Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First time taper? . . . JB3 + GbV  (Read 13505 times)

Offline barthatronic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
Re:First time taper? . . . JB3 + GbV
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 06:51:26 PM »
Wow, I just priced out ADCs and they're not cheap. I'm thinking I need to start small and see if I can get the hang of this.

What is the going opinion on SBD recordings vs. mic recordings? In a smaller club, will there be loss of some instruments (like drums or bass) which may not be through the board? What about crowd noise? I read some post here that said the best bootlegs are often combinations of SBD + audience mic...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SP-CMC-2  >  SP-SPSB-6  >  JB3

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 06:52:58 PM »
And thanks again to those who've helped me here and via private messages as well. I hope I have some good recordings to share in the near future.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 08:56:58 PM »
Yes - you will not only lose some instruments on a SBD recording in a small place, but some may even be cranked up to the point where everything is out of whack... The SBD+AUD mix is better if you can swing it, but you wouldn't be able to do that with a JB3...you'd have to do it after the fact.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 08:52:37 AM »
If you'll be at Gabe's in Iowa, I wouldn't even consider a SBD (last time I was there all they had was a 1/4" mono out from the board). You'll get a much better sounding recording going straight audience.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »
What about the High Dive in Champaign, IL? Anybody know about their policies, setup, SBD situation? I'm not sure how big a club it is...

I'm going to be at the Dayton show too (which will be my first attempt at recording). I've never heard of this club they're performing at: The Foundry (I went to school in Dayton in the early 90s). Anybody know any details about that venue?

I received my JB3 from the Creative Labs auction on eBay. All seems in order. The JB3 is in perfect condition even though it's in factory packaging and has been refurbed. I'm going to check what firmware it's running. What's the best?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »
I recommend the SP mics over the GS mics because I feel you will have the urge to upgrade less quickly, which I am guessing is a factor here.  And for twice the price, I do honestly think, atleast to my ears, that the sound warrents the purchase.  Hopefully others can back me up to make your mind more at ease.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2004, 03:36:01 PM »
What about the High Dive in Champaign, IL? Anybody know about their policies, setup, SBD situation? I'm not sure how big a club it is...

Sorry, no idea. If at all possible, just bring mics so that you're not worrying about a SBD patch all day pre-show (which I used to do...taping anxiety is such an unforgiving bitch). And I'll back up Schwill and many others on this board....if you throw down for the SP mics, you won't regret it.

I received my JB3 from the Creative Labs auction on eBay. All seems in order. The JB3 is in perfect condition even though it's in factory packaging and has been refurbed. I'm going to check what firmware it's running. What's the best?

I run 1.32.01, and it works just fine for me. I get levels running line in and optical in.
+T for jumping in and getting some of this GBV on tape! It'll be nice to have someone with something more than a hand held single point mic and a mini disc in the crowd to capture the event. Have fun!

TB, off to tape Acid Mothers Temple in a few hours......
Coffee is for Closers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »
I'm convinced about the mic choice. Seems it's a common thread (no pun intended) on these forums about those mics for multi-purpose usage. Going to scrape together the disposable income and take the plunge. I'm hoping that whole "upgrade" bug doesn't hit me too soon after. Thanks again for the help. So WITH clips and WITH battery box and WITH Bass roll-off, right?

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2004, 04:04:01 PM »
So WITH clips and WITH battery box and WITH Bass roll-off, right?

def yes to battery box with bass roll-off.  clips are up to you!
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2004, 04:09:58 PM »
I'm hoping that whole "upgrade" bug doesn't hit me too soon after.

(In my best Jerry Seinfeld) "Good Luck with all that...."

Seriously, though, upgrades are all up to you. Get as far "into" it as you want. The setup you're talking about will yield many great tapes, so.....

So WITH clips and WITH battery box and WITH Bass roll-off, right?

The SP mics I used had clips on them, but I never used em. Many a true stealth taper will tell you to eschew clips. I'd save the scratch. You Will definitely want bass rolloff, though. You'll be happier you did once you listen back to the opening bass lines of "A Salty Salute".....
Coffee is for Closers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2004, 05:23:39 PM »
OK, without the clips, what's the best mounting option? I just want to be totally prepared and the first show I need to capture is next weekend...

Going to try to practice on a show locally this week... if I can get the mics in time.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2004, 05:47:19 PM »
well, SP should ship your mics with some little windscreens that the mics themselves will fit into. You can either duct tape the mics to a pole, drink rail or a sober buddy. Barring that, I have a pose-able T bar that I got from SP back in the day that I could let you use for the gigs. It is a 5/8 thread, and screws into the top of most regular mic stands.

On the cheap side, you could make a stand yourself, or just nab a regular old mic stand used from a music store (or are there any in the loaner program?)....not trying to make you too ghetto, but....I'm assuming you don't want to throw down bucks on a Bogen stand...

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up if ya want.
Coffee is for Closers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2004, 03:06:46 PM »
I'm really interested in the T-bar... got a link to the description? How much success have you had with that "ghetto" set up? Doesn't really sound so bad to me.

I'm wondering about placement still and some issues with setup. Do you all just leave your gear somewhere near the soundboard and then go about business as usual? Where is the best place to setup the mics (a sweet spot or "taper's section") and what can you do to ensure safety and quality? I'm wondering what others have done/do...

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2004, 01:00:55 AM »
What settings for the bass roll-off? The Sound Professionals battery box with bass roll-off has user selectable settings of: 69Hz, 95Hz, 107Hz, 160Hz, 195Hz and 888Hz. What's the right setting to use? Will it differ in different sized clubs or depend on where you record from?

I'm still hoping some one will post information about mic placement and/or set up. Is there a good online resource to check for more info on this?

Thanks again...

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2004, 09:15:30 PM »
I used 69 and 95 when I had them.

I wear all the gear on me.  Mics are in a hat.  They run up my back to a backwards baseball cap.  I have a small slit in the sweat ban and the mics run along that.  I keep them even on both sides, but depending on how far away from the music source I am, I change the angle of the mics relative to facing forward accordingly.  If I'm really close to the source I move the mics more towards the back of my head so there is a wider angle of pick-up.  However, for Primus the other night I was pretty far away so I ran them mor straight forward.  I would keep the battery box in one pocket and the recorder in another.   Unfortunately, you shouldn't move your head to much with this setup, but it is the cheapest :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com