Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hi new here-Taping questions  (Read 13822 times)

Offline max4334

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi new here-Taping questions
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
Hi. Glad to be here.

Ill cut right to the chase. I'm taping this saturday's Springsteen concert at metlife stadium in Jersey. This is my first time taping a major concert. Now sure ive recorded shows in the past. But nothing major. My main worry is getting caught. I plan on using a tascam dr-100mkII. I have a somewhat irrational fear of the humiliation of being stopped because I have this in my possession. What is the best place to hide this on my body. Also, once the show starts, how do I keep this well enough out of sight while still being able to record something worthwhile?

Thanks for the help

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: Hi new here-Taping questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
We tend to not talk about stealth techniques here. There are 5 page threads devoted to why.
That being said, it isn't the TSA, and there's a place they won't go. Can you guess what place that is?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

runonce

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:59:38 AM »
I might wait til you are at the venue and scrutinize the entry...are they wanding people? Are guys carrying backpacks in?

Sometimes - this can be easier than you think.

The problem with sneaky concealment - is it looks suspicious if you get caught - and will likely fetch you more attention.

If would favor a more casual way of carrying it in. Girlfriends purse...?

At least if they find it, you can play dumb...vs having it taped next to your package, which is harder to explain.
(a reminder of why its not a good idea to buy used recorders from stealthers! >:D)

And maybe ask over in this thread

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151348.0

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »
Always works for me...

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
It's likely others will be taping, so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1Emb7Jyks

Honestly, it's not that tough. Just use a little common sense.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
You only mentioned the recording device...what about the mikes and battery box or preamp?  If you're only going to try with the Tascam, leave it home and go to the show and enjoy it. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline max4334

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
The preamp and mic on the tascam are good enough for me. I shouldve realized this would be a taboo subject. My apologies.

That being said, if the mystery spot is the groin area then great. I was thinking about hiding it in my shoe, but that would be very uncomfortable to say the least.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
The preamp and mic on the tascam are good enough for me.

If you are within 10 rows or so of a stack you might get an acceptable recording. If you have  a nosebleed seat, take the offered advice and leave the recorder at home and just enjoy the show.

Offline max4334

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
The preamp and mic on the tascam are good enough for me.

If you are within 10 rows or so of a stack you might get an acceptable recording. If you have  a nosebleed seat, take the offered advice and leave the recorder at home and just enjoy the show.

No I have excellent seats. not GA mind you, but very close none the less

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
I had ZERO issues at the Izod Center in the Spring. There was no search at all. I did go in with the GA floor crowd so they may have skipped the search to get us in quicker.

If you want to be extra sure they don't find it and they are doing a pat down, but it in a place where they can't pat you down due to legal reasons (I'll leave it up to you where that might be).

Also as stated before if you don't have external mics, I wouldn't bother. Springsteen in NJ will with 100% certainty be covered by someone with a nice rig from a good spot. I don't have the ideal spot to record in Denver, but I'll probably roll anyway since Springsteen isn't huge here. I did roll last time in NJ because I was in the ideal spot. Saw him a few nights later at MSG and didn't bother because my seats weren't great (side stage) and I knew that at MSG there would be plenty of other tapers (and there were).

The only time I roll for Springsteen is if (a) I have the ideal location or (b) I'm going to a show I'm not sure will be covered.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Often a Tascam DR-2d dropped in your shirt pocket will get you about as good as you are going to get unless you run external preamps and mics. And its cheap too.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline max4334

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »
I had ZERO issues at the Izod Center in the Spring. There was no search at all. I did go in with the GA floor crowd so they may have skipped the search to get us in quicker.

If you want to be extra sure they don't find it and they are doing a pat down, but it in a place where they can't pat you down due to legal reasons (I'll leave it up to you where that might be).

Also as stated before if you don't have external mics, I wouldn't bother. Springsteen in NJ will with 100% certainty be covered by someone with a nice rig from a good spot. I don't have the ideal spot to record in Denver, but I'll probably roll anyway since Springsteen isn't huge here. I did roll last time in NJ because I was in the ideal spot. Saw him a few nights later at MSG and didn't bother because my seats weren't great (side stage) and I knew that at MSG there would be plenty of other tapers (and there were).

The only time I roll for Springsteen is if (a) I have the ideal location or (b) I'm going to a show I'm not sure will be covered.

do you think 131 front row will be good enough? the tickets and me deciding to bootleg were last min decisions. 800 bucks for 4 tickets. yikes! so worth it though.

i already have the dr 100mkII

mfrench

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
do you think 131 front row will be good enough? the tickets and me deciding to bootleg were last min decisions. 800 bucks for 4 tickets. yikes! so worth it though.

A lot of members here freak out at the use of the word bootleg, which actually means you are planning to offer your recording for sale.  Most of us are OK with stealth taping, but not with selling our recordings.

In future, best to use the word tape.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »
If you don't get busted and tossed, the worst case then becomes that you come away with a crappy tape. Best case, you come away with a listenable tape, maybe even a good tape. So if you're confident in not getting caught, go for it.

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com