Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sound terms/definitions  (Read 2534 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
sound terms/definitions
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:20:01 AM »
ok this one i couldn't figure out how to search at all without getting tons of non matching posts
so hope this is new

can someone tell me the difference between warm, transparent, and the other terms used to describe the sound of mics/pres and such

clean, crisp, muddy are the only terms i really know and understand what it means
thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline adubphoto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
Re: sound terms/definitions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:34:49 AM »
Are you refering to the different Mods that Oade does? Here are the different descriptions of Oade's Mods for the UA5. (Warm/Presence/Transparency/PLUS)

http://oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/Edirol_UA5.html

The second series of MODs add an analog input rebuild. This replaces the input capacitors, which are SMD electrolytic ( higher distortion and noise) with SMD film caps ( lower distortion and noise) as well as the input Op Amps. We use very high grade, very low noise Op Amps for this, chosen by ear for a natural and pleasing sound.

Three versions are available to suit the tastes and needs of any recordist.

The first is the Warm MOD © which gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character. Tube like in character with a huge soundstage that satisfies the tube lover !

The second "flavor" available is the Presence MOD©, chosen by ear for a maximum clarity and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail.

The third version available is the Transparency MOD©, chosen by ear for a neutrality, speed and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a very fast and clean sound that accurately conveys the character of the source. All three MODs disable the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the front panel XLR's and rear panel RCA inputs intact. For computer only use, any of the three analog input MODs can be ordered without the digital output MOD.

We also offer a PLUS MOD that can be applied to any of the three analog input MODs. This further reduces noise and distortions in the UA5 by improving the DC supplies, phantom power and RCA inputs.

I hope that Helps!
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

Offline willndmb

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 12:40:18 PM »
those were some, the presence and transparency were 2 i really had no clue about
thanks
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 04:03:01 PM »
those were some, the presence and transparency were 2 i really had no clue about
thanks

When gear is refered to as transparent, it does very little to change the sound. What you hear is very true to the original sound. Gear with a stronger presence is boosting things in the higher frequencies, so as to add a sharper image and sense of space and detail(as higher frequencies are more directional). Warmer grear. on the opposite side, adds to the bass response, providing a more relaxed sound.

If you can relate to why some people prefer vinyl, or tube amps and refer to digital sources as dry or sterile, you'll see same type of preference in warm or present gear.

JAson

Edit to add that those characteristics apply to all the gear we use for recording and playback, and that a balance of all three will give the best results(most of the time) Keep in mind that it depends on what you like to hear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 04:05:56 PM by bhtoque »
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »
well lets say i had a ua5 and had a mod option
what would give me the sound compaired to a v3?

just wondering because i love the sound eric naylor gets using akg481 > v3 > dap1
and if i get some akg 391 they would be a upgrade for me, just wondering what mod would give a better all around sound to what my ears like
thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 10:24:35 PM »
what would give me the sound compaired to a v3?

I think the warm mod sounds most like the V3, and I suspect the PLUS mod would take it substantially closer to the V3 than the regular warm mod.

The presence mod sounds more like the Apogee gear to me - more hyped, not as natural, but with a certain sound a lot of people really like.

The transparent PLUS mod...well, not sure what other gear that one sounds like!  But I can say I love it with my AKG C414s, and I plan on trying it out soon with my Schoeps caps.  I've not used or heard a pre commonly used by tapers that sounds as clean and transparent to my ears.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:26:46 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 01:33:34 PM »
The transparent PLUS mod... I've not used or heard a pre commonly used by tapers that sounds as clean and transparent to my ears.

that's quite a statement! looking forward to hearing your Allison Krauss :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com