Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix using a UA-5  (Read 2270 times)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
Matrix using a UA-5
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »
Do I need 2 bit buckets to do a matrix with the UA-5?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:49:41 AM by deadheadcorey »
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Matrix using a UA-5
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
No.  The UA5 acts similar to a mixer, combining the two front 1/4"|XLR inputs with the two rear RCA inputs:  Front L + Rear L, Front R + Rear R.  You control the relative level of each input separately:  the front inputs have individual channel gain control, the rear inputs have a shared gain control.  The end result is a two-channel digital output.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »
No.  The UA5 acts similar to a mixer, combining the two front 1/4"|XLR inputs with the two rear RCA inputs:  Front L + Rear L, Front R + Rear R.  You control the relative level of each input separately:  the front inputs have individual channel gain control, the rear inputs have a shared gain control.  The end result is a two-channel digital output.

Okay thanks. So really the only thing I have to worry about is possibly a sound delay from the sbd feed?
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:28 AM »

Okay thanks. So really the only thing I have to worry about is possibly a sound delay from the Taper Section Microphone feed?
You can go Stage Lip with your microphones to help with alignment

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »

Okay thanks. So really the only thing I have to worry about is possibly a sound delay from the sbd feed?

Its actually the AUD mics that have the delay.

If you are recording a full SBD mix where you know all the whole band is "in the mix" -  keep the AUD mics a bit lower than the board - just roll them in enough to hear them...but not loud enough to announce them or make them the leading sound. Good for theaters and bigger venues.

If its a partial SBD mix (like vox, keys, acoustic guit) - you are better off trying to get your AUD mics on the stage - and run both as close to maximum as you can. This is a great technique for getting a nice big sound out of little clubs and bar settings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com