EBU).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2004, 12:16:26 AM »
let me butt in here...it was said that the jb3 takes optical in just like dat...optical is somewhat uncommon in dat recorders...true they make a 7-pin optical but the majority of folks seem to use coax instead.

secondly, to help clarify what skalinder and hurley said...the mixpad only provides analog outs...it does not convert the signal to digital.  there are some pre-amps that have that feature (ADC) included, such as the v3.  you do not *have* to use an ADC to convert the signal before recording it, however it is highly recommended with the jb3 because of the low quality of it's analog-ins (and subsequently its shitty built-in ADC).

to maximize the quality of your recordings with whatever gear you choose > jb3, get a separate ADC.

that will mean though that you're going to spend more money...probably a few hundred more than you were planning to with the current rig you've mentioned.

of course, these are just some more things to think about, ultimately you'll want to base your decision on what your own ears tell you and what your wallet can handle.  you may not be able to put together the ideal rig right away, but be sure you have done your homework before you start buying stuff.  listen to plenty of tapes, learn about each piece of gear and why you'd want/need it, factor in all the accessories like battery power/cables/stand/mounts/bag that you'll need...

i did some research before putting together my rig but i wasn't at all involved in the taping community, this site wasn't even around yet, and i might have made some different choices had i had all these great resources.  not to say i'm not happy with my tapes, i've pulled some great ones, but i certainly didn't know of all the different options there were available to me!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2004, 12:23:43 AM »
what's the budget? why not ps2->inbox->jb3
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2004, 12:24:38 AM »
what's the budget? why not ps2->inbox->jb3
there ya go
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Fan of Tunes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Music or Design
    • Music List
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2004, 11:43:02 AM »
why not ps2->inbox->jb3

I don't know what either of those are?  Sorry to seem so dumb at this.

So it would be

Superlux > ps2 > inbox > jb3

the ps2 will convert my signal from analog to digital, and the inbox allows me to adjust the levels before storing them in the jb3?

what's the budget?

As far as that goes... at this point, I would rather save money for good pieces of equipment.  I am not saying I am gonna spend 1000's of dollars, BUT I would rather build a good rig slowly over the course of several months and have something thats gonna last and produce great results, as opposed to throwing a bunch of crap together over the next few weeks, only to have it not be what I wanted.

I am very particular with my music collection, and how I keep things in order, SO I have a feeling, once I start building this, I will want it to be to my liking.

So, I plan on visiting this site over, and over, based on everyones feedback, before I buy my mics.  Which I will buy first!

Sound Smart?
...thanks mikey

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2004, 11:47:41 AM »
Superlux > ps2 > inbox > jb3

The Superlux are your mics (obviously).
The PS-2 provides phantom power to the mics.
The Inbox (also known as the AD-20) acts as both a preamp and ADC.
The JB3 is your recording device, simply storing the digital signal provided by the AD-20/Inbox.
Roland R-05

Offline yemncsu

• Taperssection Member
  • Two man enter one man leave!
    • Downhome Groove.com
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2004, 01:10:52 PM »
If Stealthing isn't necessary:

Superlux>Edirol UA-5>JB3

The UA5 can provide phantom power, pre-amplification, and ADC.  They can be had new for ~$300 modded and ready for field use from the oade brothers.
Josh
ADK A-51TL>UA-5>MTII

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2004, 01:31:46 PM »
If Stealthing isn't necessary:

Superlux>Edirol UA-5>JB3

The UA5 can provide phantom power, pre-amplification, and ADC.  They can be had new for ~$300 modded and ready for field use from the oade brothers.

The UA5 is a *great* recommendation if you're not stealthing.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again (much to the chagrin of those tired of so-called UA5 "fluffing"): IMO the UA5 is simply the best value in field recording right now.  Broad feature set, easy to run and power in the field, quality sound, and options for upgrading the quality sound another notch with a preamp mod from the Oade Bros.  There's a reason so many people have picked up the UA5 for taping.
Roland R-05

Offline Fan of Tunes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Music or Design
    • Music List
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2004, 01:33:09 PM »
The Superlux are your mics (obviously).
The PS-2 provides phantom power to the mics.
The Inbox (also known as the AD-20) acts as both a preamp and ADC.
The JB3 is your recording device, simply storing the digital signal provided by the AD-20/Inbox.

I have been doing the the research.  I know about my mics and the JB3, I was just curious about the PS-2 and the inbox.  

Stealthing is not necessary, because everyone whom I will be taping allows it.
...thanks mikey

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2004, 02:39:07 PM »
Stealthing is not necessary, because everyone whom I will be taping allows it.

I'd strongly recommend a digi-mod UA-5, then.  I just posted a UA-5 FAQ in the Archival Info forum.   :)
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2004, 02:41:28 PM »
yes, yes, yes... a digi-mod ua5 and if you can afford one of the preamp upgrades from Oade get that too. that little box is very impressive...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com