Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First time taper? . . . JB3 + GbV  (Read 13500 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: First time taper? . . . JB3 + GbV
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2004, 03:53:38 AM »
good stuff, welocome to the recording werld, its quite phun leaving w/ a GREAT uncut copy too!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Now what do I do? How would you share Guided by Voices?
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »
Although I've asked more than my share of questions here (and I'm truly amazed at the help and quick response I've received), I've got a couple more and they're still FILE UNDER: FIRST TIMER.

Anyway, now that I've got my GbV recording (alas, the first of a limited to 2004 show collection), what can I do with it? I've listened to it completely now and it seems a bit bass heavy (maybe a higher bass roll-off setting would have helped?). Some of that is because of the venue I'm sure, but I'm wondering if I can fix any of that using software. What do you usually use? How do you decide to break it up (make tracks)? Do you include the whole recording (including drunken rambling and piss breaks)? What are the next steps to follow? Any other tips or tricks? Suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking that I'll post it to SharingtheGroove.com after I'm done. Any other good places to offer it up for trade?

Glad to hear it came out OK.

I use Cooledit 2000 (whats it called now?) for general editing, but there are several programs that will do the job. I usually cut off the beginning of the track, starting the recording when the band come on stage. Mostly all I do is fade-ins and fade-outs, and boosting the volume. You can use a bass filter, but be cautious with its use as it is more likely to make the recording worse than better. Lots of experimentation is recommended.

Tracking: Suggest you only use CD Wave:
http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~mjmlooijmans/cdwave/
Suggest you track the show with cue points just before the music starts for each song.

Bit Torrenting: Sharingthegroove is OK (I use it), but the majority of users are leeching sods. bt.etree is better for bands that allow taping (most of the bands I record don't).
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline barthatronic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004, 05:19:28 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'm looking for software to use with my Mac. Any suggestions? (Please don't start in on some kind of anti-mac flaming...)

Also, how can I give credit to those who have helped me? The whole tickets thing is great, but how/when do you use it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SP-CMC-2  >  SP-SPSB-6  >  JB3

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
Stands?
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2004, 01:24:03 AM »
I just got the okay from GbV's touring manager to record the next 2 live shows, so now I'm thinking I need a stand. Some of you have mentioned using a "t-bar" type stand with these mics. What's the best place to get this? Any other reccomendations on stands? I'm wondering if there's ever any problems with putting stands up; specifically, other audience members messing with your shit. Tips?

There's a possibility that I'll have soundboard access as well. I'm trying to figure out which cables I'll need. I may just call the club and see.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
Re: Stands?
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2004, 10:45:14 AM »
I just got the okay from GbV's touring manager to record the next 2 live shows, so now I'm thinking I need a stand. Some of you have mentioned using a "t-bar" type stand with these mics. What's the best place to get this? Any other reccomendations on stands? I'm wondering if there's ever any problems with putting stands up; specifically, other audience members messing with your shit. Tips?

I believe there are a few stands for sale in the Yard Sale right now. Make sure you bring Duct tape to adhere your stand to the floor (I should listen to my own advice sometimes...forgot my roll of tape at last sunday's GBV show :P)

There's a possibility that I'll have soundboard access as well. I'm trying to figure out which cables I'll need. I may just call the club and see.

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20335.0

This should cover your cable needs, although I'd make sure you have enough adapters to handle anything. 1/4" ->RCA is always good, as are RCA->1/8". Good luck!

One more link. I read this way back when I first started, and it still holds true, I think. From the invaluable "Bands That Allow Taping" page....

http://btat.wagnerone.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=4d41637986bd85343f10088f9578d75a;act=ST;f=1;t=1;r=1;&#top

« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:49:30 AM by Tony B »
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »
What about my questions about stand etiquette? Anyone have issues with that? Is there a good way to set this up where you still get great sound and also don't piss off other show goers?

Thanks for the tip about the duct tape. Good to know. I read those tips about soundboards and entry (someone sent me there before) and they're valuable as well. I'm going to call in to the venue, per that advice, next week just to check things out.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2004, 06:38:49 PM »
What about my questions about stand etiquette? Anyone have issues with that? Is there a good way to set this up where you still get great sound and also don't piss off other show goers?

