Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ear Plugs  (Read 12540 times)

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
Ear Plugs
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:23:44 AM »
I am thinking about geting a good set of Ear Plugs. I am look to spend like $100 to $150. Or would it be the best just to go to a ear doc and get them fit just for me.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Ear Plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:56:42 AM »
I am thinking about geting a good set of Ear Plugs. I am look to spend like $100 to $150. Or would it be the best just to go to a ear doc and get them fit just for me.

Excellent idea!  For $100-$150, you should be able to get a custom-molded pair from an audiologist.  I use the Etymotic ER-15 filters in my custom molds.  Check out audiologists in your area.  You may also find some useful information in the Hearing News thread.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »

-Brian

We have audiologist that checks our ears each year at work. She fit me with a pair and they are excellent. Hot Pink so if I drop them at a show I can see them easily...her suggestion. Work paid for them but she said she would fit my wife for $60. They are way more comfortable then the foam jobs. Good for sharing a room with a snorer.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:35:20 AM »

Excellent idea!  For $100-$150, you should be able to get a custom-molded pair from an audiologist.  I use the Etymotic ER-15 filters in my custom molds.  Check out audiologists in your area.  You may also find some useful information in the Hearing News thread.

Exactly.

I finally got my molded pair for 130 bucks or you can get the 15 dollar ones http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx which also work quite well. The molded ones rock though if you want to drop the scratch on them ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »
Without a doubt, spend the $150 on a custom molded pair....but, when you go to the Audiologist, make sure he has fitted musicians before. I say that because a few years ago I needed a new pair and went to the closest guy I could find and he made me a pair the size of hearing aids. They were huge, ugly, and not very comfortable. My suggestion is to have him make you a pair with a little "tab" on them so they are easier to remove. I'm not so sure I'd personally go with pink......but maybe a nice shade of saftey orange.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:47:13 AM »
I'm comfortable with my feminine side.  ;)
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »
Dose any know if all the custom ones use filters.(I use the Etymotic ER-15 filters in my custom molds.) that looks like it would be cool to have a filter that would work in big rooms and also in small room to. That way you can get the best out of all the show you go to.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Without a doubt, spend the $150 on a custom molded pair....

I have to respectfully disagree with rokpunk here, I have a set of custom molded plugs that I just got a few months ago, and I was fitted by the president of the largest manufacturer of custom molds in the country. She even made the plugs herself, so they are done correctly and fit great but, for years I've been using the Ety ER20 style plugs:

or you can get the 15 dollar ones http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx which also work quite well.

and I can't discern that much of a difference. In fact, the ER20s actually attenuate a little more than my custom plugs with 25db filters due to the fact that I'm not shy about jamming them pretty tightly in my ears.

In my case, because I'm doing some prototype testing for the company I got my plugs from I got them for $50, and it was definitely $50 well spent, if for no other reason than to be able to give them a head to head comparison. The custom plugs do have a noticeably better frequency response, but unless you have the dough to toss around, I suggest staying with the $15 ER20s.

My $.02
Shane
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »
Dose any know if all the custom ones use filters.(I use the Etymotic ER-15 filters in my custom molds.) that looks like it would be cool to have a filter that would work in big rooms and also in small room to. That way you can get the best out of all the show you go to.

There are multiple custom earplug designs. For instance, I have one for industrial use (when I'm in a plant around loud machines). Thos don't use the same filters as the musicians plugs do. But, the musicians plugs have 3 filter choices - 9, 15, and 25dB - which would allow you to customize based on the room/type of music.

I have no idea on additional filter cost, as my brother is an audiologist and I get my stuff at cost. He's at a government facility, which are under contracts, so he doesn't know what cost end-users pay either.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »

I have to respectfully disagree with rokpunk here, I have a set of custom molded plugs that I just got a few months ago, and I was fitted by the president of the largest manufacturer of custom molds in the country. She even made the plugs herself, so they are done correctly and fit great but, for years I've been using the Ety ER20 style plugs:

or you can get the 15 dollar ones http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx which also work quite well.

and I can't discern that much of a difference. In fact, the ER20s actually attenuate a little more than my custom plugs with 25db filters due to the fact that I'm not shy about jamming them pretty tightly in my ears.

In my case, because I'm doing some prototype testing for the company I got my plugs from I got them for $50, and it was definitely $50 well spent, if for no other reason than to be able to give them a head to head comparison. The custom plugs do have a noticeably better frequency response, but unless you have the dough to toss around, I suggest staying with the $15 ER20s.

My $.02
Shane

Do you mix in -25db earplugs?
I couldn't do that.....I use the -9db's when mixing monitors, and will stick the -15's in if it's a really loud show. I think the frequency response is pretty damn good on the -9's and -15's, but I've never used a -25.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:07 PM »

My $.02
Shane

Do you mix in -25db earplugs?
I couldn't do that.....I use the -9db's when mixing monitors, and will stick the -15's in if it's a really loud show. I think the frequency response is pretty damn good on the -9's and -15's, but I've never used a -25.

Yep, sure do. I won't leave them in all show though. I'm doing the FOH/monitor shuffle, so after a few songs and everything is sussed out I'll pop 'em in. I pull them out pretty regularly though if something starts bothering me or if I have instrumentation changes. If the show is really loud though, they are in more often than not.

Edit to add: I am in a really small room though, keeps the relative SPL pretty high. :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:14:05 PM by anodyne33 »
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
i have been using the form ones, but i am tired of rolling them and having my ears glow orange :)

can you guys tell me, is -20db good?
i know a lot of people use these http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx
and they have ones LIKE them at my local store BUT the ones they have are lower/higher in DB rating

so can someone tell me the db rating that would be overall best for shows like dave matthews band, moe, wide spread panic?
thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
My audiologist indicated my -15 dB musicians earplugs (custom molds with Etymotic filters) are just fine for my concert-going.  I'd say -15 to -20 dB should be fine.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 01:05:56 PM »
My audiologist indicated my -15 dB musicians earplugs (custom molds with Etymotic filters) are just fine for my concert-going.  I'd say -15 to -20 dB should be fine.
thanks brian for the info and fast reply +t
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
I use custom fitted Westone plugs with -15db filters.  I believe there's a link through Etymotic's site.

They are easily the best fitting and most comfortable earplugs I've ever used.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com