Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First time taper? . . . JB3 + GbV  (Read 13499 times)

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:First time taper? . . . JB3 + GbV
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 10:05:09 PM »
I used 69 and 95 when I had them.

would you run 95 for primus--shwilly?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 10:40:41 PM »
I used 69 and 95 when I had them.

would you run 95 for primus--shwilly?

I didn't run any roll-off for primus.  The bass thumps and I love it :)

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2004, 02:17:08 AM »
I ordered the SP mics today (with mini battery pack and bass roll-off). I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend in Dayton at the GbV show. Thanks to all who helped so much...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SP-CMC-2  >  SP-SPSB-6  >  JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 02:18:00 AM »
gl/hf!

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 06:03:07 AM »
+T for you, good luck taping.

Are you stealthing or using a stand?

With the CMC2s + SP battery box I generally use 95-160Hz bass roll off, depending on how bassy the performance is / how close I am to stage (most of the time its 107Hz), the only time I use 16Hz (no bass roll off) is for acoustic shows.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2004, 01:39:01 AM »
Looks like I'll have to go stealth. On good info, I've heard this show will be NO AUDIO/NO VIDEO allowed. This complicates things as I'm not sure how to "stealth". I'll figure it out, I guess. I'll need the luck.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2004, 06:28:57 AM »
Looks like I'll have to go stealth. On good info, I've heard this show will be NO AUDIO/NO VIDEO allowed. This complicates things as I'm not sure how to "stealth". I'll figure it out, I guess. I'll need the luck.

Its not so hard - can you practice beforehand on a local band?

I recommend:

-lots of 'dry runs' to familiarise yourself with the equipment.

-check connections are tight (and stay that way), and that you have levels in both channels.

-I mount the mics on a stiff collar, facing towards the speakers, however this is up to you, do whatever you are comfy with. IMO people do not spot those tiny mics, particularly if you wear lots of black clothing.
I run mic leads down inside of T-shirt to battery box (clipped on waist), and battery box lead to Nomad in jacket pocket.

-Set the Nomad to no EAX, no remote, low volume, no gain required. Turn off the backlight, it'll suck juice.
-Take the following: Mini maglite
-Optional: mirror to check mic position (I kid you not), friends to block you either side, earplugs.
-Don't let the Nomad overheat, ventilate it a little.

Good luck!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2004, 12:43:42 PM »
I really appreciate the tips Humbug. Good information to know.

Just an aside and maybe a warning for those who wait until the last minute... a bit of frustration on my end: If you order stuff from Sound Professionals, don't expect them to ship it until the next day. Apparently any order received after 10AM Eastern time is too late to go out that day, even if it's just a few minutes after 10AM. I'm still waiting on my FedEx 2-Day shipment from them that didn't go out until the day after I ordered (and after talking to them on the phone too). I wish I would have been warned about the shipping delay... I would have overnighted it. Shit.

Gotta leave for the show with no mics in tow (this time). Sad day for me... maybe Radio Shack will have something I can use... bleh.

sml42

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2004, 11:09:37 AM »
On the subject of the jukebox3... be sure to enable the button lock feature while you are recording! (tap the power button once to bring up the button lock menu... when locked tap the power button twice to bring up the backlight).  All this info plus more is on the jb3 FAQs here.

And like the idiot I am, I didn't read the FAQs properly until AFTER I fucked up my first recording... :-p

best regards,
stephen

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
JB3 + GbV = AWESOME RECORDING
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2004, 01:46:34 PM »
Okay, so I blew off a meeting and fucked up my work day, but I waited for the mics to arrive. I'm glad I did. Those mics rock. I can't believe it.

I had to sneak all my stuff into the show even though the security was light, the club was not taper (or fan, for that matter) friendly. Standing halfway between the stage and the soundboard (which looked like a "sweet" spot), I wore the mics on my shoulders clipped to my backpack straps (which worked rather well, in fact), aimed a bit up and out. The main problem with that was that I only had access to the JB3 at the beginning of the show. But the recording turned out so much better than I could have imagined.

If only I had anticipated 4 encores (!) and a 3.5 hour show, I might have thought to stop recording half way through the show and start it up again. Maybe next time.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It's awesome that I've been able to do this based on the help from this web site (and the users and links from it) alone. AMAZING. You all totally rock.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 02:14:36 PM by barthatronic »

Offline formengr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2004, 02:32:37 PM »
+T for the 1st show!

Get the extra battery & your record time woes will be covered my friend.
participo ergo sum
evrything in its right place

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2004, 03:07:57 PM »
You know, my battery didn't give up (I only have one now) on me until PLAYING the recording the next day. Great battery mileage, truly. However, you can only record 2:59:59 at a time and that's what I did. I need to break it up a bit next time.

Also, just for info, I used the bass roll-off at 95Hz. Seems to have worked well, although I have nothing to comare it to.

I also followed all of Humbug's advice for stealthing... great tips. I used gaffer's tape to secure the cables together just in case. Wore dark clothes. Ventilated the JB3. Turned off all the unnecessary features/functions. Worked great.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2004, 05:11:37 PM »
another satisfied customer!

Offline formengr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2004, 09:13:44 PM »
+3 hours?  Wow!  Long set.
participo ergo sum
evrything in its right place

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
Now what do I do? How would you share Guided by Voices?
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2004, 01:24:47 AM »
Although I've asked more than my share of questions here (and I'm truly amazed at the help and quick response I've received), I've got a couple more and they're still FILE UNDER: FIRST TIMER.

Anyway, now that I've got my GbV recording (alas, the first of a limited to 2004 show collection), what can I do with it? I've listened to it completely now and it seems a bit bass heavy (maybe a higher bass roll-off setting would have helped?). Some of that is because of the venue I'm sure, but I'm wondering if I can fix any of that using software. What do you usually use? How do you decide to break it up (make tracks)? Do you include the whole recording (including drunken rambling and piss breaks)? What are the next steps to follow? Any other tips or tricks? Suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking that I'll post it to SharingtheGroove.com after I'm done. Any other good places to offer it up for trade?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com