Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Would you fix a recording by patching from a different show?  (Read 12749 times)

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Would you fix a recording by patching from a different show?
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
To make a long story short as possible,I have a Tedeschi Trucks show where I was the only taper. Local folks always ask me about the recording but I never released it. Some folks on my isle kept walking past and grabbing the mic stand to steady themselves. When I asked them not to to this, they started arguing with me and it is captured perfectly as I was running head high. This happened more than once. FTR, the shortest distance for them to exit was the opposite direction of me. Anyway, Tedeschi Trucks played here again a few months ago and the major disruption happened during a song that they played again this year. I probably couldn't fix them all but def the major 30 sec one. I ran the exact same gear from the exact same location so should I patch the offending parts and release the show or just say forget it? Of course I'd note the patch.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Would you fix a recording by patching from a different show?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
I definitely would not patch from a different show.  It is not related to this performance.

There are three choices as I see it:

1. Not release the show at all and chalk it up to one of those things.
2. Release with the arguing included.  If you believe this puts you in a bad light (arguing with another patron?), then see #1.
3. Cut out the parts with the arguing (fade out/in).  If you believe this makes the listening unacceptable, then see #1.  If this is the only source, I'm not sure it is much different than battery issues/cable issues, etc.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
I think you're right. I'm just tired of people asking me where the show is I guess and was hoping to solve that. I'll just mark it down as one of those things.
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
I don't have any moral opposition to doing so as long as it's well noted, both the time when it happens and the date of the other performance.  But then an optimal listening experience is more important to me than a strictly accurate documentation of an event.  The problem I see is a practical one- I'd expect differences in rhythm, tuning, feel and tone may make the patch a rather obvious one which draws undue attention to itself and may do more harm than it's worth, but that's all speculation.  Doesn't hurt to play around with it to see how well it works before making a decision one way or the other, IMO.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
I definitely would not patch from a different show.  It is not related to this performance.

2. Release with the arguing included.  If you believe this puts you in a bad light (arguing with another patron?), then see #1.
3. Cut out the parts with the arguing (fade out/in).  If you believe this makes the listening unacceptable, then see #1.  If this is the only source, I'm not sure it is much different than battery issues/cable issues, etc.
agree w/ all this.  And I'd say unless, in the cold light of day, you think you were being a jerk, I'd just release it with the arguing and note it in the notes.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »

agree w/ all this.  And I'd say unless, in the cold light of day, you think you were being a jerk, I'd just release it with the arguing and note it in the notes.

This...
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »
In addition to the above options you could just leave out the offending song from the circulated source with a note in the text. 

I would patch missing parts if I had another source for something lost. 

Never really thought too much about the horse's arse factor other than one odd instance.  Some morons were continuously yapping all over the music (and therefore the source).  Unfortunately they were some of the "promoters" and/or their hangers-on.  The chief jackass (who to his credit was not up front yapping) insisted he get a copy of the recording (after first trying to shut me down and convince the artist not to let me record).  I put him off a long time on the copy but he would not give up so finally I isolated the one channel of the four mics I recorded with that his pals had ruined the worse with their idiotic droning and sent him a two-channel mono set of that...  I regret sending anything but ultimately had to do that or risk further to-do with the artist.  Anyway if their conversations were so momentous they might as well hear them as clearly as possible...   Great show but such a lousy experience with enough distractions that I don't think I'll relisten (and I won't circulate since that was part of the argument with the "promoter" - if it does circulate it'll be him that did it). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 01:59:46 PM »
I don't think I come off as a jerk by any means. I held my tongue for quite a while actually. It wasn't until I was concerned about my gear safety that I got into it.  One of the husbands has since apologized for his drunk wife. IMO, the amount, length and volume of it all is too much to overcome to enjoy the show. There was only one extended conversation but 3-4  instances of noise from them grabbing the stand or speaking to me. I've just decided I'll just let it go and chalk it up to one that didn't work out. Thanks for all your opinions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:03:49 PM by fsulloway »
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »
While I'm definitely in the "no" camp as far as patching in, as a collector of TTB shows, including multi-sources when available, I would hope you would release it as is.  I would rather have it with flaws than not have it at all.

Offline vwmule

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »
I wouldn't use a different show. What about fading that section out and fading back in?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
OK .....

I would say the most important thing is to have an enjoyable recording.

So - either patch or remove, or both.  But document the patch.

I have patched a piano recital I recorded once - same piano, same mics, same pianist - totally different venue.

I patched about half a dozen notes from one performance to the other where the pianist made a mistake - you cannot hear the patch at all and it sounds like one continuous performance.

I have to add, that I was employed by the pianist (it was a paying gig) and all was done on the instructions of my client and neither of us could hear the edit at all.

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
Agree with Gutbucket.  Go for it. 

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
I would patch it, or do anything else I needed to make it an enjoyable listen. Reality is all an illusion anyway  ;D

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
...so finally I isolated the one channel of the four mics I recorded with that his pals had ruined the worse with their idiotic droning and sent him a two-channel mono set of that...(...if it does circulate it'll be him that did it).
  :yack: :yack: :zombie03:

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

adrianf74

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »
It's been said and said again in this thread... you basically have a choice of shelving it, releasing it as is, or doing something with the offending track (fading out and back in or dropping it altogether).   If it's a critical show where no other copy exists, I'd say do the last option.  If it's a run of the mill show, with nothing notable going on compared to others from the tour, chalk it up to experience and shelve it.

I've had to do this in cases where I've recorded an artist with permission, and most recently, with board access.  The chattiness of the room made it impossible to do anything with the recording (and the stage mics pick it up clear as day); we then had a group of idiots up at the front yelling right by the front PA next to the omni mics we ran on-stage and then the hypers were back by the board surrounded by friends of the openining act who weren't there for the headliner but insited on yapping.  Suffice to say, the sources of crap = crap. 

You win some, you lose some.  In this case, I'm willing to bet that it's just one of those shows just gets stored away; I just did that with the above-mentioned show.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com