Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping a marching band  (Read 6225 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping a marching band
« on: September 24, 2006, 01:47:18 PM »
I am open taping a marching band Monday night at a local exhibition with my stealth rig, since it's all I have (SP-CMC-2>SP-SPSB-8>iRiver h120). The exhibition is at a local high school's football stadium, so I'm guessing the bleachers will be average sized for a high school.

So what's the best way to do this? I've got a stand and everything else I may need, but I'm clueless about where to set up and what kind of angles to use. It's a college band, meaning 350+ people marching on-field with a full pit section in the very front of the field. Any ideas or recommendations? Anything would be helpful honestly. Thanks!

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Taping a marching band
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:41:10 AM »
As a former band fag extrodinairre I recommend setting up on the 50 yard line at least 1/2 way up the bleachers, further if they are small. There's a lot of sound that come off of the field for a good corp, and it comes from everywhere too.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »
As a former band fag extrodinairre I recommend setting up on the 50 yard line at least 1/2 way up the bleachers, further if they are small. There's a lot of sound that come off of the field for a good corp, and it comes from everywhere too.

you were a band fag?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:23:22 AM »

you were a band fag?

I was king of the band fags dude. marching band, symphonic wind ensemble, percussion ensenble, indoor drum line, jazz band..... and i had friends outside of the band room, so all the underclassmen though i was the shiite. silly band fags.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 11:27:51 AM »
shane, how did band camp treat ya, i can see you as one of those guys bringing an inflatable pool and lounging in it between practices...lol

me on the other hand, i would go by band camp in between football practices and ask:

"I have seem to lost my rusty trombone, has anybody seen it?"

or other key phrases that most certainly included "rusty trombone"

"Hey, how many rusty trombone players are there in the band this year?"

and the younger kids would be lke "uhhh, we arent really sure."

;D     I amuse myself waaayyyy tooo easily.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 11:34:52 AM »

you were a band fag?

I was king of the band fags dude. marching band, symphonic wind ensemble, percussion ensenble, indoor drum line, jazz band..... and i had friends outside of the band room, so all the underclassmen though i was the shiite. silly band fags.

were you drummer in all of them, what else did you play?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 11:53:52 AM »
shane, how did band camp treat ya, i can see you as one of those guys bringing an inflatable pool and lounging in it between practices...lol

I just kind of hung out with the instructors when we weren't practicing... talking about Jetro Tull and taping up blisters!

you were a band fag?

were you drummer in all of them, what else did you play?

Just percussion. One year I was in the pit in marching band and I had an entire 4x8' cart full of stuff. Bells, toms, hand percussion, chimes, cymbols out the wazoo, gongs... we did Borgy and Bess that year. I got to write half of my own parts for that show.

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 12:28:33 PM »
i gotta see pics of you in a band uni
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »
I have this same opportunity.. The band director at my son's high school knows we tape and asked if we could tape an upcoming competition. I feel comfortable with where to tape from.. but I'm wondering about caps - hypers or cards - I'm leaning towards cards.. and mic config - thinking ORTF.. any thoughts - all advice or help welcome..

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline willyjbrown

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:05:13 PM »
I used my little stealth rig with a mic stand and slanted the mics in around 30 degrees or so and it turned out great in my opinion. If anyone would like to hear it, let me know. The 3 songs from the band's halftime show that they performed were Star Spangled Overture, Adagio For Strings, and Fanfare For The Common Man.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
I have seen/ heard many marching bands in competitions and in parades and have thought about how best to record them. I have had two ideas. I prefer to see/ hear bands like this when they are marching in a parade. So, I think for a parade I'd set up a pair of spaced (2-3 feet max) omnis on the parade route, to get the same feeling/ sound as a stationary observer would experience.

My experience being in the bleechers watching bands on a football field has been that it doesn't sound so good up there. So, I'd try cardioids in the first row of bleechers or maybe even closer.

I guess it all depends on what sonic effect you are trying to replicate. There's a lot of sound coming from a lot of different places in those band competitons. Being outside, there is lots of reflected sound too.

Ultimately, I think it's a very difficult thing to try to record accurately. I'd love to hear anyones recording efforts as this type of music is often disregarded and minimalized by those who are not close to it. When performed well, this music can be as moving and inspirational as any music made.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »
I have this same opportunity.. The band director at my son's high school knows we tape and asked if we could tape an upcoming competition. I feel comfortable with where to tape from.. but I'm wondering about caps - hypers or cards - I'm leaning towards cards.. and mic config - thinking ORTF.. any thoughts - all advice or help welcome..

Jeff

What type of mics?

I don't know if your configuration would be that inportant in this situation (I know, flame away) just because of the huge soundstage that is being presented in front of you (if you're taping from farther back that is).

My experience being in the bleechers watching bands on a football field has been that it doesn't sound so good up there. So, I'd try cardioids in the first row of bleechers or maybe even closer.

I respectfully have to disagree Chuck. Anything too close is going to get hardly anything but the pit and whatever section's drill has them past the front hash. I've never really thought about how something like BOA is recorded, but I'd be willing to bet there are a ton of mics up for one of those. I firmly believe the best way to capture a good representation with two mics is from some distance where you have a balance between the sections. Again, just my thought after spending years listening to and playing in these situations. YMMV

I used my little stealth rig with a mic stand and slanted the mics in around 30 degrees or so and it turned out great in my opinion. If anyone would like to hear it, let me know. The 3 songs from the band's halftime show that they performed were Star Spangled Overture, Adagio For Strings, and Fanfare For The Common Man.

I'd like to hear the Fanfare. What type of band? H.S., college, or corp?

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 09:46:54 PM »
AKG 481's or 3's.. again - I am leaning towards the cards.. high school band competition in a statium - about 250 members - large pit - lots of music from lots of places - always moving..  Usually lots of crowd noise until the routine starts and then fairly quiet..

J
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:46:24 PM »
AKG 481's or 3's.. again - I am leaning towards the cards.. high school band competition in a statium - about 250 members - large pit - lots of music from lots of places - always moving..  Usually lots of crowd noise until the routine starts and then fairly quiet..

J

Oh yeah.. I guess it says so right there in your sig...

I'd probably go with cards as well, but mostly (if you're in the crowd) to keep the chit chat from the rear lobe to a minimum. Honestly, the best way to figure out where to tape from would be to scope it out beforehand and listen from 3 or four different distances up from the field and find the closest location that you don't notice the drill moves making a difference in the overall mix.

Offline willyjbrown

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 01:04:28 AM »
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S7VTQT3J

Here's an .mp3 of Georgia Tech's marching band performing Fanfare (with a tag written for the end of the show). This was at a high school exhibition in Gwinnett County (north Atlanta). I'm a sophomore at Tech and I march in the band, but I had an alternate marching my spot for the night. The director didn't have anything left for me to do, so I just told him I'd bring my rig and tape it so everybody in the band could hear what we actually sound like when sitting in the middle of the crowd.

I will post the other 2 songs from our halftime show if you'd like. Also, I only posted .mp3 as opposed to .flac simply because I already had everything uploaded for people in the band to hear. I can post .flac if somebody would like.

Let me know what you think, both of the recording and the performance!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com