If you're going to "piss" anyone off with a stand, it'll be the staff at the place you're taping. They're the ones who do the most moving on the floor, in my experience. Just be as discrete as you can. If the venue allows taping, chances are they've seen a stand or two in the crowd. With smaller venues, it's best to do a quick walkthrough to see if you can locate some sort of "image" center for the sound, and set up there. See what sounds the best to your ears given the set-up of the PA, the room dynamics, where it'll be easy to tuck and protect your gear, etc...If all else fails, just tuck your stand as close against the soundbard as you can (making sure that's cool with the soundguy/gal, of course). Duct tape the bastard down and get ready to do a little blocking against people who think your stand is a crutch to help them maneuver in the crowd.
Coffee is for Closers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
Re: Stands?
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2004, 02:28:26 AM »
I believe there are a few stands for sale in the Yard Sale right now.

What would you recommend? I can't seem to only search for stands in that area... what brand/style is best?

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2004, 11:59:33 AM »
well, I love my Bogen stand. They're available in a multitude of heights from sonicsense.com. Barring that, I taped for years using a basic "onstage" mic stand, available at any music retailer. Heavy as a bastard, but it did double as a club a couple times when I taped rock shows in Chicago :P

Re: the yardsale, this should work quite nicely...great price too.
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20318.0

Basically, don't get too worked up about a stand. Seeing as how you need one sooner rather than later, I'd just get what works.

Re: T Bar, I used this one from SProfessionals for a long time as well. I still have it, actually. It's meant to accept the exact kind of mics you just bought (using the windscreens that came with your mics). 5/8" thread screws onto most every stand you can buy.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=360&item=SP-DTS-12&type=store

So. There you go. More money to spend....But, you'll be really happy once you elevate those mics up above the heads of the masses. It cuts chatter/broken beer bottle sounds down by 85%, at least.

If they don't play "Weed King" this last tour I'm gonna go up and kick Pollard in the nuts.

EDIT: Oh, and the "tickets" thing is explained in the archives. You can't give em or take em till you have 50 posts. It's kind of fun, though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 12:01:53 PM by Tony B »
Coffee is for Closers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2004, 04:32:49 AM »
Thanks again Tony.

And thanks to all who gave me a hand. I guess I should let this thread die... it was so helpful, I really appreciate it.

See you at the show.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 04:48:05 AM by barthatronic »

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
T-Bar info correction
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2004, 01:22:27 PM »
Re: T Bar, I used this one from SProfessionals for a long time as well. I still have it, actually. It's meant to accept the exact kind of mics you just bought (using the windscreens that came with your mics). 5/8" thread screws onto most every stand you can buy.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=360&item=SP-DTS-12&type=store
Just a posterity post... that linked t-bar is not the correct part. The SP-DTS-12 is essentially just 5 pieces -- the t-bar and a threaded bolt with adapter on each end. There is no picture at Sound Professionals (although it looks a lot like the bottom part of the SP-DTS-11 listing). It also has a label that says "St. Louis Stage Hardware".

I believe this is the correct t-bar for the SP mics (the posable bar TonyB mentions early in this thread):
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-1
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 02:02:34 PM by barthatronic »

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2004, 01:24:31 PM »
This is correct. I, unfortunately, and completely wrong. I'm learning to deal with it. :P
Coffee is for Closers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2004, 02:06:02 PM »
This is correct. I, unfortunately, and completely wrong. I'm learning to deal with it. :P
Tony, you've been an awesome help (regardless of this one flub ;) ). I couldn't have done it as easily without your advice. Thanks again. See you at the GbV shows...

p.s. There's new stuff on SharingtheGroove right now. Not my stuff yet, but stuff you might want (did you ever hear Homosexual Flypaper?).

Offline ericlered

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2004, 02:23:26 PM »
i have just read this thread and am considering buying jb3, spcmc 4's and the batt box. could you post on here when you post ur show to stg so i could get an idea of quality

cheers

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2004, 02:31:25 PM »
could you post on here when you post ur show to stg so i could get an idea of quality

Sure thing. I'm hoping to get them up before the end of the month. I'll post back when it's up... Probably the High Dive in Champaign, IL first.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com