Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the point of recording at 48/96...  (Read 12006 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What's the point of recording at 48/96...
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2007, 04:25:21 AM »
So why do we not record in analog?

Is it just because a digital recording is easy to get onto a PC for editing?

There are many reasons why. Number one reason is nobody wants to use tape anymore.. Number two reason Nobody wants to use tape anymore :) And yes Analog has to be transferred in real time.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »
So why do we not record in analog?

Is it just because a digital recording is easy to get onto a PC for editing?

steve albini put it best: "digital is fine for video games...." http://www.mtsu.edu/~nadam/downloads/Stevealbiniweb.html 

but, this is a huge issue with lot of reasons why not. for me, i can't find any good blanks. mostly, we like our digi-toys and don't like schlepping all the extra stuff. giving the music out is easier with file dumping > computer.  we're used to hearing the familiar *boom-tizz* of digital sound... so that's what we stay with. what else? i'm sure there are lotsa other reason/s.

db

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2007, 01:39:45 PM »
the EASY way to track 24-bit audio while creating a 16/44 and/or ogg/mp3s as well

I am using a pdaudiocf+live2496, it creates wavs at 2gb and auto-splits to a new file (seamless).

You will need:

soundforge 6 or higher
latest version of cd wav
latest version of flac (1.2.0)
a computer with a good chunk of free space (20gb is nice)

say i have two files of a first set i recorded, that is 1-2 hours total, sci2007-07-27-001.wav and sci2007-07-27-002.wav

open them in soundforge, paste .002 onto the back of .001, trim ends of the sets, add fades.

save this file as sci2007-07-27s1t.w64

(note that is a w64 file, NOT a wav file!)

open the w64 with cdwav. track it. the files will automatically number themselves sci2007-07-27s1t01, 02, etc. I then rename them as sci2007-07-27s1t01-Track_name.wav

save these files with cdwav, md5 wavs, flac em with flac 1.2.0, tag using godfather (it parses the track names from the filenames , ffp, and finally md5 em. note that cdwav can write directly to flac, but its not using the latest version at this time, i'd recommend flac 1.2.0

save the cue sheet in cd wav, you'll use it later on the 16bit files

go back and open up the .w64 file in soundforge. resample to 44.1, bit depth convert to 16bit. save this file as  sci2007-07-27d1t.wav. since you used 'save as' , you still have sci2007-07-27s1t.wav

(note that is a wav file, youre well under 2gb now)

open the wav with cdwav. load the cue sheet from your othertrack it. the files will automatically be numbered as before, sci2007-07-27s1t01-Track_name.wav, etc. Change all the 's's to d's, so you end up with sci2007-07-27d1t01-Track_name.wav. you will need to figure out your d2/d3 split and name accordingly.
save these files, godfather, flac, end of story.

that whole process takes less than an hour per show assuming you are resampling another set in the background while tracking in cdwav. while cdwav is writing files, its a great time to make your txt file bc the tacknames and times are right in front of you. you now have the whole show in flac in both 24/96 and 16/44 flacs, you can ditch your w64's. I like to keep the uncut w64's around until i get a chance to listen to the tracked show all the way thru. If you need to do any sort of editing/retracking/etc, its easier to go back to the uncut file, and since you saved your cue sheets, retracking is instant

I then use my flac transcoder script to make oggs/mp3s as required, since the flacs are properly tagged, its a single right-click and youre done. (http://www.simplefuels.com/tapergeek/flac-transcoder.htm).

results can be seen here:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508666

I have yet to upload the 24/96 filesets of these

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com